Author Topic: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?  (Read 28120 times)

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He's an idiot, but all he did was pee behind some bushes behind a store and knock a sandwich sign off the side of a building while drunk.  Dumb, but this should never have turned into an international incident.

You're missing the part about him lying about being robbed in Brazil's biggest world stage event on its history. That was a huge offense to Brazilians who live with the threat of robberies and violence every day. It's like a celebrity claiming a hate crime when the person was drunk.

Brazil authorities were just being super-overly-sensitive because they didn't want the bad press. But, you said it - Brazilians live with the threat of robberies and violence everyday - what's another one? If it singled out a particular individual, that would be one thing, but this went WAY too far. A public apology should have been enough.

Lochte was a drunk idiot, but who hasn't been at some point in their life? This just made them look like they were trying to hide the reality of the crime and corruption in that city - which I now see as a place I would never ever want to visit (and I really enjoy visiting foreign countries).

I agree with some respect but again, it's sort of like somebody saying they suffered a hate crime here in the US. That is a touchy subject and if it does happen, there is outrage. However, if it was manufactured, then you can't say "well, there's racism in the US, why get upset over another one". Especially since foreigners are typically in safe zones and being on the world stage, it makes the whole country look bad. Brazilians put up with a lot, but they are an overwhelmingly happy people that prefers to take matters internally. People are aware of what they should and shouldn't do, but even with the difficulty, they don't project it to others and celebrate life.

However, just like any other organization, the leaders can definitely take it too far. I believe that Brazilians were p---ed at him and we're demanding an apology. Once they got that, they moved on. Then it became more of the judicial system vs. Lochte, which at that point people weren't paying attention and moved on to the rest of the Olympics.

Last point, I do recommend visiting Brazil. The main cities are interesting but more touristy. Outside the cities you'll find amazing beaches, forests, historical cities and a welcoming people that is very different from Rio and São Paulo.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He's an idiot, but all he did was pee behind some bushes behind a store and knock a sandwich sign off the side of a building while drunk.  Dumb, but this should never have turned into an international incident.

You're missing the part about him lying about being robbed in Brazil's biggest world stage event on its history. That was a huge offense to Brazilians who live with the threat of robberies and violence every day. It's like a celebrity claiming a hate crime when the person was drunk.
He was detained by men with guns and money was demanded.  Every single report, including by the witnesses confirms this.  If you are drunk at 5 am and don't understand the language, that pretty easily could be described as a robbery. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip