Author Topic: Danny's type of players for the 2008 draft  (Read 17235 times)

Re: Danny's type of players for the 2008 draft
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
portland and minny have two early 2nd round picks and if danny thinks he can get a two for one deal like last year he will go through that route.

Might have to with our budget not being so great(only 1 million in cap opening up) and at least 3-4 players existing our roster almost definitely next year

Agreed about a 2-1 trade, especially with Portland known to deal on draft night. 

Trent Plaisted -- I know little about him, but #30 is too high for the guy.  If Cs trade down I could see it, but to give guaranteed money?  I have a hard time seeing that happening.  Draft express covered him a little bit RE: his Orlando pre-draft camp showing and it didn't seem like he was all that spectacular.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
portland and minny have two early 2nd round picks and if danny thinks he can get a two for one deal like last year he will go through that route.

Might have to with our budget not being so great(only 1 million in cap opening up) and at least 3-4 players existing our roster almost definitely next year

Agreed about a 2-1 trade, especially with Portland known to deal on draft night. 

Trent Plaisted -- I know little about him, but #30 is too high for the guy.  If Cs trade down I could see it, but to give guaranteed money?  I have a hard time seeing that happening.  Draft express covered him a little bit RE: his Orlando pre-draft camp showing and it didn't seem like he was all that spectacular.

Theoretically, early 2nd round picks are more valuable than late 1st round ones - no guaranteed contract and the talent is only marginally worse. Only if we draft a player they really, really love, they'd consider to trade up.

I had the chance of watching some tape of Plaisted and he doesn't look like NBA material - no energy, no hustle, very tentative in the offense... the center of the opponent team was a 6-6 or something and he was dominating the paint. I saw a very impressive player in that BYU team, a winger named Cummard (he's the guy behind Plaisted in his DX profile photo).

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I don't know much about most players. But I would lean towards Mario Chalmers-especially after the big shot he hit against Memphis I think. But I would look to Chris Douglas-Roberts (I'm probably dreaming here), if not, then Bill Walker, I think he would be an absolute steal (esp. when all the hype is on his teammate Beasley-and I'm not worried about his injury/form). Another player might be Jason Thompson.

I would look to draft CDR first, then Walker, Thompson and Chalmers, hopefully 1 of these 4 will be available for us.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I don't know much about most players. But I would lean towards Mario Chalmers-especially after the big shot he hit against Memphis I think. But I would look to Chris Douglas-Roberts (I'm probably dreaming here), if not, then Bill Walker, I think he would be an absolute steal (esp. when all the hype is on his teammate Beasley-and I'm not worried about his injury/form). Another player might be Jason Thompson.

I would look to draft CDR first, then Walker, Thompson and Chalmers, hopefully 1 of these 4 will be available for us.

my draft board here basically echoes yours. CDR first then, then thompson, then hardin. cdr reminds me a lot of paul when paul came out. walker in a recent interview confessed to being a huge paul pierce fan and believed he would fit very well in the offense we run here. hes lost a bunch of weight and projects well as a grest wing finisher and defender and he couldnt find a better place to fit in and learn behind paul and ray.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:37 AM »

Offline Mother

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Danny doesn't focus on conditioned players.  Kendrick Perkins was bigger than Big Baby when Ainge drafted him.  Ainge focuses on basketball IQ and character more than conditioning.  His choice of Tony Allen and Marcus Banks were about adding athleticism to a team that lacked this quality.  Based on the OP, I'm going to regroup, we should be trying to get into Ainge's head and set up a list of guys he would be targeted based on what he likes. 

I agree that Ainge has no history of drafting foreigners to stash in Europe, but this could be a different situation if Ainge has his eye on Aussie big man Nathan Jawai or dirty-work PF Nicola Pekovic.  As far as the two Turkish big men, Asik and Erden, they're both too thin to have an impact in the NBA.  All of these aren't really Ainge guys though (Maybe Pekovic due to his grittiness and smarts around the hoop. 

I think the Trent Plasited and Gary Forbes suggestions are surely "Ainge Guys".  Forbes has a nice midrange game offensively, can pass, and is a big guard who can play the point.  His athleticism isn't on the level of joe johnson, but his playing style is similar.  DJ White is an Ainge guy for sure, great hustle player with a polished back-to-the-basket post game (unlike Powe or Baby) and nice length despite being a bit short for a PF.  Jason Thompson is for sure an "Ainge Guy," due to his character and work ethic, but he hasn't really played against the top D1 competition and this could hurt his stock.

Devon hardin is a bust waiting to happen.  He may have 4.0 GPA but he has underachieved at every level he played at, including summer leagues.  He has no offensive skills excpet for put-backs.  The only reason he's on the NBA radar is because of his freak body, but in game situations, he's quite disapointing.  Ainge doesn't like to take risks like this.  Strike him from this list, please.

I agree with Who that Ainge wouldn't want three young PGs and thus will target someone who can play some SG (Tony Allen is a free agent, I believe) like Lester Hudson, Kyle Weaver or Gary Forbes.

For sure-fire "Ainge Guys" I think we're looking at:

Forbes
Kyle Weaver
Lester Hudson
JJ Hickson
DJ White
Trent Plaisted
Pekovic
Jason Thompson

Here's the thing:  Are any of these guys first round picks?

This is a very interesting draft because from picks #22 to 40, there isn't a huge difference in talent.  What this means is players will move around, and someone will slip down lower than expected.  Whoever Ainge likes, might not matter in this situation.  For example, what happens if Roy Hibbert is available, or if no one has selected Kosta Koufos yet when it's our turn?  What if Serge Ibaka is available at #30???  Ainge is going to come in with a plan and have a list of players who are his stype, but I have a feeling he's going to have a choice of 2-3 players who might not fit his ideals but are certainly more talented than Trent Plaisted or Gary Forbes.

I think we are just going to have to be patient and wait to see who falls on the day. 

Having said all this, I think someone will take a chance on Bill Walker in the late first round.  This guy was a lottery pick before his injury, and someone's going to try to steel him as a sleeper.  I can't decide if Ainge would take that chance...

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Don't forget about the Brain Doctor.  I think Danny likes high IQ guys and guys that are defensive minded or those that have the tools to play good defense.  When he traded for KG, he got rid of everyone except those that can play defense:  PP, Rondo, Perk, Scal, Tony (he was also with the exception of Big Al, able to keep the best player he had at each position).

I don't particularly care to go for a foreign player.  A lot of them are known for not playing defense or being soft (see the teams with multiple Euro players - Lakers, Toronto). BUT, if Danny does pick a  European player, I'm sure that player will have defensive capabilities. Please call me out of I'm stereotyping, because that's not what I want to do, just how I see it.

All that being said, I like Chalmers, CDR and Rush.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I want Hudson, the kid is in great physical shape.  He does remind me a lot of Rodney Stuckey.  He is a little older and did have some issues, but I think he's got his head on right now.  He's an amazing scorer and it seems as if he's shown the ability to play some point guard.
do it

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
DJ White had a really good workout for the Grizzlies (Lakers pick No.28) the other day. He was beating guys up in the paint and snatching rebounds with authority. This is a player I like very much.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

i don't think one big shot should determine whether or not to draft a player. if you wouldn't take him before that shot, don't take him because of it.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
i'd beware of plaisted, as it turns out he has shorter than expected wingspan and reach, but he is pretty fast and athletic.

i wouldn't mind taking a chance on Hardin, he's very strong, likes to block shots and rebound, and has very ideal size, especially at 30. and what about hendrix out of alabama? he's shorter than hardin, but has the same wingspan and only an inch and a half shorter standing reach than hardin, so he's bigger than he seems. he seems like a danny guy: overlooked, very strong and athletic with success at the college level and 3 years in school. i think i'd be happy with chancing either hardin or hendrix at 30.  i also keep hoping robin lopez slips, i like his defense and rebounding.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Danny doesn't focus on conditioned players.  Kendrick Perkins was bigger than Big Baby when Ainge drafted him.  Ainge focuses on basketball IQ and character more than conditioning.  His choice of Tony Allen and Marcus Banks were about adding athleticism to a team that lacked this quality.  Based on the OP, I'm going to regroup, we should be trying to get into Ainge's head and set up a list of guys he would be targeted based on what he likes. 

I agree that Ainge has no history of drafting foreigners to stash in Europe, but this could be a different situation if Ainge has his eye on Aussie big man Nathan Jawai or dirty-work PF Nicola Pekovic.  As far as the two Turkish big men, Asik and Erden, they're both too thin to have an impact in the NBA.  All of these aren't really Ainge guys though (Maybe Pekovic due to his grittiness and smarts around the hoop. 

I think the Trent Plasited and Gary Forbes suggestions are surely "Ainge Guys".  Forbes has a nice midrange game offensively, can pass, and is a big guard who can play the point.  His athleticism isn't on the level of joe johnson, but his playing style is similar.  DJ White is an Ainge guy for sure, great hustle player with a polished back-to-the-basket post game (unlike Powe or Baby) and nice length despite being a bit short for a PF.  Jason Thompson is for sure an "Ainge Guy," due to his character and work ethic, but he hasn't really played against the top D1 competition and this could hurt his stock.

