Author Topic: The decline of Tim Tebow  (Read 11569 times)

Re: The decline of Tim Tebow
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He was a nice diversion from the Hernandez drama this pre-season but his fans had no business thinking he was actually going to make this team. He is just not an NFL quarterback.
which is why he should have moved to h-back or TE.  He is big and quick.  If his hands are even decent he could easily be a contributor in that role on a team.  I just think he has too much pride and ego for him to actually do it.
I really thought that is what the Pats brought him in for. When he started the first summer practices off at QB I was surprised. But having friends around the college game at the D1 level they tell me the switch for most QBs to receiver or another position is extremely difficult as they haven't been trained in adjusting routes, timing routes, turning and spotting a ball already coming your way, catching a ball while being hit, creating separation, etc. if they haven't been trained in that from high school. Only the best of the best athletic QBs can usually make that transition at the pro level and few turn out to be widely successful at it.

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He was a nice diversion from the Hernandez drama this pre-season but his fans had no business thinking he was actually going to make this team. He is just not an NFL quarterback.
which is why he should have moved to h-back or TE.  He is big and quick.  If his hands are even decent he could easily be a contributor in that role on a team.  I just think he has too much pride and ego for him to actually do it.
I really thought that is what the Pats brought him in for. When he started the first summer practices off at QB I was surprised. But having friends around the college game at the D1 level they tell me the switch for most QBs to receiver or another position is extremely difficult as they haven't been trained in adjusting routes, timing routes, turning and spotting a ball already coming your way, catching a ball while being hit, creating separation, etc. if they haven't been trained in that from high school. Only the best of the best athletic QBs can usually make that transition at the pro level and few turn out to be widely successful at it.

I think Tebow has what it would have took to succeed with a position switch. Lets not forget he was one of the best college football players ever. Like previously stated I think his pride got in the way and he wouldn't give up on being a QB.

I would have like it if Tebow took the same approach as D Robinson is in Jacksonville. Come to the NFL without a position and just be used as a weapon. I personally would have loved to see Tebow develop into an H back type player, particularly being used as a 3rd down back with an athletic QB like cam newton or kaepernick. This would give a defense a very tough read not to mention his QB experience should give him a mental edge with blitz pickup.

But at this point its to late the ship has sailed. Hope he plays in canada.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Tim Tebow ladies and gentlemen.  Turning down work because he is a "QB".

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9640640/tim-tebow-refused-change-positions-report
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9640640/tim-tebow-refused-change-positions-report

an unemployed worker declining work offers? to make things worse, he isn't an NFL QB

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

an unemployed worker declining work offers? to make things worse, he isn't an NFL QB

If he really wants to play in the NFL, he should scratch & claw to play whatever position is necessary for him to make an NFL roster.

Physically, he's gifted enough where if he puts in the time and practice, he should be able to transition to another position.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

If he really wants to play in the NFL, he should scratch & claw to play whatever position is necessary for him to make an NFL roster.

Physically, he's gifted enough where if he puts in the time and practice, he should be able to transition to another position.

I know right! He's a big and athletic QB who LOVES to run. He cannot pass! Why don't he just play a TE so he can actually catch and run!!

Maybe if he goes long enough without a job, he'll think again, maybe even return to the Pats as a TE or w/e we make him (Brady didn't rule out a possibility that they can get him back)

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I have to admit his attitude is starting to bother me. Yes it's not "fair" that Sanchez is supposedly an NFL qb and he's not, but there is nothing fair about life. If he wants to be a professional preacher like his dad instead of being a pro linebacker or fullback or CFL QB then by all means go ahead.  There is also the land of Dancing with the Stars and modeling and coaching. But you don't get to throw for under 50% for a long time and throw some really bad balls and get to dictate to teams that you will be a QB only. Even if he were advocating to be a slash I could understand. But he said in his book QB is the only position he ever wanted to play and he can do that all he wants in the local touch league.

Actually I have to admit if he were on my touch team and wanted to be QB I'd have to say "Well ok, but I think we should give that guy a chance to see what he can do too, because he always wanted to be a QB and that's what touch league is all about"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:59:25 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

I think Tebow has what it would have took to succeed with a position switch. Lets not forget he was one of the best college football players ever. Like previously stated I think his pride got in the way and he wouldn't give up on being a QB.

I would have like it if Tebow took the same approach as D Robinson is in Jacksonville. Come to the NFL without a position and just be used as a weapon. I personally would have loved to see Tebow develop into an H back type player, particularly being used as a 3rd down back with an athletic QB like cam newton or kaepernick. This would give a defense a very tough read not to mention his QB experience should give him a mental edge with blitz pickup.

