Author Topic: R-E-L-A-X, We'll Be Just Fine (Update: We're Doing Better!)  (Read 8122 times)

Re: R-E-L-A-X, We'll Be Just Fine
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I agree with the last poster.

The difference in the Warriors offense and the Celtics is the Warriors are more willing passers, the pass and cut, they drive and dish. We're playing too much one on one ball.

Stevens knows they shoot too many 3s but he's afraid of telling them because he likes them playing care free. Care free is good, careless is not good.

Stevens is not afraid of telling them anything. Posters on this board are privied to less than 5% of what Stevens tells them, which means we have no idea what he does or does not say. All we see is the action on the court.

What we do know is that Stevens has not been happy with the ball movement and has mentioned that in multiple interviews. We do know that he stresses "Great shooting teams are great passing teams." We do know that he holds players accountable, but not in the old school way of yanking them out of the game.

We also know that struggles on offense to begin the season is par for the course under Stevens. He implements pieces of his offense as he is confident in the player's ability to execute.

If he is in fact disciplining them, then he needs to reevaluate his approach because clearly his new millennium way of discipline isn't working. This team is far too talented to have to rely on the 3 ball sinking night in and night out. We should've gone to the finals last year but they decided to keep taking bad shots praying they would go in.

Brad is actually in a good position to keep his guys in line. With the amount of talent here, he's not held hostage by players who don't want to listen. This is why I think he's ok with his guys pretending they're in a game of NBA Jam.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I've no idea who the offensive assistant coach is on this team but this brand of offense is absolutely ridiculous. When the Pacer game started the first 10 shots or so were all three pointers. That is on the coach. First of all, as a fan i don't want to see that, and second of all i don't think it's conducive to winning anything. Adam Silver needs to move the 3 point line way back to discourage this kind of basketball, but until that happens Brad Stevens needs to step up and implement an offense that consists of something more than jacking up threes and hoping that they fall in. This team will die by the 3.

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
First quarter last night was a brand of beautiful basketball and what the Celtics need to play like....then they reverted to old habits and trying to force shots. Not sure why they got away from it. But at least the glimpses are there of how to play.

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris went back to being his old self.

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not relaxed, but I'm waiting at least 20 games before drawing any strong conclusions about the team.

So far Jaylen and Jayson are playing like their age, and Hayward looks like he's at least a year away from playing like an above average NBA starter again.

But again, it's very, very early.  We'll see.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Celtics have lost four games to teams that are a combined 34-7

Celtics are the best defensive team in the league "statistically"  Opp FG%, 3pt%, PPG

Offensively they are 4th worst FG% and mid pack on 3pt%

Raps, Pacers, Nuggets, Bux are white hot right now.

Celtics don't look that bad really. Excuses include that Hayward has now played 10 full games with his new team. Morris is the teams leading % shooter with the shorter gentleman coming 9in second.

Big men seem to be messing with the Celtics, but, not overly badly.

Murray hung 55 points on them....kind of like Patrick Mahomes, huh? Is there some kind of advance plan for opposing guards going ballistic on the Celtics? He hit 5 out of 6 threes in the fourth...best to get on the bus and get the hell out of Denver for the one time you have to play there.

They were interviewing Tommy Heinsohn when he had just retired from coaching. The topic was drinking booze the night before a game. Red was worried about a New Years day game in Cincinnati against the Royals.

Tommy described how Red put everyone on curfew and had an alcohol free new Years party in his hotel suite to keep everyone honest.

'So, Tommy, how did Red's no booze policy work out for the Royals game?"

Tommy laughs..."They killed us, I think we lost by 18 points."   

Sometimes your going to get beat.

Terry three stix is 39% from three. which means the best "offensive" starting line up is...

Irving
Rozier
Morris
Tatum
Horford

Brown
Hayward
Smart
Baynes..........off the bench

Of course, based on his output last night...

#44 Robert Williams from Texas A&M is the starting center for the Boston Celtics

At his HOF induction ceremony, Bob will joke that one of his first rookie games, Jamal Murray stuck 55 points on his team.

Phoenix and Utah are a combined 6-13...maybe the Celtics can get some statistical improvement going against them.

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
We will.  It's easy to forget Tatum's hammer on LeBron a few months ago during this time of hangover when games mean virtually nothing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Brad Stevens is having a really bad season coaching thus far. His rotations have no flow to them and are very robotic. He is making zero adjustments offensively. He is allowing his players to do whatever they want out there. Tatum and Stevens have really disappointed me thus far this season. I had high expectations for both of them.

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Stevens rotations always look like a mess early in the season. Things will look great by early December.

Tatum is another issue though, maybe that was the Lakers plan, use Kobe to get into his head and corrupt him. He needs to learn where to best pick his spots for the efficiency of himself and the team

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Still relaxing ?

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Still relaxing ?
I think I'm just going to get in a state of apathy until January, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Still relaxing ?

you need more that RELAX for this one... you need to CHILLAX.

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So relaxed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Still relaxing ?

100%

Pacers are 8-5 now, Sixers 8-6. Bucks have also lost 2 of their last 3. Should they be panicking too? Besides the Raptors and maybe Warriors (exception being the Bucks game), no one right now is playing their best basketball and to their truest potential.

It's still way too early to be worrying. We may be 7-6 after tonight but frankly I'll take going 7-6 our first 13 games of the year than say, a 7-6 stretch sometime in late February/early March. If we aren't playing good basketball still by mid-December, I'll start to worry.

Also you have to go through growing pains with easing Hayward in right now. If we want to make a legit run at making the Finals, Hayward has to be one of our 3-4 best players on the court.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still relaxing ?

100%

Pacers are 8-5 now, Sixers 8-6. Bucks have also lost 2 of their last 3. Should they be panicking too? Besides the Raptors and maybe Warriors (exception being the Bucks game), no one right now is playing their best basketball and to their truest potential.

It's still way too early to be worrying. We may be 7-6 after tonight but frankly I'll take going 7-6 our first 13 games of the year than say, a 7-6 stretch sometime in late February/early March. If we aren't playing good basketball still by mid-December, I'll start to worry.

Also you have to go through growing pains with easing Hayward in right now. If we want to make a legit run at making the Finals, Hayward has to be one of our 3-4 best players on the court.
Not to mention that out of our first 13 games we have played 4 home games JUST 4!!!!

And we have played the following good to great teams: Philly, Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC, Indiana, Denver, Utah, Portland and Detroit twice(Detroit's record without the 2 Celtic losses being 6-3). 

That's a really hard schedule. If they win tonight, an 8-5 record with that schedule is pretty darn good.