Author Topic: Question about the Draft Lottery  (Read 5629 times)

Question about the Draft Lottery
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:55:45 AM »

Offline cfly34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Hi All,
I was hoping someone had the answer to something I didn't quite understand from the draft lottery.

How is it that when Milwaukee came up at 8 the commentator said, 'Well that means Chicago has moved up into the top three'?  How was that known? I thought the lottery was just based on a trended probability. I couldn't figure this out and couldn't sleep a wink last night just fretting for an answer. Please help me bring closure to this crisis.

Thanks!!!

Re: Question about the Draft Lottery
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Because if there was no lottery, that is where the Bulls would have picked. 

The fact they got skipped there means they had jumped up to the top 3. 

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline cfly34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
But why wouldn't it have been possible for the bulls to come out with the 7th, 6th, 5th or 4th pick? Why does not picking at 8 mean picking at 3 or above?

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Right.  Only the first three picks are determined by lottery; the rest of them go in reverse order.  Thus, if any team breaks / gets skipped in that reverse order, then it means they have moved up into the top 3.

The commentator couldn't tell Chicago had gotten the top pick, but he knew they were in the top three.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Lottery question ?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
When watching the lottery draft last night something struck me as odd, maybe someone here can help me out. I forget what team it was but it was up at around 10 and when they got it the announcer said Oh that means the Bulls are in the top 3.  How would he know that at that point?  Couldn't they have got 5 or maybe 7?

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
But why wouldn't it have been possible for the bulls to come out with the 7th, 6th, 5th or 4th pick? Why does not picking at 8 mean picking at 3 or above?

They could of had the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th.

There is no way that they could move up to 7.   Only the first 3 picks are chosen by lotto.  The rest are by record. 

Basically, either they win one of the top 3 picks

or

the three winning teams have worst records, they stay at 8

or

depending on how many teams with better records win the lotto, they move back. 

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I am not sure if someone already expressed this thought but...........

Last night was the draft lottery.  Think about it for one moment.  The draft lottery was held during half time of the Celtics Pistons playoff game.

Last year all of us were as despondent as it gets.  Last year we were all reporting to the Tobin because all our hopes were pinned on winning the NBA lottery.  This year (one year later) that same lottery was held during "Our" playoff game.

No Tobin this year, no talk of college talent, no talk of overseas talent - just hoops, hoops and more hoops.

Not exactly sure on how he got us here, but Danny is indeed the Executive of the Year.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.