Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 220655 times)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The way this reads cracks me up, even if it likely wasn't his intent:

Jared Weiss: Derrick White on Joe Mazzulla winning coach of the month: “Staff’s been amazing. Joe’s been solid.”

Pure Freudian slip - he might not have intended it consciously, but he meant it.
One of our top BBIQ guys and his comment comes out very lukewarm, if you look at it honestly.
I have always thought there had to be at least a few of the players who see how incompetent Joe is.
Gotta think there are occasional, late nite, road-trip hotel conversations among select Celtics where our head coach is discussed.
Careful Tennessee, your biases are showing in your over-interpretation

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

Jared Weiss: Derrick White on Joe Mazzulla winning coach of the month: “Staff’s been amazing. Joe’s been solid.”

Pure Freudian slip - he might not have intended it consciously, but he meant it.
One of our top BBIQ guys and his comment comes out very lukewarm, if you look at it honestly.
I have always thought there had to be at least a few of the players who see how incompetent Joe is.
Gotta think there are occasional, late nite, road-trip hotel conversations among select Celtics where our head coach is discussed.

Absurd. I’d bet money that none of the players think Joe is incompetent. They appear totally bought in and cohesive. There would be rumblings and some lack luster play if they did not have faith in their coach. Being called solid hardly indicates incompetence, it’s actually a positive term and doesn’t hint at anything negative other than there are other more positive terms. You appear to simply be wishing that someone within the organization holds your view point, which it’s clear they don’t.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
Dereliction of duty tonight or tough love to the bench guys?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Absurd. I’d bet money that none of the players think Joe is incompetent. They appear totally bought in and cohesive. There would be rumblings and some lack luster play if they did not have faith in their coach. Being called solid hardly indicates incompetence, it’s actually a positive term and doesn’t hint at anything negative other than there are other more positive terms. You appear to simply be wishing that someone within the organization holds your view point, which it’s clear they don’t.

The OKC coach said he was impressed by how Joe handles himself, specially with how rabid the boston media/fans are. He was just named eastern conference coach of the month and clinched HCA throughout the playoffs, and yet some fans think he’s not fit for the job.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

A little of both.  I don't mind a coach choosing to let the bench finish things out in a meaningless game.  At the same time, I think a loss tonight might add to the "blow big leads" narrative, which can lead to less confidence.

But, the way it worked out was good, with the bench both scoring a game winner and defending against one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384

A little of both.  I don't mind a coach choosing to let the bench finish things out in a meaningless game.  At the same time, I think a loss tonight might add to the "blow big leads" narrative, which can lead to less confidence.

But, the way it worked out was good, with the bench both scoring a game winner and defending against one.

Yes it's one of those "the result will determine if it was a good idea or not" types of decisions   :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Well, it sure looks like Stevens made the right decision keeping Joe around last summer. Fair dues to both of them.

I would have fired him. And been wrong.

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1690

The OKC coach said he was impressed by how Joe handles himself, specially with how rabid the boston media/fans are. He was just named eastern conference coach of the month and clinched HCA throughout the playoffs, and yet some fans think he’s not fit for the job.

Peeking around the league, I've noticed two things this year:

Most people outside of Boston generally think Joe is doing fine.  You could say that they don't know Joe like we do, or you could say that we're too close to be unbiased.  Take your pick.

A ton of fans appear to hate their own coach.  There are exceptions - Popovich has a lifetime pass in most of San Antonio, Denver is still riding the high (or maybe that's just the marijuana), OKC fans love Daigneault for now, and so on - but a significant number of fans are utterly convinced that the worst coach to ever coach resides right in their very own backyard.  So I wonder if the general disdain for Mazzulla on this board isn't so much because of actual coaching ability/performance, but more a reflection on the tendency of sports fans to treat their hometown coach as the whipping boy for their favorite team's shortcomings.

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

Most people outside of Boston generally think Joe is doing fine.  You could say that they don't know Joe like we do, or you could say that we're too close to be unbiased.  Take your pick.

A ton of fans appear to hate their own coach.  There are exceptions - Popovich has a lifetime pass in most of San Antonio, Denver is still riding the high (or maybe that's just the marijuana), OKC fans love Daigneault for now, and so on - but a significant number of fans are utterly convinced that the worst coach to ever coach resides right in their very own backyard.  So I wonder if the general disdain for Mazzulla on this board isn't so much because of actual coaching ability/performance, but more a reflection on the tendency of sports fans to treat their hometown coach as the whipping boy for their favorite team's shortcomings.

I think Joes age, personality, and his dry sense of humor is an issue for a lot of people as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think Joes age, personality, and his dry sense of humor is an issue for a lot of people as well.

Or, the multiple brutal losses in last year's playoffs against lesser teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738

Sorry, Your view lacks much perceptive insight into people, in general.

"Staff is Amazing !!!!!!"  "Oh yeah, Joe's been solid, I guess" is what I'm hearing.
People who are basically honest (probably Derrick White) have a hard time expressing false opinions.
It just came out that way, but I think it speaks volumes, his follow up quote about Joe was lukewarm compared to "amazing."
I'm not the only one who noticed.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738

What biases are those ?
I'm biased alright, my opinion of Joe Mazzulla is that he is an incompetent head coach in way over his head.

The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I read this forum thread when I feel bad about my life. Imagine having the highest win % in league history best team in the NBA by a long shot and people still mad you are the coach over cant keep his pecker in his pants Ime who by the way is below .500

Keep up the good work Green googled fans you give me hope!
ok fine

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

Sorry, Your view lacks much perceptive insight into people, in general.

"Staff is Amazing !!!!!!"  "Oh yeah, Joe's been solid, I guess" is what I'm hearing.
People who are basically honest (probably Derrick White) have a hard time expressing false opinions.
It just came out that way, but I think it speaks volumes, his follow up quote about Joe was lukewarm compared to "amazing."
I'm not the only one who noticed.

That’s the point. What you are hearing is not what he said. It can be read like that but then you are reading into it what you want to hear.

https://youtu.be/oWheiro8ZVk?si=eKKzBvpCsP6liqm-

Here is the actual interview, so everyone can judge the whole quote in context with his inflection. The interview asks about Joe and the staff, even mentions Joe’s credit to the staff essentially forcing White to acknowledge them. He goes on to talk about how Joe keeps them focused and prepared, repeatedly giving Joe credit.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541

What biases are those ?
I'm biased alright, my opinion of Joe Mazzulla is that he is an incompetent head coach in way over his head.

I’ve worked with people I thought were incompetent. Under no circumstances could you have gotten me to describe any of them as “solid” even if I was backed into a corner and had to say something positive.  But you may be right that it was purposely or subconsciously not as enthusiastic as his assessment of ‘the staff’.  There’s a distance between that and DW suggesting that Joe is incompetent.