Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343832 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2018, 11:27:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is

Davis is not a top three player.
Who is then?

I'd have him over everyone not named LeBron. And if it was for a 4 year period, I might choose him over LeBron anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2018, 11:36:07 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Horford probably opts out after next year, so you won't be able to trade him if he does.

That’s interesting; why would he do that? Would he think he can get another multi-year max contract? I kind of figured he’d opt in for the last year of his current deal because he’d have to take a lower payout on his next contract (ages 33-37(?)). But in a league that just gave Chris Paul that monster payout, who knows. Maybe he can get another max deal. Be a hell of a bill for the Cs.

« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2018, 11:37:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Remember Horford only came here because Celtics offered the most money and was not doing the Celtics any favours,

This is simply not true. The Hawks actually offered Horford more, but they didn't want to give him the 5th year. In addition, the Wizards also offered Horford the max.

The Hawks' offer was 5 years, and only $6 mil total shy of the max.

"Also" is redundant after "in addition," but you'll pick that stuff up as you hack away at the keys.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Recently saw the article about the top need for every NBA team in the league. Celtics were the only team, in the opinion of the writer, without a major need. The only big need the Celtics had, according to the article, was to steer clear of crazy Anthony Davis trade rumors and to focus on stability and the current roster.

I strongly agreed.

Haven't seen the article, but I agree that we're without a meaningful need.  Important for the Cs to become and remain healthy, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2018, 11:51:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Remember Horford only came here because Celtics offered the most money and was not doing the Celtics any favours,

This is simply not true. The Hawks actually offered Horford more, but they didn't want to give him the 5th year. In addition, the Wizards also offered Horford the max.

The Hawks' offer was 5 years, and only $6 mil total shy of the max.

"Also" is redundant after "in addition," but you'll pick that stuff up as you hack away at the keys.   

Seriously? That's your response?

PM sent

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is

Who is then?

I'd have him over everyone not named LeBron. And if it was for a 4 year period, I might choose him over LeBron anyway

James, Curry, and Durant are unquestionably more valuable. Some other players are in the discussion as well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:38:10 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2018, 01:17:57 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yawn, here we go with the AD pipedream again.

He wont be traded until he's 30. Period..

« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2018, 03:34:19 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd rather keep Big Al.

He is PROVEN.

We wouldn't have gotten as far as we did (with Kyrie and GH) without his play in the post season last year.

Stop chasing waterfalls.

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2018, 05:53:13 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Recently saw the article about the top need for every NBA team in the league. Celtics were the only team, in the opinion of the writer, without a major need. The only big need the Celtics had, according to the article, was to steer clear of crazy Anthony Davis trade rumors and to focus on stability and the current roster.

I strongly agreed.

Haven't seen the article, but I agree that we're without a meaningful need.  Important for the Cs to become and remain healthy, though.

My view is that we have two needs,  1) tall, athletic post player who loves defense, is a tenacious rebounder and has a decent offensive game & 2) a knock-down, spot-up shooting guard off the bench.

We already have the first player if Robert Williams eventually grows up and the knock-down shooter can be acquired with a creative trade that gives the Celts their shooter plus future 1st rounders in exchange for the services of one Kyrie Irving. The creative part is required to work out the salary imbalances. That leaves us a content group of starters and plenty of minutes for the likes of Smart, Morris, Theis and Semi. Takes us off the tax list and frees up later money for retaining Brown, Tatum and Rozier. We continue to add very good young players with our future, prime draft choices.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2018, 06:15:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I'd rather keep Big Al.

He is PROVEN.

We wouldn't have gotten as far as we did (with Kyrie and GH) without his play in the post season last year.

Stop chasing waterfalls.

i agree with the last sentence .... it is a very very very long shot (but who expected the Irving trade ??)

Doubting though that DA is the best big in the NBA ????? Horford is great , he fits perfectly , he is probably the glue that makes this team work but lets not kid ourselves. AD is an upgrade just by being younger.

But this team is winning the league with either one of them 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:12:31 AM by ederson »

« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Who is then?

James, Curry, and Durant are unquestionably more valuable. Some other players are in the discussion as well.

Durant we could at least talk about. Curry is a hard no. Davis isn’t just a great scorer, capable of averaging 30 through the playoffs. He’s also a great defensive rebounder (top ten NBA) and one of the best defensive players in the league (1st team all-NBA) who transforms the kind of defense a team is able to play. He allowed the Pellies to take advantage of Mirotic’s shooting because he erases Mirotic’s mistakes on defense. Also, Davis was 24 last year; there’s a pretty good chance he’ll be even better this coming year.
Curry is a great shooter and a good creator on offense; but he’s average on defense. If you consider both sides of the ball, Davis has to come out on top.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:56:27 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Davis is most definitely a top 3 player. I would take him ahead of any other player right now.

« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Horford being able to opt out after this season may be a problem, otherwise I could see Ainge doing this.  If the Sac pick is a top 3 pick and the Memphis pick is a late lottery that would go a long way to rebuilding the Pelicans along with the Clippers pick and Celtics picks. 

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Davis

That team would be better than the Warriors by next season. 

I'd feel bad about Horford after he came here as a free agent though.

« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Horford being able to opt out after this season may be a problem, otherwise I could see Ainge doing this.  If the Sac pick is a top 3 pick and the Memphis pick is a late lottery that would go a long way to rebuilding the Pelicans along with the Clippers pick and Celtics picks. 

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Davis

That team would be better than the Warriors by next season. 

I'd feel bad about Horford after he came here as a free agent though.

Barring injury, I think that starting lineup is unbeatable in a seven-game series. Main question would be where it lands on the all-time lists.

Don’t think it will happen, though, and that could be fine. Because if next year’s team is as good as some of us expect and we can add cost-controlled talent like the 3d and 10th pick next year, it should be a very long run of greatness ahead of us.

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Horford is also quoted saying he wanted to come to Boston because there is nothing like playing in the Garden. He certainly didn't come here based on money. We wanted him and he wanted us.