Devon hardin is a bust waiting to happen.  He may have 4.0 GPA but he has underachieved at every level he played at, including summer leagues.  He has no offensive skills excpet for put-backs.  The only reason he's on the NBA radar is because of his freak body, but in game situations, he's quite disapointing.  Ainge doesn't like to take risks like this.  Strike him from this list, please.

I agree with Who that Ainge wouldn't want three young PGs and thus will target someone who can play some SG (Tony Allen is a free agent, I believe) like Lester Hudson, Kyle Weaver or Gary Forbes.

For sure-fire "Ainge Guys" I think we're looking at:

Forbes
Kyle Weaver
Lester Hudson
JJ Hickson
DJ White
Trent Plaisted
Pekovic
Jason Thompson

Here's the thing:  Are any of these guys first round picks?

This is a very interesting draft because from picks #22 to 40, there isn't a huge difference in talent.  What this means is players will move around, and someone will slip down lower than expected.  Whoever Ainge likes, might not matter in this situation.  For example, what happens if Roy Hibbert is available, or if no one has selected Kosta Koufos yet when it's our turn?  What if Serge Ibaka is available at #30???  Ainge is going to come in with a plan and have a list of players who are his stype, but I have a feeling he's going to have a choice of 2-3 players who might not fit his ideals but are certainly more talented than Trent Plaisted or Gary Forbes.

I think we are just going to have to be patient and wait to see who falls on the day. 

Having said all this, I think someone will take a chance on Bill Walker in the late first round.  This guy was a lottery pick before his injury, and someone's going to try to steel him as a sleeper.  I can't decide if Ainge would take that chance...

Great post, I agree with all of this.  Although I will add that the fact that Ainge hasn't drafted foreigners to store overseas before, doesn't mean he won't do it this year.  This is the first time he has had a veteran roster, trying to win a championship, where roster spots and money can be better used on veterans who can help immediately.

So I think we need to make two lists here.  A list of potential sliders, and a list of guys who will likely be available if the draft goes to form.

I like your list of players that would be looked at if no one slides (I would add Courtney Lee and Ajinka to it as well).

Here is a list of potential sliders that might really intrigue Ainge:

CDR
Rush
Walker
Koufos (I would actually look to trade up for him...I think he is going to be a hell of a player)
Hibbert (I want no part of him, but Danny will look closely at him if he slips)
Batum
Robin Lopez (he could immediately be our backup center)

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Koufos (I would actually look to trade up for him...I think he is going to be a hell of a player)
How likely do you think it is that Koufos fulfills his potential?

I love the talent and skill set that's already present and think he could be a very good NBA player if everything works out. I'm just not sure how big of a risk it is. I'd definitely pick him in the 14-20 range just because of the potential.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Pekovic can't play PF in the NBA (he doesn't even play at the 4 in Europe). He'll be a slightly undersized center, if he ever comes over. And believe me in this: right now, he's the best center in this draft, heads and shoulders above anyone else (as he's very near his peak,if not there, in a couple of years the picture will change) and would be a respectable contender for the ROY award. But if he's drafted with the 30th (or, for that matter, with any 1st round post-lotto pick), he won't join in the next 10 years. 

I like the CDR and Brandon Rush picks very much. Players that can help next year and replace Allen, playing some minutes at the 2 and 3 positions during the regular season. Not Chalmers - we already have Pruitt and I don't think there's much of a difference.

I suppose I had the bad luck of only watching Walker on his bad days. He looked so out of control in the offensive side... I always thought of him as that kind of player who'll be a turnover machine during his first years in the NBA - not what we need in this team.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:38:58 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
How likely do you think it is that Koufos fulfills his potential?

I love the talent and skill set that's already present and think he could be a very good NBA player if everything works out. I'm just not sure how big of a risk it is. I'd definitely pick him in the 14-20 range just because of the potential.

Well, I don't know if he will truly fulfill his potential, because he has the potential of a top 3 pick.  However, I feel very confident that he will be a very solid perimeter big man, who can still play in the post, somewhere between Troy Murphy and Mehmet Okur. 

If someone like that were to drop into the 20's, then I think he would definitely be worth moving up to try to take.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I have a gut feeling the C's will trade the pick, whether it be a package to move up or have more picks down, or anything else that might surprise us. I dream that they would package Scal (he could be better on another team, not injury reserve) , for extra money to use, but I dunno.