But at this point its to late the ship has sailed. Hope he plays in canada.

I actually agree that he could potentially be successful in a position change. Aaron Hernandez was one of the most useful players in the league when shifting from TE to H-Back type plays, and Tebow would probably be a less effective but still positive version of that with work.

But I wouldn't predict that he should be successful in the NFL because of college greatness; there doesn't seem to be much guarantee of that especially for qb. Too many great great college players just fail at the NFL level.

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 04:01:39 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
His "Decline" kind of reminds me of Dontrell Willis in baseball. Unconventional, then nothing changes about the player, but that's the problem. League adjusts to the unconventional aspect then the player can't adjust, so no more usefulness.

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I like Tebow. I just don't see how people are so confident that he'd be a better TE than QB at the NFL level. Or halfback, safety, etc.

The more imposing TEs in the league have 2-3 inches and 30 lbs on him. Vernon Davis runs a 4.4... Jimmy Graham is 6'7" and plays like a WR. Jason Witten is 6'6". Tony Gonzalez could have played in the NBA. And all of these guys are experienced at the position.

Of course there are scrappy, smart players that succeed in the NFL - but there are a whole lot more that don't, and by NFL standards Tebow is no more than an average athlete once he leaves the QB position. I think his best shot was, and still remains, that he finds a way to further develop as a QB. How he does that is anyone's guess - maybe he needs to find another league to play in and adjust his game, and he gets one last shot a few years down the road.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
His "Decline" kind of reminds me of Dontrell Willis in baseball. Unconventional, then nothing changes about the player, but that's the problem. League adjusts to the unconventional aspect then the player can't adjust, so no more usefulness.

I have to think Manziel is seeing what happened to Tebow and is one of the reasons why he's been working to be more of traditional pocket QB with added mobility this season. He knows "next level" is going to be a lot different.

Too bad he hasn't adapted Tebow's personality, though. 

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I have to admit his attitude is starting to bother me. Yes it's not "fair" that Sanchez is supposedly an NFL qb and he's not, but there is nothing fair about life. If he wants to be a professional preacher like his dad instead of being a pro linebacker or fullback or CFL QB then by all means go ahead.  There is also the land of Dancing with the Stars and modeling and coaching. But you don't get to throw for under 50% for a long time and throw some really bad balls and get to dictate to teams that you will be a QB only. Even if he were advocating to be a slash I could understand. But he said in his book QB is the only position he ever wanted to play and he can do that all he wants in the local touch league.

Actually I have to admit if he were on my touch team and wanted to be QB I'd have to say "Well ok, but I think we should give that guy a chance to see what he can do too, because he always wanted to be a QB and that's what touch league is all about"

exactly - I have pride too, but if I work that hard to be in the pros, I would work extra hard to stay in it. He got released/traded three times cuz he sucks at his position. You're out of a job, why won't you compromise, so that you can get a job

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like Tebow. I just don't see how people are so confident that he'd be a better TE than QB at the NFL level. Or halfback, safety, etc.

The more imposing TEs in the league have 2-3 inches and 30 lbs on him. Vernon Davis runs a 4.4... Jimmy Graham is 6'7" and plays like a WR. Jason Witten is 6'6". Tony Gonzalez could have played in the NBA. And all of these guys are experienced at the position.

Of course there are scrappy, smart players that succeed in the NFL - but there are a whole lot more that don't, and by NFL standards Tebow is no more than an average athlete once he leaves the QB position. I think his best shot was, and still remains, that he finds a way to further develop as a QB. How he does that is anyone's guess - maybe he needs to find another league to play in and adjust his game, and he gets one last shot a few years down the road.

I don't think  he would necessarily be an All-Pro or even Pro Bowl tight end but I do think he could carve out a solid NFL career in the mold of maybe a lesser Chris Cooley.

I think he could be a pretty solid football player playing more of a hybrid H-Back position than a true TE like Graham, Gonzalez, or Gronk.  I think you're right about the size factor there. I saw hybrid because I think you'd be able to run him more often than a traditional H Back.

If teams used him in the way the Pats utilized Hernandez, I think that's where Tebow could be a useful football player.

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

You listed 4 of the best TE's in the game.  There are plenty of TE's that are in his general size range however and many have nice long careers (like Owen Daniels and Dallas Clark among others)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hernandez works because of his speed. Tebow has the speed to do traditional TE routes and screens though.