Author Topic: Chad Ford's First Mock Draft  (Read 21796 times)

Chad Ford's First Mock Draft
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080520

He has Beasley 1, Rose 2, and the Celtics taking Ante Tomic a 7'2" Center from Croatia.  He says he is under contract for a few years so the Cs can just keep him overseas for the next few years while he develops and the Cs can make roster space.

It makes sense, but I would love a guy like Bill Walker or Chris Douglas Roberts who Chad has going just above our pick.

Re: Chad Ford's First Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
I trust in Ainge's ability to draft well late in the draft.If anybody can find a gem that late it's Danny

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
I trust in Ainge's ability to draft well late in the draft.If anybody can find a gem that late it's Danny

i agree, see powe, allen, west, davis, and gomes as examples.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »

Offline No Look Shot

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • Bwwwaaaaaht????
Whether it's a good move or not, you really couldn't come up with a more stereotypical Chad Ford projection than a 7'2 guy from Croatia named "Ante Tomic". Honestly, if I were Ford, I would just start making up people, like Zrgyen "The Passport" Gjarlyenko, the 16 year old, seven foot point guard from rural Khyrgistan.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Wow, I don't agree with Ford's mock at all.  I don't see how a player like Alexis Ajinca can slip out of the first round, and Nikola Pekovic is a better prospect than Tomic, who may go undrafted. Plus there are two young Turkish 7 footers who are probably better than Tomic.

This mock is just silly, although I agree that the Celtics ought to consider an international player who can be stashed in Euroleague for a year or two.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Like Brick, I agree with the concept of drafted a talented but under contract Euro player; teams can find some legit Euro talent late in the draft, like Scola, Splitter, and Fernandez.  If the Celtics can't find anybody to help now, they should plan for their long-term future.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
The point is that your draft choices cost double when you are in luxury tax land.  No point in paying double for a player who can't help immediately.  What they need is a good young Euro with "upside."  The same is true for their second rounder.

Having said that, I would take Bill Walker with pick #30 if he were available.  The C's need to think about replacing Ray Allen, and it doesn't look like Tony Allen will be resigned.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline Zarex

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
The idea of stashing a raw European prospect overseas for a year or two would be intriguing if the core of this Celtics team was in their mid or late twenties.  But with a championship window of 3-5 years max, the C's need immediate help.  Danny has avoided foreign prospects during his tenure, leading me to believe he'll try to acquire a rotation-quality American prospect with the (hopefully) 30th pick.

I would try to draft a platoon "big" to replace P.J. or perhaps bring in "Ray Allen insurance" at the end of the 1st round.  Danny should worry about a long term plan after Garnett and Pierce retire.  

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:13:12 AM by Zarex »

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yup, if Danny doesn't find that rare, worthwhile big (perhaps a European) late enough in the draft, I could see him shopping for a good-sized 2 guard with potential--as neither Allen is looking too good right now.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
The chance of getting immediate help with pick #30 is very small.  If they want immediate help, their best bet is a probably a guy like Mario Chalmers (if available) who can be a servicable backup to Rondo if House is not resigned.

Any big man available at #30 will be a project, unless it's a Euro, and even then there are no steals like Tiago Splitter or Luis Scola available in this year's draft.

If they want help now, it will have to be a free agent, not a draft pick.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
*New replies while I was typing, added more to the bottom

While there aren't a ton of holes on this team, I think they need to draft the best player available and the one most likely to help asap.  The KG Celtics are almost definitely the best C's team we're going to see in the next ten years and they need to capitalize and try to win as many titles as they can within this window.

Not saying completely disregard the future, but Euros are so hard to project at the NBA level and I don't want this pick to go to waste considering they don't have a 1st rounder next year. Best big man or best pure scorer left should be the pick. 

The future will depend on what Ainge does with the Big Three - or more specifically Ray Allen's contract when they're expiring. Right now he should be looking for a guy that can be a solid role player next season. The stash-a-Euro plan looks great on paper but the C's aren't rebuilding anymore, Ainge doesn't need to hit a home run with every pick.  He just needs steady contributors, which he happens to be great at finding, even after pick #30.

Brick I do agree that the best bet for sure help is a free agent, but I'm not so quick to write off the 30th pick.....also I'm too long winded and was beaten to pretty much all of my points.

"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Zarex

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
If they want help now, it will have to be a free agent, not a draft pick.

Though later picks had much bigger impacts as rookies when the team was terrible, Big Baby has certainly been a useful player for the C's in his first year.  The team is unlikely to draft a top 8 player, but could Danny land a guy who dresses for games with a late 1st? A guy who has the potential to develop over the course of the season and be effective late in the year? It's reasonable to believe so.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Do we really need help ASAP?  We are in the Conference Finals!  The rotation is already a bit much for Doc to handle.  Euros arent as tough to project as they once were, and its one of the safer bets to get talent so low.

I agree that Bill Walker would be fantastic, but I think his stock will rise more than any other prospect before the draft.  I trust Danny 100% here, but I think it is a bit much to say we need a 15 min/game guy with the last pick of the first round.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I think we need another SG/SF to spell Ray Allen/Paul Pierce. Posey can also opt out of his contract.  Sure, we need a center, but good centers just aren't available at the end of the first round, whereas good swing players are.

Here's our guy:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jrgiddens.html

I know NBAdraft.net currently has him mid-2nd, but his stock will move up significantly once pre-draft workouts start.  Mark my words.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Do they plan to resign Posey?  House? What about Tony Allen? Will Scalabrine be waived? What about Gabe Pruitt? Also, Powe and BBD will be free agents after next year. Do they plan to resign either one of those guys?

They have to figure out what to do with the players they have before using the draft pick.

I see very few players available at #30 who could even make their roster, unless they give up on some of the guys they have now.

I think it is very possible that Ainge will be drafting for another team this year, and the pick's rights will be traded for future picks (probably a couple of second rounders).
And if I were Ainge, I would be doing everything in my power to get a shot at the lottery next year, because Ricky Rubio is going to be a franchse-changing player.