Author Topic: Pats-Jets 9-20  (Read 13885 times)

Re: Pats-Jets 9-20
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/09/brady_we_havent.html

Brady denied that the Jets' pressure made him uncomfortable to the point of stifling the offense.

"Well, I wouldn't say that. There were no sacks. Anytime you throw 47 times they're going to hurry you from time to time. It's not like you're going to stand back there for 47 attempts untouched," he said.
You think he's going to admit that their pressure bothered him? Not really how he's ever dealt with the media. To say otherwise would be spun as him doubting himself or burying his own O-line.

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/09/brady_we_havent.html

Brady denied that the Jets' pressure made him uncomfortable to the point of stifling the offense.

"Well, I wouldn't say that. There were no sacks. Anytime you throw 47 times they're going to hurry you from time to time. It's not like you're going to stand back there for 47 attempts untouched," he said.
You think he's going to admit that their pressure bothered him? Not really how he's ever dealt with the media. To say otherwise would be spun as him doubting himself or burying his own O-line.

Just saying he talked about the 0 sacks...

However I would say that by saying that he wasnt bothered and the O-line did a good job he is putting the blame on himself so take that for what you will.   
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Just saying he talked about the 0 sacks...

However I would say that by saying that he wasnt bothered and the O-line did a good job he is putting the blame on himself so take that for what you will.   

HE also didn't say that the pressure didn't effect them.

There's a clear qualifier in the main sentence.

So he did not in fact, say that the pressure didn't bother him, as you surmised. he said it wasen't so intense it stifled the offense, not that it wasen't effective.

as fafnir said, he's not going to say "yea, we really need to do a better job protecting me" because it throws his O-line under the bus, something that is never done by good quarterbacks.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
something that is never done by good quarterbacks.
Petyon Manning would like to have a word with you....

As would many, many other good to great QBs.

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Has peyton done that since his early years? if he has i can't remember it.

And if he once did it, it doesn't follow that they are now a horrible QB or that it's something good QB's do on a regular basis. Mabey i should have said "shouldn't be done" to make it clear.

The point remains, QB's tend to not throw thier O-lines under the bus, even when they didn't do a good job. As a former O-linemen, you don't want to imply i don't do my job, don't give effort or you don't trust me to do my job effectively.

If we (as a O-line unit) stunk up the joint, I'm going to A) know it. you can tell when your having an off game and your QB and RB's are getting murdered, and it sucks. Nothing is worse as an o-lineman then seeing a team killing you at the point of attack or in the pass rush and feeling powerless to stop it.

B) Hear about it all week long, from my O-line coach and any other coach that might wander by.

Your (QB) added comments and opinions don't make me suddenly think back on a game I thought went great for the oline and realize we stunk. I know that already.

It just makes me ticked off and hurt that my QB, who i go to war for on every snap, doesn't seem to respect me.

and you'd rather really have me in the mood to run through a brick wall and kill someone for you than be thinking your a whiny clown or that you don't think im good enough to block for you.

It's just good leadership.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:02:13 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

And if he once did it, it doesn't follow that they are now a horrible QB or that it's something good QB's do on a regular basis. Mabey i should have said "shouldn't be done" to make it clear.

Yeah definitely something they shouldn't do. Manning famously said it after their loss to Pittsburgh during the Steelers first recent SB run. It was the year he set a bunch of records and they were 13-0...

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Yeah definitely something they shouldn't do. Manning famously said it after their loss to Pittsburgh during the Steelers first recent SB run. It was the year he set a bunch of records and they were 13-0...

See my above, I guess i should say "you should try to avoid it" or "good  QB's avoid it, even if they think it and are right" for reasons i put in the edit.

That doesn't mean good QB's don't screw up and say something they shouldn't of course.

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

See my above, I guess i should say "you should try to avoid it" or "good  QB's avoid it, even if they think it and are right" for reasons i put in the edit.

That doesn't mean good QB's don't screw up and say something they shouldn't of course.
I got you, I was just giving the one time I remember Manning specifically doing it.

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I agree with Brady saying that the Jets defense wasn't intense enough to cause the Pats offense to go cold in the 2nd half.

Because the Pats could have made plays after the Jets pressure.

The Pats could have caught some catchable passes and Brady could have made a few better throws.

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

IMHO the Patriots' play selection was terrible.  When the defense is sending 5-6 guys with their ears pinned back on every play, you don't try to take deep drops and throw the ball 15-20 years downfield.  You use draw plays, delay traps and screen passes to make the defense pay for overcommitting. At minimum you take three step drops and throw short passes. 

I'm not sure where to put the blame for this bad play calling, but I'm sure that hubris had something to do with it.

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
well now there is an answer why the Pats didnt use the screen play more against the Jets. 

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked today about the lack of screen passes to running backs and explained the team's decision-making. Belichick said most of the Jets' blitzes are man-to-man, which made the screen game a challenge to execute.

"There is not a lot of space a lot of times between your backs and your tight ends and the guys who are covering them," Belichick said. "One of the keys on the screen is to be able to get it started and get the ball to the back or tight end, or whoever you're screening to, with a blocker in front of them. As much man coverage as they play, it's kind of feast or famine.

"If you could block a guy who is covering that player, you might have a lot of space. But if you can't get him -- and they're pretty hard to get because they're so close and a lot of times it's hard for the linemen to even know who that player is that has him -- you don't have much.

"The Jets haven't been screened a whole lot this year. I'm not saying you can't do it, but there is definitely some downside to it. It's a little tricky to screen a team like that when you don't really know who is covering the guy you're screening to and that's the guy you really have to get."

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/blog?name=reiss

I think I still would have liked to have seen them try it, but as I said earlier in the thread, it's hard to question his decisions...