Poll

Will Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like  he did at Gonzaga.

Yes. Olynyk Will put on a Clinic just like he did in college.
25 (30.5%)
No. The Clinic will be shut down.
32 (39%)
I'm not sure Olynyk freaks me out.
25 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.  (Read 17821 times)

Re: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think KO is who he is for the most part.

The best we can hope is that he learns to have more of his "assertive" performances as opposed to his passive ones.

But hey, didn't we play that game with Jeff Green the whole time he was here? 

Some guys just don't have the makeup to be a focal point of the game plan each night.  Kelly seems like he's more content to be a role player, and his talents probably are best aligned for that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I went with the I don't know option, only because I don't think he will be 'shut down'. I think Kelly may improve slightly, but will most likely continue to consistently produce with however many minutes he gets.

Like others, I would love to see him be a bit more aggressive, but that seems like one of those traits one either has or doesn't. If he somehow does break out of his shell, look for him to be productive because that would mean more minutes. He really does have all the tools, just seems afraid to use them.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Possibly. Here's a list of Centers and Power Forwards that were able to exceed KO's numbers from last year in their third year in the NBA while being roughly the same age. Do any of these look like "explosions" to you?

http://bkref.com/tiny/7eIP6

Thank you. TP for sending me to a link that reminded me that Bryant Reeves existed. Big Country!
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is so not college.  In his case he didn't even play in a major conference. Being a mildly athletic center who is 7ft tall in a mid major conference is not at all comparable to the NBA. Yes he can get better, but so can a lot of other players.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mental issues like lacking confidence are sometimes harder to fix than physical ones.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
1. Is he going to take a full year off to work on his conditioning, like he did then?

2. Do we expect that another year off at age 23 would have the same effect on development as the year taken at age 20?

3. If you took every player in the league and whited out a full year from their history at age 20, how many of them would look like they "exploded" between age 19 and age 21?

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It is possible that at some point he will make a giant leap on offense. I don't see any reason to expect an enormous jump, but these things are usually hard to predict.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Not sure he wants to be the hero .....every night .     If he goes off has a great game ...yeah he is happy .....but he seems content to have a starter hero game just once in a while .....like Jeff Green

I think he ll be a nice 6 or 7 man , but I thinks he is just content with a secondary role . If the game comes easy , then he shines .

Other wise KO is the type to just hide , if it's not his scoring night.

It's the players who force themselves to make an impact . Don't give up if the shot isn't falling .

If their shot is off , they'll do everything else they can to see that the team gets a victory.

This type of player

Is called.        Marcus Smart.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
KO will explode and put more people in the clinic. Just like what happened to Love. The foul machine is turning it up. Watch out NBA the arm-bar assassin has heard the pop and now wants to hear it again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:11:39 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Hopefully he just continues to improve and stays healthy.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It's his head I worry about more than his abilities. I've seen a lot of things positive about what he can do, but he's got to take the shot when it's there. Defensively he's not as bad as people claim here and he's a (late blooming) big so figure 5 years for that to be where he needs to be (or at least better).

He still seems like a boy playing against men to me and the mental part of the game is big.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Possibly. Here's a list of Centers and Power Forwards that were able to exceed KO's numbers from last year in their third year in the NBA while being roughly the same age. Do any of these look like "explosions" to you?

http://bkref.com/tiny/7eIP6

So you're saying Olynyk is going to play like Hakeem Olajuwon next season?  Nice.  8)

Actually, if you expand the search criteria a little and click F-C too, you get a couple of players where it really looks like they did explode in that 3rd year. 

Former Celtic great Pervis Ellison:
10.4 to 20.0 ppg
7.7 to 11.2 rpg
1.3 to 2.9 apg
2.1 to 2.7 bpg
.542 to 574 TS%
15.9 to 19.9 PER

Otis Thorpe too:
9.9 to 18.9 ppg
5.6 to 10.0 rpg
1.1 to 2.5 apg
14.4 to 18.0 PER

But ya, I'm not expecting any kind of similar explosion from Olynyk.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think KO is who he is for the most part.

The best we can hope is that he learns to have more of his "assertive" performances as opposed to his passive ones.

But hey, didn't we play that game with Jeff Green the whole time he was here? 

Some guys just don't have the makeup to be a focal point of the game plan each night.  Kelly seems like he's more content to be a role player, and his talents probably are best aligned for that.

Agreed, but his good games have generally looked very good (though they're often quickly forgotten because his bad games look even worse).  It's not really a matter of a major improvement as a player so much as being able to more consistently be effective.  If Kelly can do that it'll look like a major step forward at least. 

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think one of the major problems with any of our guys 'exploding' is the limited minutes they get. It's not that Brad Stevens is a bad coach - obviously, it's just that the minutes allocation among our players is so even that we may not see all-star production from anybody anytime soon.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think one of the major problems with any of our guys 'exploding' is the limited minutes they get. It's not that Brad Stevens is a bad coach - obviously, it's just that the minutes allocation among our players is so even that we may not see all-star production from anybody anytime soon.
That became less of an issue as the season progressed and roles became defined.  But clearing up the Bass/Sully/Oly logjam will help.  All three of those guys are more or less on the same level.