Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1011565 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - RECRUITING GMs & coGMs
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Aldridge at #20...good grief, that is seriously bad.  Dude is top 10, hands down. All those PG's (except CP3) taken above him is ludicrous.

Looks like Ronny got the steal of the 1st round, and now has two 2nds to boot.

You must be LMA's #1 fan. He's never been drafted top 10, and he's coming off a season in which his production dipped from his 11-12 peak. I rate him highly, but it's clear if he's your top player your team isn't guaranteed of anything. Horford is marginally better, as is at least one other power forward still on the board.

« Reply #511 on: August 19, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Aldridge at #20...good grief, that is seriously bad.  Dude is top 10, hands down. All those PG's (except CP3) taken above him is ludicrous.

Looks like Ronny got the steal of the 1st round, and now has two 2nds to boot.

You must be LMA's #1 fan. He's never been drafted top 10, and he's coming off a season in which his production dipped from his 11-12 peak. I rate him highly, but it's clear if he's your top player your team isn't guaranteed of anything. Horford is marginally better, as is at least one other power forward still on the board.

Good, so we aren't the only ones haha.

« Reply #512 on: August 19, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Meh, I'm not worried if some (or all) don't agree with my rankings of players.

I'm right and you're wrong.   Just ask me, I'll tell you.

I'm just thrilled with getting George where I got him.

« Reply #513 on: August 19, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Apologies to those of you who sent me trade proposals and didn't get a response.  Very little chance I'll be around during the afternoons this week.

« Reply #514 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Personally it doesn't matter to me what people think of where Aldridge is ranked as I'm not worried about one player I'm focusing on the bigger picture and the way my team is set up I would have to mess up badly to not make the Top 3 in my conference.

Also I'm still looking for another player to put next to LA.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:03:59 PM by ronaldo943 »

« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Aldridge was selected right about where he should have been. He's just outside the top 20 in regards to players in the NBA, IMHO.

And ron is in good position to make a very solid starting five with Aldridge, 2 2nds and 2 4ths.

Will that be enough to overcome Lebron and 4 starters, Durant-Williams and some 5th and 6th rounders, Rose-Blake and some 4th and 5th rounders or M.Gasol-Dirk and some 4th and 5th rounders? We will see.

With some smart drafting and without trades, McHales Pits/Minnesota is still going to have a very strong team to overcome.

« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think Aldridge was selected right about where he should have been. He's just outside the top 20 in regards to players in the NBA, IMHO.

And ron is in good position to make a very solid starting five with Aldridge, 2 2nds and 2 4ths.

Will that be enough to overcome Lebron and 4 starters, Durant-Williams and some 5th and 6th rounders, Rose-Blake and some 4th and 5th rounders or M.Gasol-Dirk and some 4th and 5th rounders? We will see.

With some smart drafting and without trades, McHales Pits/Minnesota is still going to have a very strong team to overcome.

It might sound weird but I was almost hoping I didn't get Lebron.

I really enjoy the process of building a team up even if I fall short and with Lebron, all you really have to do is just not mess up and you're in great position to win.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Just wanna make a pitch to everyone about Horford, while it's still fresh. I've gotten a PM saying Horford was a weak pick as there were better defensive centers available, but I want to make the argument that Horford was the best PF/C available at our slot.

Quote from: Roy H.
I love Horford, who is perhaps the most versatile true big man in the league.

Sorry for using you to support my argument, Roy, but your opinion usually carries some weight here. Horford is as Roy describes: versatile. He can play the 4 or the 5. He can spread the floor or bang down low. He can run the break and defend in the post. He can block, he can pass, and he can play his unnatural position without whining about it, thanks to Smoove. In exercises like this, versatile is good. You don't know what will happen in later rounds, and you don't want to pigeon-hole yourself into a strategy because of one player.

Horford vs. Aldridge

Not picking on ron here, as it truly came down to LMA vs Al for us, but there are a few reasons we went with Horford. Those reasons are TS% (and FG%, but TS% is a better representation, usually), rebounds, assists, and win shares. Sure, he loses in FT% and PPG, but overall he's a more efficient scorer than Aldridge in addition to a better defender and passer.

So keep h8in'. We don't curr.

« Reply #518 on: August 19, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen

Yes the team I'm building will not only change your opinion on the CB Draft, but it will change your opinion on life. The team I'm building is so good a mod decided to secretly co-gm with me. I studied the top 2 teams of last year's draft for 5 minutes, then I decided how to proceed with this draft and I know I won't disappoint.

« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen

I think you care if not you wouldn't have wasted your time by writing the other part of your post.

« Reply #520 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
FWIW, AB, I had Horford ranked @ #11 only two spots below Aldridge @ #9.

So yeah, getting him at #19 was really good value in my book.

« Reply #521 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Just wanna make a pitch to everyone about Horford, while it's still fresh. I've gotten a PM saying Horford was a weak pick as there were better defensive centers available, but I want to make the argument that Horford was the best PF/C available at our slot.

Quote from: Roy H.
I love Horford, who is perhaps the most versatile true big man in the league.

Sorry for using you to support my argument, Roy, but your opinion usually carries some weight here. Horford is as Roy describes: versatile. He can play the 4 or the 5. He can spread the floor or bang down low. He can run the break and defend in the post. He can block, he can pass, and he can play his unnatural position without whining about it, thanks to Smoove. In exercises like this, versatile is good. You don't know what will happen in later rounds, and you don't want to pigeon-hole yourself into a strategy because of one player.

Horford vs. Aldridge

Not picking on ron here, as it truly came down to LMA vs Al for us, but there are a few reasons we went with Horford. Those reasons are TS% (and FG%, but TS% is a better representation, usually), rebounds, assists, and win shares. Sure, he loses in FT% and PPG, but overall he's a more efficient scorer than Aldridge in addition to a better defender and passer.

Adding to this, Horford's FT% last year was incredibly fluky as he's a career 76% free throw shooter excluding last season. I love both players, as they're both incredibly underrated playing for middling markets, but I have to give the nod to Horford when comparing them side-by-side.

« Reply #522 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

I think you care if not you wouldn't have wasted your time by writing the other part of your post.

If that's your takeaway from my whole post - well, let's just say I could tell it was from you ronaldo without reading your name.

Please don't turn this thing into an exercise in trolling.

« Reply #523 on: August 19, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen

If that's your takeaway from my whole post - well, let's just say I could tell it was from you ronaldo without reading your name.

Please don't turn this thing into an exercise in trolling.

Not turning it into a trolling exercise just stating something.

Now to answer this Horford played C this season and playing C makes you more efficient. Lets take a look at the times when Aldridge played C.

(Based on 82games)
PER 27.9 .532 FG%
OPP PER 12.8

Now Horford

PER 21.9 .547%
OPP PER 16.6

Now Horford (PF)
PER 17.9 .538%
OPP PER 19.0

Not even a fan of PER but just proving a point that playing C will make you more efficient.

« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Not turning it into a trolling exercise just stating something.

Now to answer this Horford played C this season and playing C makes you more efficient as you are in the post most of the time. Lets take a look at the times when Aldridge played C.

(Based on 82games)
PER 27.9 .532 FG%
OPP PER 12.8

Now Horford

PER 21.9 .547%
OPP PER 16.6

Now Horford (PF)
PER 17.9 .538%
OPP PER 19.0

Not even a fan of PER but just proving a point that playing C will make you more efficient.

Aldridge also happened to wear down a lot quicker last season, and openly expressed a desire to keep playing mostly as a PF.