Author Topic: R-E-L-A-X, We'll Be Just Fine (Update: We're Doing Better!)  (Read 8127 times)

Re: R-E-L-A-X, We'll Be Just Fine
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Post-game vs Indy - Horford sounded more upset than Stevens

Horford: "We have been living too much on the edge, Maybe this will wake us up"
             (We are shooting too many bad 3's and not working on defense)

Stevens: "We lost to a good team"
               (I am afraid of my players and don't want to tell them when they are taking bad shots
                     and being lazy on defense)
Yeah, taking a lot of liberties with those quote interpretations. Especially Stevens. Indy is a good team. The Pacers we're at home. In the final seconds the Pacers performed and the Celtics didn't. This isn't some bad loss like the Knicks loss was. They lost to a good team when the C's held them to 102 points and shot over 41% from three

Horford probably did mean they didn't take it inside enough but the C's take it inside to then send it out for wide open shots. That's their offense.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 12:30:25 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

(I am afraid of my players and don't want to tell them when they are taking bad shots
Yeah, taking a lot of liberties with those quote interpretations. Especially Stevens. Indy is a good team. The Pacers we're at home. In the final seconds the Pacers performed and the Celtics didn't. This isn't some bad loss like the Knicks loss was. They lost to a good team when the C's held them to 102 points and shot over 41% from three

Horford probably did mean they didn't take it inside enough but the C's take it inside to then send it out for wide open shots. That's their offense.

That is not their offense. Their best offense has more balance between the perimeter 3's and more scoring in the lane with internal passing and dribble-driving off their offensive patterns - not going one-on-one or jacking up the first glance from the 3-line. The Celtics did not shoot nearly this many 3's last season and Brad just lets them continue with impunity.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That is not their offense. Their best offense has more balance between the perimeter 3's and more scoring in the lane with internal passing and dribble-driving off their offensive patterns - not going one-on-one or jacking up the first glance from the 3-line. The Celtics did not shoot nearly this many 3's last season and Brad just lets them continue with impunity.
Still quite a big reach on the Stevens quote.

And if Stevens has us playing this way, then it is our offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 05:17:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If we play those final 37 seconds over ten more times, I bet we win 8 or 9 of them.

Oladipo (shooting 68% from the stripe) sank both free throws, then Kyrie missed a relatively easy layup, then Oladipo hit a tough contested three (was 9 for his previous 33 from deep), and then we couldn’t even get a shot attempt with more than enough time.

Tough loss, but no reason to overreact. These types of games happen throughout the season.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will be ok, every team is targeting us and we are a team to beat.   We get their best effort and some nights we don't match that intensity.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Regarding this strong Raptors and Milwaukee starts.
They are, as we projected, our biggest threat to reach the finals.

But one thing I learned over the years is that you need to play your best ball in April, May and not in the October and November. I remember Toronto playing amazing this early in seasons before. I remember the Clips playing out of their minds, but come playoff time they disappointed. I also remember the Spurs and their rodeo trips, as well as the Sir Alex Fergusons Man United teams that peaked in springtime.

As they did, we will gradually raise our play and timely enter our best stretch entering the playoffs. We do that in CBS era and this is the most talented roster he ever had.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
We are shooting WAY TOO MANY 3s.

We are letting teams off the hook by not using all the skills of each player. If all can drive, dribble, pass and shoot - can we see that please. We aren't getting to the FT line because everyone is just jacking 3s.

I'm not convinced that Jaylen Brown should be starting. I would rather go back to Baynes at C starting. No one in the starting lineup is willing to do the dirty work.

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We can say this and that, but we'll be just fine and that means the NBA finals. I remind, season is very long, injuries will start in all teams and after that our bench takes the main role. Raptors are the closest to us, but still we got stronger bench, with Morris who seems pretty hot at the start. Kyrie's still catching his form, Hayward too. We're gonna be juuust fine. Trust me.

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

( I hope my wife is making that pot roast that I love tonight...)

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

( I hope my wife is making that pot roast that I love tonight...)

Being lazy on defense- Kyrie on the last possession- just watched Olapido nailing that 3.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
We can say this and that, but we'll be just fine and that means the NBA finals. I remind, season is very long, injuries will start in all teams and after that our bench takes the main role. Raptors are the closest to us, but still we got stronger bench, with Morris who seems pretty hot at the start. Kyrie's still catching his form, Hayward too. We're gonna be juuust fine. Trust me.

Yeah my dentist tells me the same thing...everything will be fine. I believe it, but doesn't mean I have to enjoy the process. LOL

You make a great point. We shouldn't deal with many long term injuries if guys are playing less and splitting time. Our bench will be crucial later. I'm concerned that Kyrie may be a better Robin than Batman.

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

The team continues to take ill advised 3's multiple times a game. Guys like terry will shoot the team's chances for a win down the toilet. There's 2 reasons for this

1-Brad doesn't have the guts to check these guys.
2-Brad is ok with bad shots being taken.

Either way, the team suffers. I'm telling you all right now, if they don't win the title this year, it will be due to this problem not being fixed.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I agree with the last poster.

The difference in the Warriors offense and the Celtics is the Warriors are more willing passers, the pass and cut, they drive and dish. We're playing too much one on one ball.

Stevens knows they shoot too many 3s but he's afraid of telling them because he likes them playing care free. Care free is good, careless is not good.

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The difference in the Warriors offense and the Celtics is the Warriors are more willing passers, the pass and cut, they drive and dish. We're playing too much one on one ball.

Stevens knows they shoot too many 3s but he's afraid of telling them because he likes them playing care free. Care free is good, careless is not good.

Stevens is not afraid of telling them anything. Posters on this board are privied to less than 5% of what Stevens tells them, which means we have no idea what he does or does not say. All we see is the action on the court.

What we do know is that Stevens has not been happy with the ball movement and has mentioned that in multiple interviews. We do know that he stresses "Great shooting teams are great passing teams." We do know that he holds players accountable, but not in the old school way of yanking them out of the game.

We also know that struggles on offense to begin the season is par for the course under Stevens. He implements pieces of his offense as he is confident in the player's ability to execute.

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 03:51:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Stevens is not afraid of telling them anything. Posters on this board are privied to less than 5% of what Stevens tells them, which means we have no idea what he does or does not say. All we see is the action on the court.

What we do know is that Stevens has not been happy with the ball movement and has mentioned that in multiple interviews. We do know that he stresses "Great shooting teams are great passing teams." We do know that he holds players accountable, but not in the old school way of yanking them out of the game.

We also know that struggles on offense to begin the season is par for the course under Stevens. He implements pieces of his offense as he is confident in the player's ability to execute.

Stevens is in a very strong position as a coach. I don't think that there is any player in Boston that management would side with over Stevens. They don't call him Trader Danny cause he goes to Trader Joe's to buy his coffee...