Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394069 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1035 on: December 09, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So the Bucks are on a 14 game win streak huh? Yeah, I'm not buying that this season. I don't care how good they look in the regular season. Unless Giannis shows that he can't be game planned against I think the C's can beat them. People are still sleeping on this C's team, and I like it.  :D
The Bucks were the best team in the league last year as well.  Not sure why you wouldn't buy them as the best team in the league.  And this game planning against Giannis just isn't reality.  Yes, Kawhi did an excellent job on him, but the Bucks lost that series because their other guys stopped hitting shots which they had been hitting all season long.

They remind me of those LeBron led Cavs teams a decade ago. No I wouldn’t trust their role players to step up when Giannis starts getting surrounded in the paint.

They have less talent this year than last. Losing brogdon...on a whole I would say Kemba/Brown/Hayward/Tatum > Giannis/Middleton
strange to compare it 4 to 2.  Bledsoe was 1st Team All Defense last year and is a consistent 15 ppg scorer.  Lopez is still a fairly effective center.  The Bucks are much deeper than the C's are overall (I mean Middleton missed 7 games, all Bucks wins).  At the end of the day though, Giannis is BY FAR the best player on either team.  He torched Boston last year and they haven't exactly gotten better at defending him (losing Horford and Morris hurts in that department). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1036 on: December 09, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
With every Laker win the media frenzy increases

At this rate we'll be hearing tsunami alerts on BOTH coasts very soon.

A 200 foot tall Purple and Gold wave will threaten not only the US but the WORLD..............

I mean they're 21-3, have two of the top 7ish players in the league and play in the 2nd largest media market in the USA. They should be hyped. It will make it all the more satisfying when the C's beat them.

« Reply #1037 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

A 200 foot tall Purple and Gold wave will threaten not only the US but the WORLD..............

I mean they're 21-3, have two of the top 7ish players in the league and play in the 2nd largest media market in the USA. They should be hyped. It will make it all the more satisfying when the C's beat them.

I get that, but my TV was sweating a little while ago from the drool of ESPN smooching all over them.

I "do" feel a lot better about our chances against them after seeing Hayward back tonight, though. We're going to need to glue Smart to AD's hip but I think we have a chance against them.

« Reply #1038 on: December 09, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kings beat Rockets with last second 3 by Bialicza. Wow.

« Reply #1039 on: December 09, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I get that, but my TV was sweating a little while ago from the drool of ESPN smooching all over them.

I "do" feel a lot better about our chances against them after seeing Hayward back tonight, though. We're going to need to glue Smart to AD's hip but I think we have a chance against them.

If it's just one game, I like Smart on AD.
But in a 7-game series, the Lakers will adjust or make adjustments.

It wasn't long ago that the AD was torching GSW in the 1st round of the playoffs.
GSW still won, but AD couldn't be stopped, even Draymond couldn't contain AD.

Not a good idea to put someone as small as Smart on AD.

Smart on Giannis works because Giannis has no outside shot.

AD will keep shooting over Smart all game long.

« Reply #1040 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

While I do think ESPN loves them some Lakers, I think their more serious crush is on LeBron and any team he is on. Remember when ESPN in their basketball pages had the "Heat Check" in their top of the page menu along with things like Schedule, Scores, Standings, Teams, Power Rankings.

Didn't see anything like that for the Warriors dynasty, but for LeBron's team, they needed to have a whole separate subsection on their menu.

It's sickening.

« Reply #1041 on: December 09, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

It wasn't long ago that the AD was torching GSW in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I don't know....AD isn't exactly Karl Malone...dude isn't that strong upper body-wise.

Smart got right up in KLove's grill in the CLE game...took him completely out of the game.

Smart got right up in Porzingis' grill as well...took him out of his game, too.

AD is extremely talented but if the refs let Smart get physical with him that would be awesome.

« Reply #1042 on: December 09, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

While I do think ESPN loves them some Lakers, I think their more serious crush is on LeBron and any team he is on. Remember when ESPN in their basketball pages had the "Heat Check" in their top of the page menu along with things like Schedule, Scores, Standings, Teams, Power Rankings.

Didn't see anything like that for the Warriors dynasty, but for LeBron's team, they needed to have a whole separate subsection on their menu.

It's sickening.

That's the NBA, a business first and a sport second.

« Reply #1043 on: December 09, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I don't know....AD isn't exactly Karl Malone...dude isn't that strong upper body-wise.

Smart got right up in KLove's grill in the CLE game...took him completely out of the game.

Smart got right up in Porzingis' grill as well...took him out of his game, too.

AD is extremely talented but if the refs let Smart get physical with him that would be awesome.

I saw Draymond on AD in that 1st round series against GSW.

AD always found a way to score.

But because of a bad supporting cast, the Pels were no match for the GSW juggernaut.

« Reply #1044 on: December 09, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Got upset by SAC then got denied by the NBA on their appeal.

« Reply #1045 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:24 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

D'Antoni will never win a championship.

His system is not suited for the playoffs.

« Reply #1046 on: December 10, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't know.  If he was running that system with Durant and Curry instead of Harden and Paul, you might have a different outlook.  His system is definitely more prone to upsets given its heavy reliance on the 3 point shot, but I think their lack of winning is much more on the players in the system, then the system itself.  I mean it isn't like Harden or Paul had any real success before D'Antoni.  In fact, they were both known as playoff chokers (especially Paul) before ever stepping foot in D'Antoni's system. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1047 on: December 10, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I don't know.  If he was running that system with Durant and Curry instead of Harden and Paul, you might have a different outlook.  His system is definitely more prone to upsets given its heavy reliance on the 3 point shot, but I think their lack of winning is much more on the players in the system, then the system itself.  I mean it isn't like Harden or Paul had any real success before D'Antoni.  In fact, they were both known as playoff chokers (especially Paul) before ever stepping foot in D'Antoni's system.

Remember the Phoenix Suns of the early 2000s?

That team had an MVP Steve Nash, The Matrix, and Amare.
They won a lot of games, 60 games even, but they always end up failing in the playoffs.

The playoffs is different.
That fast paced offense D'Antoni runs only works in the regular season.
In the playoffs, the game slows down, every possession counts.

What's worse is D'Antoni's teams always played poor defense.

« Reply #1048 on: December 10, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean all of what you said just isn't true? You do realize the entire league plays faster and smaller than the Suns did back then? That GSW won multiple titles playing faster and smaller than the Suns? The Heat did the same?

« Reply #1049 on: December 10, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I mean all of what you said just isn't true? You do realize the entire league plays faster and smaller than the Suns did back then? That GSW won multiple titles playing faster and smaller than the Suns? The Heat did the same?

The GSW dynasty always played elite defense.

Same with Miami and Lebron, they always played great on defense.

Look at D'Antoni's teams from the Suns, to NY, to the Lakers, and to Houston, his teams always gives up a lot of points.

D'Antoni's philosophy is similar to that of Paul Westhead.
That philosophy is your defense is outscoring your opponent.
It just doesn't work!