Author Topic: Worst Idea Ever: NBA Hall of Fame to consider fan votes?  (Read 3759 times)

Worst Idea Ever: NBA Hall of Fame to consider fan votes?
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The basketball Hall of Fame is close to announcing a major change to the election process.

Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo is pushing forward with his pledge to increase transparency and fan interest.

For the first time, vote totals are expected to be released when the Class of 2010 is revealed next Monday in Indianapolis.

The class is expected to be headlined by Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen.

Fan involvement may begin as soon as next season with the groundbreaking move to include public balloting.

I think increased transparency is a good idea.  I think involving fans in the process is a terrible one.  I mean, this year the fans elected Allen Iverson to start, and almost Tracy McGrady.  Why on earth do we want them voting on Hall of Famers?

I mean, do we honestly think that the fans would have the nuance to vote for a guy like Dennis Johnson, who had underwhelming stats but was a great defender and team player?  Rather, I've got to think that fan votes will go to the Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter types. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Worst Idea Ever: NBA Hall of Fame to consider fan votes?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Recent retirees will get a lot more votes and older players will be forgotten

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Yeah this is a terrible idea and I hope it doesn't go through.

Hopefully someone will put some sense into Colangelo about this.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
On the plus side, I'll bet AC Green and BJ Armstrong just got a little excited  ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The basketball Hall of Fame is close to announcing a major change to the election process.

Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo is pushing forward with his pledge to increase transparency and fan interest.

For the first time, vote totals are expected to be released when the Class of 2010 is revealed next Monday in Indianapolis.

The class is expected to be headlined by Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen.

Fan involvement may begin as soon as next season with the groundbreaking move to include public balloting.

I think increased transparency is a good idea.  I think involving fans in the process is a terrible one.  I mean, this year the fans elected Allen Iverson to start, and almost Tracy McGrady.  Why on earth do we want them voting on Hall of Famers?

I mean, do we honestly think that the fans would have the nuance to vote for a guy like Dennis Johnson, who had underwhelming stats but was a great defender and team player?  Rather, I've got to think that fan votes will go to the Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter types. 
:P

look at the all star fan balloting and that is all you need to know, all nba team is what really matters
I live very close to the hall, maybe I'll get a bunch together to protest this, its that DUMB of an idea
imagine no coaches would get voted in, no euro players, no women but gerald green would have a good chance

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Great.  Team wrecker Iverson.  Tank Carter and his cousin.  Name your popular malcontent who will never sniff a championship.  Donaghy?

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Honestly though, does anyone think Iverson and Carter aren't getting in with or without fan votes?  McGrady is more on the fence, but those two are locks, especially Iverson.

Also, the NFL HOF has been doing this for a few years and I haven't seen any egregious selections come out of it.  This is more about a feeling of input than actual input.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Honestly though, does anyone think Iverson and Carter aren't getting in with or without fan votes?  McGrady is more on the fence, but those two are locks, especially Iverson.
I don't think Vince Carter is lock. I think he's more likely to miss out than to get in. Ditto for McGrady. Although, if this fan voting plays a big role, then that will change.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't like Iverson, but he SHOULD be a lock for the HOF. 

The simple fact, though, that fans STILL think he was worthy of being a started in the All Star game is the point.  Iverson and Carter and McGrady are just examples of the types of players that fans tend to overvalue, whereas the contributions of guys like DJ and Rodman tend to be overlooked.

If anything, the HOF voting should be adjusted to better examine the careers of the DJ/Rodman types, not to place even more emphasis on the flashy guys.  Unless, of course, they just want the HOF to be the "Hall of the Most Popular".

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I don't think Vince Carter is lock. I think he's more likely to miss out than to get in. Ditto for McGrady. Although, if this fan voting plays a big role, then that will change.

I dunno, Carter's gonna break 20k in points next year.  The only guys to hit that number and not make the HOF are Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers, who are the two closest to the threshold.  If Vince makes it to 22 or 23k as he probably will, I don't think he's a first-ballot guy, but I don't think they keep him out forever either.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If anything, the HOF voting should be adjusted to better examine the careers of the DJ/Rodman types, not to place even more emphasis on the flashy guys.  Unless, of course, they just want the HOF to be the "Hall of the Most Popular".

Exactly right.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I agree that fan balloting would be an extremely bad idea for HOF voting and seem to agree with the sentiment that older players would be forgotten with flashier, more "newier" but less qualified candidates getting in.

I have to think that the fan balloting concept would be a component of the voting like 1/3 or 1/4 is weighed into the voting.  There's absolutely no way they can make this the determining factor in who's elected.  That'd be plain stupidity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Also, the NFL HOF has been doing this for a few years and I haven't seen any egregious selections come out of it.  This is more about a feeling of input than actual input.

The NFL fan votes don't count in any way.  Rather, they put up a website and ask fans to vote, and they track the results.  That's as far as it goes; the official selection process still comes down to the votes of their 44 member selection committee, which doesn't have a fan representative.

If the NBA wants to mimic that model, fine.  However, any system that counts fan voting in *any* way is one that I don't support.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I dunno, Carter's gonna break 20k in points next year.  The only guys to hit that number and not make the HOF are Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers, who are the two closest to the threshold.  If Vince makes it to 22 or 23k as he probably will, I don't think he's a first-ballot guy, but I don't think they keep him out forever either.
No individual awards + no team success

Vince still has time to change that because he could still play a leading role on an Orlando Magic title winning side but with he's done so far? I don't see it.

Not enough accomplishments. One All-NBA second team selection, one third team selection. Made it to the second round of the playoffs three times, never further.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:30:53 AM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
transparency in the voting results is a positive.

allowing fans to vote in any manner that counts is flat out stupid.  as others have stated, simply look at the yearly all-star ballots to gauge the vote results you'd see for the HOF.