Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Hayward  (Read 9914 times)

Jackie Mac on Hayward
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26131924/the-waiting-gordon-hayward-hardest-part

"I never felt like guys were frustrated with me," Hayward said, "but you could feel that guys were frustrated with their situation. Everyone in the NBA wants a bigger role. It was tough on everybody. We were trying to win basketball games, but at the same time, I was trying to get back to being the player I was, and some of that involved getting reps."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Jackie Mac on Hayward
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Quote from: Jackie Mac
Hayward's difficulties were compounded by back woes stemming from atrophied muscles that had not been fired for nearly a year. He received injections to ease the pain, but it further limited his mobility -- and further delayed his progress.

I don't remember hearing that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Hayward's difficulties were compounded by back woes stemming from atrophied muscles that had not been fired for nearly a year. He received injections to ease the pain, but it further limited his mobility -- and further delayed his progress.

Yeah I think that this is the first we are hearing about this. The article definitely makes you feel bad for Hayward. I hope that he continues to progress this season, even if it’s not ultimately where many of us want him to be.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I’m starting to think Jackie Mac is the problem.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Key takeaways... not much talk about him being physically limited at this point. We've seen some huge games from him. They admit he was slow earlier in the season, not physically ready, and also dealt with a back injury. They admit that making him try to play into shape backfired as it caused some friction with guys on the bench who thought they deserved the opportunity. And now the issue is that the team doesn't consistently go to him - instead going to "the hot hand"... Gonna be really hard for my man to win Eastern Conference Player of the Month based on the rough start, but there's still time if Brad gives him a greater opportunity with some consistent touches.

Also, very interesting to see Hayward admit that he got the sense players on the team were frustrated that his minutes were limiting their role... and that he's had to see a mental health counselor to get through this tough season. 

I'm rooting for him.  Shame we're in the midst of this "Too Many Guys" nightmare and can't just force-feed him minutes and touches until get gets back into a rhythm. 

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I dont buy the atrophied muscles at all.

e broke his leg, not his back and neck, so I do not see any reason why he would have his back messed up from said atrophied muscles.

There were tonnes of videos o him shooting from chairs, in a cast etc.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Key takeaways... not much talk about him being physically limited at this point. We've seen some huge games from him. They admit he was slow earlier in the season, not physically ready, and also dealt with a back injury. They admit that making him try to play into shape backfired as it caused some friction with guys on the bench who thought they deserved the opportunity. And now the issue is that the team doesn't consistently go to him - instead going to "the hot hand"... Gonna be really hard for my man to win Eastern Conference Player of the Month based on the rough start, but there's still time if Brad gives him a greater opportunity with some consistent touches.

Also, very interesting to see Hayward admit that he got the sense players on the team were frustrated that his minutes were limiting their role... and that he's had to see a mental health counselor to get through this tough season. 

I'm rooting for him.  Shame we're in the midst of this "Too Many Guys" nightmare and can't just force-feed him minutes and touches until get gets back into a rhythm.

Jackie Mac doesn't seem to agree with you:

Still, because the Celtics considered Hayward a key cog in their championship aspirations, they determined that the best way to help him rehab was to let him work out the kinks on the court. It was a strategy that backfired miserably. As Hayward faltered early in the season, his play became stilted, hesitant.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah that's news to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

e broke his leg, not his back and neck, so I do not see any reason why he would have his back messed up from said atrophied muscles.

Dude.  Please tell me you have a better understanding of how muscles work than this.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Jackie Mac doesn't seem to agree with you:

Still, because the Celtics considered Hayward a key cog in their championship aspirations, they determined that the best way to help him rehab was to let him work out the kinks on the court. It was a strategy that backfired miserably. As Hayward faltered early in the season, his play became stilted, hesitant.
She's referring to the first 17 games of the season when Hayward clearly wasn't ready.

I'm talking about right now. 

I see positive signs.  There's no talk of him still being physically limited.  This part stands out:

"Even if I was fully healthy, there would be nights, production-wise, where the numbers just aren't going to be there," Hayward said. "Somebody gets hot or I'm not shooting well, and we go in a different direction, and that's how it's going to be. And that's never happened to me before.

"When it does happen, it's like, 'Oh, physically he's not there yet.' In my mind, I'm saying, 'No, no, I'm fine. The opportunities just weren't there.'"

We're at a point now where I'd be very much in favor of feeding him minutes and touches with hope that he can return to that star player... because I don't see that happening with him getting 17 minutes and 5 shots off the bench every night.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah that's news to me.
I remember seeing stuff about it on reddit, but really early in the season.  Here's an article from October:  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950788/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-says-managing-back-pain

In case you missed it, there were also comments throughout the season that Hayward was still rehabbing, still dealing with soreness... there were comments about him him needing to "grind out scar tissue"... at one point he himself said he hoped to be more physically ready around April.   This hasn't all been mental... he's dealt with real physical limitations.  I'm just saying that right now... I don't see much in this article that suggests he's STILL physically limited and his recent play (especially before the all-star break) suggests he might be ready to take on a far larger role than he has right now.  I'd like to see us feed him and hope that he gets in a rhythm.  Our season might hinge on it.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Dude.  Please tell me you have a better understanding of how muscles work than this.

I think he’s joking...? I mean, I hope to God he’s joking.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah that's news to me.

There was an article at the beginning of the season about his back pain. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950788/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-says-managing-back-pain
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

Others have posted the link.  Shooting from a chair would give me back pain.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 06:14:37 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I remember hearing a snippet about the back issue, but had no idea it was that bad.  I really wish we had considered utilizing the G-League to get him some reps before rejoining the team.  I know the competition level is terrible, but it may have helped him come along at his own pace.  The guy was cleared for 5 on 5 like two weeks before the start of camp.