Author Topic: Dallas should waive Dirk  (Read 1788 times)

Dallas should waive Dirk
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It's obvious that Cuban is trying to tank. I wonder if the Mavs waived Dirk to give him a chance to go play for a winner, would he sign in Boston? He would be a good replacement for Hayward for this year. He could always sign with another contender next year.

Could the Celtics sign him? We would have to create a roster spot but it would be worth it.

I hate to see Dirk just melt away in Dallas...he deserves to be in the playoffs.

Re: Dallas should waive Dirk
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I doubt he'd want to go to a team that would be unlikely to win a championship.   GSW, Houston, Cleveland.   But who knows?  Maybe Dirk likes  the idea of playing out his career in Dallas.  He certainly has nothing to prove.   

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Since Cuban said they are tanking that would make it pretty obvious.  If Dirk wanted to go to a contender, he would have done it during the offseason but if he asks I'm sure they'd waive him. 

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Dirk isn't that good anymore. I'm not certain he has an impact on winning or losing. I think Cuban would be more likely to shut him down or limit his minutes. Dirk is the best Maverick of all time, and Cuban knows this. He wants him to retire as a Maverick.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Dirk doesn’t want to go anywhere, and shouldn’t go anywhere. 

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:00:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not gonna happen

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Celtics are more likely to unretire Pierce’s number

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, if he wanted a buyout, Dallas would give him one. But, at this point, the guy probably enjoys being a Dallas icon.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yeah, if he wanted a buyout, Dallas would give him one. But, at this point, the guy probably enjoys being a Dallas icon.

For sure. He's won his MVP. He's won his championship. He's got a shot at catching Wilt on the all time scoring list if he plays another season. Why not finish out the season on this crappy team, compile some more points, and then take his victory lap next year? Sounds good to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They shouldn't waive him but tjey absolutely should give him a huge 1 year contract next year to make up for the last few seasons when Dirk took massive pay cuts so the Mavs could sign free agents around him
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

For sure. He's won his MVP. He's won his championship. He's got a shot at catching Wilt on the all time scoring list if he plays another season. Why not finish out the season on this crappy team, compile some more points, and then take his victory lap next year? Sounds good to me.

This looks more like what he's doing.

He wouldn't play much on a contender in the playoffs anyway though. He was never a defender in his prime, and he couldn't guard a spot in line at Walmart now. Have fun until it hurts too much, pad the career stats, pad the investment account a bit more, and don't worry about botching the tank job.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe that retiring a lifelong Maverick is important to Dirk.  And Cuban is big on letting Dirk play as long as he wants to.

Dirk can still shoot the hell out of the ball but his lateral movement and defensive capabilities just are not there.  He would also play limited minutes at this point in his career.  So naah, I don't see it happening.