Author Topic: Stretch 4 options  (Read 5170 times)

Re: Stretch 4 options
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 04:21:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Jaylen can defend elite 4s, but do you really want him on Giannis or Zion?
Nobody can defend Giannis/Zion 1-on-1. I'm happy with Tatum, Brown or even Smart defending opposing swings. All of them are versatile defenders.

Wouldn’t Brandon Clarke or Kyle Anderson be a better choice? Or Aaron Gordon?
Sure, I'd be OK with all these guys. Not overly excited about Gordon, but maybe that's just me. For the record, all these guys are inconsistent 3pt shooters (just like Semi and Grant). None of them is a legit stretch 4.

I am still hoping Timelord can contribute more as a passer at the top of the key, with Kemba or Jaylen cutting.
Kemba ain't a cutter. He scored 1% of his points via cutting last season.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/cut/?SeasonYear=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1

(it's a long list, you gotta scroll down a bit)

We do need more passing but it doesn’t necessarily have to be from the 2-3, a 4 or 5 can work just as well, Big Al already proved that.
Agreed. Thing is, it's more difficult to find a passing big than it is to find a passing wing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:39:18 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Thaddeus Young. Great cutter to the basket.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 04:28:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Agree on Hachimura and Markkenen, would be solid additions.  Not sure either is available or what it would take to get them.  Free agents that are available and could help are Skal Labissiere, a 4 with size can shoot the 3 and get his own shot has been inconsistent, but is only 24 and has put up 30pt games.  Can also rebound and block a shot here and there.  Vonleh is the other fa I think could play the stretch 4 and help.  Henzonia played the point forward role with the Knicks and played some of his best basketball.  Obviously they are fa’s for a reason, but if given minutes I think they would be better pieces than who is currently playing.  Team is too small consistently getting out rebounded at crucial times in the game.  Theis, G. Williams, and Thompson at 6’8” are just not going to get it done against bigger teams.  Would like to see more of Robert Wiliams, not sure why he is playing 30mins a game.

I would love Markannen or Hachimura , but why would the Bulls or Wizards want to trade those guys to us? What can we offer of reasonable value?

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This won't be a popular name, but I thought I'd raise it anyway.  Marcus Morris? 

The Clippers just re-signed him so I doubt they're looking to unload him, but they are thin at center and could use someone like Theis.  If Kawhi leaves after this season, they'll be looking at a rebuild and Morris won't be a part of their plans. 

For the Celtics, he knows the team, he'll give us added size, another scoring option, and some needed attitude.

It's far fetched, but I thought I'd add it to the discussion.

Absolutely not. He's a black hole with a bad attitude as a teammate.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This won't be a popular name, but I thought I'd raise it anyway.  Marcus Morris? 

The Clippers just re-signed him so I doubt they're looking to unload him, but they are thin at center and could use someone like Theis.  If Kawhi leaves after this season, they'll be looking at a rebuild and Morris won't be a part of their plans. 

For the Celtics, he knows the team, he'll give us added size, another scoring option, and some needed attitude.

It's far fetched, but I thought I'd add it to the discussion.

Absolutely not. He's a black hole with a bad attitude as a teammate.

Agreed -- the guy is a cancer and the C's do not have the team / leadership / maturity to handle him and make it work.

His absence is one of the big reasons why the Clippers offense has looked better now than in the tail end of last season. They actually have ball movement now. Instead of being harmed by a ball-stopper & shot-thief.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This is an obvious hole that needs filling.
Disagree with premise. We do not need a stretch 4.

Play Tatum at PF and Jaylen at SF. Let Smart play SG.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 05:22:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Harrison Barnes would be a guy I’d look at if possible. Championship experience, solid offensively and defensively, and won’t require huge usage or demand the ball.

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Harrison Barnes would be a guy I’d look at if possible. Championship experience, solid offensively and defensively, and won’t require huge usage or demand the ball.

So here's a good one for someone to help explain how the TPE works.  How can Danny use the TPE to get Barnes (or Aaron Gordon; Evan Fournier...)?   I am still pretty baffled by how the TPE actually gets used to acquire a player and how it could be advantageous for the trading partner to do the deal. 

Someone please post a legal trade using the TPE that nets Barnes that Sac would possibly be interested in doing.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

So here's a good one for someone to help explain how the TPE works.  How can Danny use the TPE to get Barnes (or Aaron Gordon; Evan Fournier...)?   I am still pretty baffled by how the TPE actually gets used to acquire a player and how it could be advantageous for the trading partner to do the deal. 

Someone please post a legal trade using the TPE that nets Barnes that Sac would possibly be interested in doing.
Celtics in: Harrison Barnes
Kings in: future pick + $22,315,909 TPE (= Barnes' salary + $100,000)

It's as simple as that. The C's cut Javonte Green prior to the trade. His contract is non-guaranteed till February 27.

Imo, Barnes is overpaid. It's possible that the Kings are willing to dump him, especially if we send them a pick.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 07:06:30 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Celtics in: Harrison Barnes
Kings in: future pick + $22,315,909 TPE (= Barnes' salary + $100,000)

It's as simple as that. The C's cut Javonte Green prior to the trade. His contract is non-guaranteed till February 27.

Imo, Barnes is overpaid. It's possible that the Kings are willing to dump him, especially if we send them a pick.

Thanks.  Yeah that was easy.  TP

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 05:17:51 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw this trade pop up on a google search.

Boston: Draymond Green

Golden State: Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, and Aaron Nesmith

Do you think Draymond has enough left in the tank to warrant the trade? Like Marcus, Draymond is a defensive monster that can’t shoot, and is a proven leader. Unlike Marcus, Draymond is big enough to bang with any big in the league, which is the Celtics biggest area of concern (in my opinion). Draymond could also provide the additional playmaking ability that was lost with the departure of Hayward.

I would hate to give up Marcus, and I’m intrigued by the potential of Langford and Nesmith. I’m on the fence on this trade, but it’s the first one that came up on a google search that actually made sense for both teams.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Naw. I think Green is like some of our players. More valuable to the team he’s on then he would be on a different team.

I also want a PF or stretch-4 that can score. When Tatum is playing the 4 and Brown the 3, that works, but when they move to 3 and 2, then we get a bunch of none scorers at 4 as replacements. Our scoring depth is weak at the swing position.

A guy like Woods who can play like a skinny Chris Bosh would have been ideal, but since Tatum does play minutes there, it’s ok for them to be a role player if their not good enough to start and push Tatum to the 3. Ideally I think Tatum should be a 3 and Brown a 2, with Marcus Smart playing backup 2 and 1, once Kemba returns.

That is if the role player can be a threat from 3, but can also go inside when the 3s aren’t falling. It would be nice to have an inside out game as an option when the J’s (and everyone else) aren’t hitting from outside. Brandon Clarke or Aaron Gordon would at least be a threat to score in the paint and not camp there permanently like a Julius Randle would.

I suppose the Jabari Parker idea isn’t terrible with that as a criteria? At least until Nesmith learns how NBA defense is played.