Author Topic: Chad Ford's Third Mock Draft  (Read 14172 times)

Re: Chad Ford's Third Mock Draft
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Celtics' international scouting operation isn't San Antonio's one. This is a reason why I find it hard to believe they'll draft someone like Ajinca or Ibaka, about whom they can't know that much.

I've also been puzzled with so many mock drafts (it's not only Chad's) having us picking a foreigner. Maybe it's because they want to save the roster spot and the money. But we'll need guys to practice and the #30 is not that expensive...

Frankly, if we keep the pick, I can't see an Euro who would make sense to draft in the 1st round. Danillo is a lotto pick, Pekovic will simply stay in Europe making millions and winning titles, Batum won't fall that far. There'll be plenty of foreign prospects available to draft'n'stash in the 2nd round. Ainge has proved he's pretty good finding talent in the late 1st round, so he'll manage to get a good college player this year, probably a winger - unlike many here, I'm not high on Bill Walker; but I like what I've seen from Douglas-Roberts. I only hope he doesn't pick Plaisted.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think that's a misconception, I think he just hasn't found an overseas player worth the risk that coinciding with his draft position that he'd take over an American youth whom he has seen in person.  But if he doesn't trade the pick I think it'll happen this draft at some point.

I agree, most people believed he would have taken Yi if we stayed at the 5th spot. I think personally Ainge will surprise everyone and roll the dice on someone that is a fringe 1st-2nd rounder which after 20 you could make the case everyone is. I would go with Jawai and have him sign with a super euro team. His attributes are fantastic however I never knew the Aussie basketball league had amazing talent. Plus the fact hes only played organized basketball a few years. He needs to learn plays, I however ultimately see us drafting a guy with a high basketball IQ. All the guys presently on the roster have that, and to a lesser extent the past few years (except G-Money, whom was drafted for value and talent purposes.) this is why I HATED to see Gomes go. Big Al was the center of that deal but Gomes by the end of his career will show people why that was a good deal for both sides. However Ainge drafts for high IQ, always has always will.

PS. We traded our pick last year, and in 2009 if my memory serves me correct isn't it illegal as of last year to trade 1st rounders two years in a row?

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »

Offline 2008champs

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think Drew Neitzel is a possibility.  He's got some of Delonte's game, and Ainge liked Delonte.

Joe Crawford seems to have lost some weight and looks quicker and more explosive.  He might be someone to look at with our 2nd round pick.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think that's a misconception, I think he just hasn't found an overseas player worth the risk that coinciding with his draft position that he'd take over an American youth whom he has seen in person.  But if he doesn't trade the pick I think it'll happen this draft at some point.

I agree, most people believed he would have taken Yi if we stayed at the 5th spot. I think personally Ainge will surprise everyone and roll the dice on someone that is a fringe 1st-2nd rounder which after 20 you could make the case everyone is. I would go with Jawai and have him sign with a super euro team. His attributes are fantastic however I never knew the Aussie basketball league had amazing talent. Plus the fact hes only played organized basketball a few years. He needs to learn plays, I however ultimately see us drafting a guy with a high basketball IQ. All the guys presently on the roster have that, and to a lesser extent the past few years (except G-Money, whom was drafted for value and talent purposes.) this is why I HATED to see Gomes go. Big Al was the center of that deal but Gomes by the end of his career will show people why that was a good deal for both sides. However Ainge drafts for high IQ, always has always will.

PS. We traded our pick last year, and in 2009 if my memory serves me correct isn't it illegal as of last year to trade 1st rounders two years in a row?

IIRC, we didn't trade our pick last year, but the rights to Jeff Green. We can do the same thing this year.

About Jawai: I like the clips and what the draft sites have been writing about him. But the NBL is a rather weak league: Chris Anstey is the perennial MVP and guys like Darnell Hinson, Carlos Powell and Ebi Ere are top players there. I'm always wary of foreigners who haven't played in top leagues (Euroleague, ACB, ULEB, La Lega, etc.) or for their national teams (Jawai never did). Usually, they turn out to be busts. Will he be working out for the Celtics? And it won't be that easy to find an European powerhouse who'll take him and provide him minutes if he's very raw. 

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I pointed this out in his second mock but Ty Lawson was not picked.  I would like to see him in green.  If so that pick follows Dannys MO.  Successful college player from big time conference who drops due to size issues.  I know he isnt an undersized big, but he is a push the ball kind of PG that I would love to see on this team.

A write up on one of his workouts
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Orlandostockwatch080529
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:23:00 PM by quikblink »

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've said it in other threads. If Aleks Maric, the 6'11" 275lb. center from Nebraska by way of Australia is still there in the second round, they should take a flyer on him.

He's big. He can score in the low post. He's a great position rebounder. And he'll hustle to he drops dead.

He may not be the most athletic or talented guy available but for a second rounder he might make a great backup center someday.

And you can't teach size. And he's extremely intelligent.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Danny Ainge said if we didn't get Ray Allen last year he would have taken Yi Jianlian so him not liking foreign players is not true at all. Anyway, I really do like Nikola Pekovic but I doubt he ever comes over. He just signed a three year contract with another European team, so even if he ever does come over it likely won't be until his early 30's when he decides he's accomplished everything in the Euroleague, and at which point his usefulness won't be very.. well, useful.

So, I'd just be more than happy to see Billy Walker at 30.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Drew Neitzel is a possibility.  He's got some of Delonte's game, and Ainge liked Delonte.

Joe Crawford seems to have lost some weight and looks quicker and more explosive.  He might be someone to look at with our 2nd round pick.

I like Neitzel, but he definitely would be a HUGE stretch at 30.  I actually think there is a good chance that he goes completely undrafted (in which case, he would be a decent guy to invite to camp).

Honestly though, I think the chances of them picking a PG are incredibly slim.  I could see them look at Lawson, but he is really the only guy.  They already have Rondo, and Pruitt is a good fit as a potential backup...but I really expect them to solidify that position with a veteran (Duhon, Anthony Johnson, etc).  They certainly don't need a 3rd young PG unless he is a can't miss prospect...and I don't see any of them late in this draft.
Danny Ainge said if we didn't get Ray Allen last year he would have taken Yi Jianlian so him not liking foreign players is not true at all. Anyway, I really do like Nikola Pekovic but I doubt he ever comes over. He just signed a three year contract with another European team, so even if he ever does come over it likely won't be until his early 30's when he decides he's accomplished everything in the Euroleague, and at which point his usefulness won't be very.. well, useful.

So, I'd just be more than happy to see Billy Walker at 30.

I agree about the international players.  I think Ainge is definitely intrigued by many of them (he has been linked to them in the past as well), and I think he would love the idea of getting a steal late in the first round, because a player won't come over for a year or two, or they just haven't gotten the exposure of other guys.

I also agree about Pekovic though.  Although he sounds intriguing, he also sounds committed to not coming to the NBA anytime soon (if at all).  Sure, it could all be a smokescreen, so he is picked by the team he wants to go to...but I have a feeling he really just doesn't want to come here.

Given the Celtics current situation, I don't understand the logic of drafting a guy and "storing" him overseas for a couple of years.  Why would the Celtics want to bring over a useful prospect AFTER the team's championship window has begun closing?  Sam Posey, P.J. Brown, Eddie House, Tony Allen and Sam Cassell are all potential free agents who will need to be replaced. If the Celtics can't draft a center or wing who can help them at least by midseason, they will likely move the pick.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  By "storing" him over seas for a couple of years, it opens up a Roster spot (and possibly saves them money.  Then they can use that roster spot to fill with a veteran who is more likely to contribute in the next couple of years, rather than a kid who likely is still learning the game.

Generally speaking, you rarely get guys at the end of the first round, who have both potential, and are ready to play.  Generally they are either very raw, but with a ton of upside (Ajinka is definitely in this group), or they are ready to contribute, but don't have much of a future as more than a role player.

I believe that is what this team did with Dino Radja. Bulls also did this with Kukoc.

It also is what the Spurs have done year after year...although lately it hasn't been paying off as well, as they haven't been able to get the guys to come over when they finally want them.

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Given the Celtics current situation, I don't understand the logic of drafting a guy and "storing" him overseas for a couple of years.  Why would the Celtics want to bring over a useful prospect AFTER the team's championship window has begun closing?  Sam Posey, P.J. Brown, Eddie House, Tony Allen and Sam Cassell are all potential free agents who will need to be replaced. If the Celtics can't draft a center or wing who can help them at least by midseason, they will likely move the pick.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  By "storing" him over seas for a couple of years, it opens up a Roster spot (and possibly saves them money.  Then they can use that roster spot to fill with a veteran who is more likely to contribute in the next couple of years, rather than a kid who likely is still learning the game.

Generally speaking, you rarely get guys at the end of the first round, who have both potential, and are ready to play.  Generally they are either very raw, but with a ton of upside (Ajinka is definitely in this group), or they are ready to contribute, but don't have much of a future as more than a role player.

Example: Alonzo Mourning says if he is healthy he'd like one more year.  He would be a perfect guy for KG and Pierce to try to romance to come up and back up Perk.

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:22 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
mario chalmers is a more realistic pick for us to get. If we really get lucky maybe devon hardin drops all the way down to us

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't put much stock in the mock drafts until about a week before the draft. There's just too many draft camps, personal workouts, and team sponsered tryouts that take place as well as the interviews that need to occur. Stll way too much time to make firm projections.

That said, I like Hardin, Hickson and Douglas-Roberts, the three guys selected right in front of Boston. Many of the mock drafts have Danny going with a foreign prospect and doing the San Antonio training thing by leaving them in Europe. I don't see that happening.

Danny, if they keep the pick, which I seriously doubt they will, will go with the best player available, not the best Euro available who he can leave there and allow to develop. If the Euro happens to be the best player he will be chosen but many mock drafters have him going Euro just for the sake of going Euro. Big mistake of an assumption, I think.

I say the Celtics have already indicated they will not get younger this year because they pulled out of the Summer League. I also think that Danny thinks he has got enough young players right now and needs to see where they stand before trying to go further with more youth.

Look for a trade that moves the both picks(1st and 2nd) for a future pick, or an outright sale of the pick itself. Just my opinion.

I as a fan have seen other teams like phoenix sell their picks and it always makes me cringe. If they sell their pick it will be extremely upsetting. I think they pulled out of the summer league because they don't want a team filled entirely of rookies. Powe shouldn't be on the team. Baby and Pruitt plus the other rookies would be the only players with a shot of making it (this is their thinking I strongly disagree because the real fans love to watch summer league games)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Why does Ford keep having the Celtics take foreign bigs?
Danny drafts domestic doesn't he? I can't think of a single foreigner drafted since Danny took over.

I always thought that he liked the comfort zone that came along with drafting American players. The better understanding of what you're getting and what level of competition they're playing against.

Anyways that's not a reason for him not drafting an international player in the future. It would surprise me though.

I think he drafted Darius Songalia and tried to stash him but Songalia refused to be stashed so he tried out, got cut, and signed elsewhere making him a wasted pick. I think

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:40 PM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
Songaila was traded to the Kings, never got the chance to play for the C's

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Obie didn't like Songaila because he didn't have 3 point range.  That's why he was traded for two second rounders.

Chad is beginning to figure it out.  A player like Ajinca makes excellent sense for the Celtics-- assuming he's there at #30.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This is true, although this happened a year after the C's refused to invite him to camp, and essentially forced him to go to Europe for a year.  He made it incredibly clear after he was drafted that he did not want to go to Europe, but the C's didn't give him a choice.  I have always assumed that Songaila's agent forced the trade, because he was still so p---ed that they wouldn't even give him a chance in camp.