Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339460 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Given AD's talent and salt's point above -- my family, friends, career aspirations, physical well-being, and box set of all 7 seasons of the Gilmore Girls.

Do you seriously possess the definitive disk collection? ;D

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If he is willing to commit to resign and stay with the C's long term, pretty much anything that's not bolted down. I'll assume Kyrie stays on a new contract or leaves, so its next offseason and its all legal.

You need to keep "enough" to contend and not put yourself in the NOP's situation where you don't have a title team around him, but I don't think any individual piece is unmovable. Build the package around Kyrie? Sure. Build it around Horford/picks, sure. Build it around Hayward/picks, sure. Build it around Marcus/Brown/picks, sure.

If I was sending them Tatum though, they wouldn't be getting anything more than other salary to make the deal legal.

I was with you until you got to the Tatum part because that is where the Celtics should say. Sorry, but we are good.

« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Davis top 3 player..nuff said

Davis is obviously a great player. However, how many top 5 players have only made the playoffs twice in their first 6 seasons and only got out of the first round once in that time frame? With all of the star treatment a top 5 player receives by the referees, this seems like an almost impossible feat.
You keep banging this drum, and it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Durant didn't win a playoff series til his 4th year, and not until he had another all star playing alongside him. AD has had no such luxury.

He's generally been on garbage teams with questionable guard play, and then was saddled with a ball hog center who thinks he's a 3 pt shooter. He started to get some continuity and decent guard play for the first time in his career, and his team rolls over Portland, and gave GSW a lot better fight than Lebron did.

AD is the most valuable commodity in the NBA. No one matches up against him, and he can match up against any other big man. The one and only legitimate case against him is he's only averaged 68 games/season, but then he's played 75 in each of the last 2, so it's getting harder to even make that case.

Trading any individual player for AD is a no-brainer. I love JT and hope we can keep him forever, but not trading him straight up for AD is absurd. And a hypothetical, because we're at least a couple years from AD being available anyway.
how good was tatums team last year? He was missing kyrie, Hayward, theis, and larkin

Tatum essentially took brown, horford, and average scrubs to the ecf game 7.

This is just so absurd.

Horford was one of the best defensive players in the NBA last year, was arguably the best passing big man in the NBA all year and in the playoffs once again elevated all aspects of his game.   And Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier played at all-star levels during that run.

And the home court advantage that the C's had in the playoffs was in no small part due to the efforts of one superstar named Kyrie before he was injured.

And the C's overall had arguably the strongest bench of all the playoff teams.

Jason Tatum was great.  But the notion that he 'carried' a team of 'average scrubs' to the ECF by himself is just absurd.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2018, 11:12:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
How in a world have Spurs got better?!

Spurs without Kawhi last year were the #3 defense but a mediocre #17 offense.   Their biggest weakness on offense last year was lack of scoring from the wing.

They replaced the absent Kawhi with a 25 points scoring wing in the form of DeMar DeRozan.

DeRozan is a slight downgrade in defense compared to Danny Green (who picked up the starting minutes that Kawhi didn't provide), but he's a massive offensive upgrade (Green averaged just 8.6 points per game).

Their defense should be similar to what it was last year.   If they can pull their offense back up into the top 10, then they will once again be a top team in the West.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I do not understand any consideration at all being given to trading Gordon Hayward ......

It would be a huge slap in the face of Hayward - he leaves a franchise where he is loved and highly valued to sign with Boston. He does so partly to reunite with Brad Stevens. He is a great player who wants to be here long-term - unlike another star player we currently have.

It would give Danny and the Celtics yet another black eye for their treatment of players. You don't work hard to recruit a big-time free agent and get him to leave a very good situation and then turn around and trade him. Other free agents around the league would view the Celtics in a harsh light and be uninterested in coming here (Anthony Davis himself criticized Ainge publicly for the way he treated Isaiah Thomas).

Hopefully even Danny is not that ruthless - he mistreats enough players and it is going to come back to hurt him and the Celtics franchise.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I do not understand any consideration at all being given to trading Gordon Hayward ......

It would be a huge slap in the face of Hayward - he leaves a franchise where he is loved and highly valued to sign with Boston. He does so partly to reunite with Brad Stevens. He is a great player who wants to be here long-term - unlike another star player we currently have.

It would give Danny and the Celtics yet another black eye for their treatment of players. You don't work hard to recruit a big-time free agent and get him to leave a very good situation and then turn around and trade him. Other free agents around the league would view the Celtics in a harsh light and be uninterested in coming here (Anthony Davis himself criticized Ainge publicly for the way he treated Isaiah Thomas).

Hopefully even Danny is not that ruthless - he mistreats enough players and it is going to come back to hurt him and the Celtics franchise.
Yep.  As far as I'm concerned, Gordon Hayward is the only untradeable player at this point (Horford to a lesser extent). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
It's the end of the 2018-19 season and the Celtics have either lost in the NBA Finals or won the whole thing, at the same time the Pelicans have either missed the playoffs or been booted in the first round with Davis dominating on the court without help. AD will have had enough of losing, a lack of talent costing him a shot at MVP and is going into the last guaranteed year of his deal forcing New Orleans to open up trade discussions.

Remember Horford only came here because Celtics offered the most money and was not doing the Celtics any favours, after Horford has picked up his player option I can see Ainge finding a third team to be involved in any trade that will send him to a contender/non-rebuilding team and bring back the Pelicans assets in return along with all our picks and someone like Rozier (after Irving has re-signed).

Do you agree?

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Pretty sure Horford had multiple max offers. He picked the Celtics.

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is

Davis is not a top three player.

« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Remember Horford only came here because Celtics offered the most money and was not doing the Celtics any favours,

This is simply not true. The Hawks actually offered Horford more, but they didn't want to give him the 5th year. In addition, the Wizards also offered Horford the max.

« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Going to be hard getting Davis out of New Orleans. Didn't the Warriors players say they were going to make a pitch?

« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Horford probably opts out after next year, so you won't be able to trade him if he does.

« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Davis is not a top three player.
Maybe not... maybe a top two player.

« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Recently saw the article about the top need for every NBA team in the league. Celtics were the only team, in the opinion of the writer, without a major need. The only big need the Celtics had, according to the article, was to steer clear of crazy Anthony Davis trade rumors and to focus on stability and the current roster.

I strongly agreed.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce