Author Topic: Pats-Jets 9-20  (Read 13885 times)

Re: Pats-Jets 9-20
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
All I can say about next week is...

GO FALCONS!  GO MATTY ICE!

If the Patriots are going to disappoint this year, I'd like them to disappoint in truly putrid fashion.  Let's start 1-2.  I like the Falcons chances.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
All I can say about next week is...

GO FALCONS!  GO MATTY ICE!

If the Patriots are going to disappoint this year, I'd like them to disappoint in truly putrid fashion.  Let's start 1-2.  I like the Falcons chances.
Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez = quick learners.

Nice to see these young guys perform.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Was it just me or did Moss seem to be jogging through a bunch of his routes today when they showed the replays. He just had that very disinterested look about him today.

Brady was awful and hence the entire offense was bad.

Funny that when people start pointing to what is wrong with this team and what is different they seem to point to the defensive side and the names that are missing but, at this point, it is not the defensive side of the ball that is wrong with this team. They have actually played quite well.

I think Moss was jogging through some routes, but I think that is not a problem.  I remember seeing him do this his entire career.  They even mentioned it during the broadcast, as he attempts to lull the CB into feeling like he is with him, and then Randy uses a burst to get to the ball.  When it works, you are like whoa! but when it doesnt it looks like he isnt trying.  I dont really think it is much of an issue.

One of the things that really surprised me was the lack of the screen pass.  If I remember correctly, they tried 2 bubble screens and thats it.  One which Edelman dropped near the goal line because he took his eye off the ball to locate the end zone (would have been a td if he caught it) and one that was executed awfully that ended up being a 3-5 yard loss. 

But it was surprising because you always hear about using screens to try and slow down a blitzing defense.  I guess I cant really call out BB for tactical decisions because he knows more than I will ever dream to know, but it seemed like a very curious decision.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Was it just me or did Moss seem to be jogging through a bunch of his routes today when they showed the replays. He just had that very disinterested look about him today.

Funny that when people start pointing to what is wrong with this team and what is different they seem to point to the defensive side and the names that are missing but, at this point, it is not the defensive side of the ball that is wrong with this team. They have actually played quite well.

I think Moss was jogging through some routes, but I think that is not a problem.  I remember seeing him do this his entire career.  They even mentioned it during the broadcast, as he attempts to lull the CB into feeling like he is with him, and then Randy uses a burst to get to the ball.  When it works, you are like whoa! but when it doesnt it looks like he isnt trying.  I dont really think it is much of an issue.

One of the things that really surprised me was the lack of the screen pass.  If I remember correctly, they tried 2 bubble screens and thats it.  One which Edelman dropped near the goal line because he took his eye off the ball to locate the end zone (would have been a td if he caught it) and one that was executed awfully that ended up being a 3-5 yard loss. 

But it was surprising because you always hear about using screens to try and slow down a blitzing defense.  I guess I cant really call out BB for tactical decisions because he knows more than I will ever dream to know, but it seemed like a very curious decision.
The QB coach is doing the play calling on offense this year, not Coach Bill. And yes, the proper way to keep a blitzing defense honest is to throw a few screens in but the Jets were sending 7 guys on their blitzes and because of that with the one back set, the Pats needed to keep the RB home for pass protection or get Brady killed. I still think they could have run a couple though and on blitz packages, the WR screen never seems to work as well as the RB screen.

And I was talking about more than just jogging to lull the guy to sleep on a route about Moss. I mean, he appeared to be taking entire plays off because they weren't throwing his way. That play where he had to jump in the back of the endzone to attempt to catch a ball that was deflected straight up in the air. He took that play off because he knew he was a decoy. He was barely even jogging through it.

My problem with Moss is that if the coaching staff sees him up against a tough CB matchup and decide during the week it is in the team's best interest to use him as a decoy most of the game to clear space for others, he takes the entire game off and half asses it. I really think that's what I saw out of him yesterday. He was just going through the motions all day.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Some Positives from the game

-Brady didnt get sacked once
-Defense played well(Guyton 10 tackles though most were downfield)
-Gostkowski kicked well
-Secondary played a good game for the most part
-Edelman did well even though there were some drops
-Watson had some catches

Negatives
-Brady played pretty darn bad due to what I see as a number of issues
      -Lack of timing with newer receivers(Edelman, Galloway)
      -Revis played a really great game
      -Constant pressure on Brady to release the ball quick or off back foot
      -Dropped passes
-Running the ball to the left on third and one(With sammy morris as the fullback)
-Not being able to stop the Jets on third and 13 near their goal line
-Pass rush wasnt great for the most part

And the one I dont hear anybody talking about
-Return game.  Jets seemed to be starting at the 40 every time, Pats at the 20.  Without Ellis and Welker our return game seemed pedestrian
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think that is all that great considering how much he got hit and the pressure got to him. Under 50% completions for the game is as important as having two or three sacks for a loss.

Trading away Russ Hochstein killed the Pats with their injuries. But still their line has to do a better job.

No 16-0 this year....

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 09:21:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I don't think that is all that great considering how much he got hit and the pressure got to him. Under 50% completions for the game is as important as having two or three sacks for a loss.

Trading away Russ Hochstein killed the Pats with their injuries. But still their line has to do a better job.

No 16-0 this year....

I think not getting sacked once is pretty good.  It shows good decision making in my opinion.  As Dan Marino said, some of the best passes are the ones that you throw away.  While it lowers completion percentage it prevents negative yard plays. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 09:25:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

No 16-0 this year....

I think not getting sacked once is pretty good.  It shows good decision making in my opinion.  As Dan Marino said, some of the best passes are the ones that you throw away.  While it lowers completion percentage it prevents negative yard plays. 
Oh an incompletion is definitely better than a sack. My point is that it doesn't matter when you look at the game as a whole.

The point of pressuring the QB is to prevent him from having time to make plays in the passing game some of the time, and making him get happy feet and be inaccurate even when he does have time. This clearly happened to Brady during the game.

If he was able to throw the ball away and still complete enough big passes to make the Jets pay for their blitzes then the no sacks would be a "positive". As it is its just a statistical blip from a game were the Pats offense wasn't able to get the job done.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

The QB coach is doing the play calling on offense this year, not Coach Bill. And yes, the proper way to keep a blitzing defense honest is to throw a few screens in but the Jets were sending 7 guys on their blitzes and because of that with the one back set, the Pats needed to keep the RB home for pass protection or get Brady killed. I still think they could have run a couple though and on blitz packages, the WR screen never seems to work as well as the RB screen.

And I was talking about more than just jogging to lull the guy to sleep on a route about Moss. I mean, he appeared to be taking entire plays off because they weren't throwing his way. That play where he had to jump in the back of the endzone to attempt to catch a ball that was deflected straight up in the air. He took that play off because he knew he was a decoy. He was barely even jogging through it.

My problem with Moss is that if the coaching staff sees him up against a tough CB matchup and decide during the week it is in the team's best interest to use him as a decoy most of the game to clear space for others, he takes the entire game off and half asses it. I really think that's what I saw out of him yesterday. He was just going through the motions all day.

While I relize BB is not calling the plays, he certanily has a hand in what is called.  He has said that in the past. Everythng goes trhough him.

I disagree about Moss, but who knows...I guess we will see in the next couple of games

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I thought the Super Bowl loss would humble Brady and Belichick, it didn't.  I thought the knee injury would humble Brady, it didn't.  Maybe this early season loss to a heated rival will do it?

This team simply isn't the close to the teams that were winning Super Bowls.  The O line isn't protecting Brady, when he does have time he is missing his throws.  There is little to no leadership on the defense.

At best they are a playoff team right now, both sides of the ball have a long way to go to become a Super Bowl team.  I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying they have a long, long, way to go.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Im just saying in the grand scheme of things, when you have no sacks that means:

-Your QB has a good pocket presence and his internal clock is working correctly
-Your O-Line is doing a decent job with the blitz(Say what you will, with the ammount of times the Jets blitz if you told people before the game he would not be sacked once people would call you crazy)
-Not as many negative yardage plays

Obviously the offense didnt get it done in this game, they didnt have a touchdown. It was clear Brady was not comfortable in the pocket and was rushed into throws.  However there is something to be said for rushed throws that are still catchable for receivers but arent dangerous passes that are lucky not to be picked off.  

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I thought the Super Bowl loss would humble Brady and Belichick, it didn't.  I thought the knee injury would humble Brady, it didn't.  Maybe this early season loss to a heated rival will do it?

This team simply isn't the close to the teams that were winning Super Bowls.  The O line isn't protecting Brady, when he does have time he is missing his throws.  There is little to no leadership on the defense.

At best they are a playoff team right now, both sides of the ball have a long way to go to become a Super Bowl team.  I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying they have a long, long, way to go.

Id say that is a pretty strong comment to make when the team didnt have its leading receiver from the past two years and the defensive rookie of the year last year playing in the game. 

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Id say that is a pretty strong comment to make when the team didnt have its leading receiver from the past two years and the defensive rookie of the year last year playing in the game. 

Every team has injury. When the Pats were winning Super Bowls they were able to separate themselves from the league by masking or replacing those injured players through their depth. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's still the case.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
-Your QB has a good pocket presence and his internal clock is working correctly
-Your O-Line is doing a decent job with the blitz(Say what you will, with the ammount of times the Jets blitz if you told people before the game he would not be sacked once people would call you crazy)  
But neither of those points are true.

Brady was hurried and rattled all day. He didn't have good pocket presence because he was unable to make plays against those blitzes, which is what you have to do to beat them. Its what Brady used to do certainly.

The O-line did a terrible job, the Pats couldn't run the ball or protect Brady. The Jets dominated the line of scrimmage.

You're focusing on sacks and trying to make the game seem better than it was.

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really see this as a transition year for the Pats as the defense moves away from the core that netted them their 2000's success and into a younger group with talent and potential that still needs to learn and develop.

That said, the defense has been very good this year and it is the offense that is the problem, mostly in the fact that our line, with the exception of Koppen and Mankins has been awful and because except for the last 5 minutes against the Bills, Brady has been very sub par and doesn't show the confidence in the deep ball at all.