Author Topic: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19  (Read 39697 times)

Re: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19
« Reply #630 on: February 21, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
EDIT Here's the replay, decide for yourselves, look at Morris. Kyrie screened him for a backdoor cut they spaced the floor but Middleton grabbed him and he got pushed to the ground. When Morris fell Kyrie had to run out to get the ball at the top of the key and had terrible position. But yes let's blame him for threatening to throw a tantrum if the ball didn't go to him  ::)

Criticize the guy by all means for a horrific shooting night and for being passive in the first half and waiting till the 4th quarter to really switch on and for being an all around annoying POS with his constant media statements, but criticizing him for unwarranted things isn't really kosher  :-\

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1098787895186313216

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #631 on: February 21, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Letting pgs have the last shot from a throw in... less than 5 sec

Is bad coaching. Unless the pg is tall/long

Tatum should have been given the ball
Yeah, too bad we just have some PG.
That must be why Curry never gets a last shot, especially before Durant. Or why Damian Lillard never does either. Same with IT. Can even go further back a bit to Gilbert Arenas and AI, short guys who never succeeded with the last shot.

Gimme a break
Trying to figure out if you’re serious?  First of all, giving the ball to Durant instead of curry is meaningless.  Let me know when they start giving it to iguadala regularly over curry.  Second, you’re completely making ish up. Who says IT, AI, Liilwrd, and hell, even curry don’t regularly get the last shot? 

Finally, point to someone else on this team who deserves to get the balm over Irving? Tatum? I know he taller but he hasn’t earned jack.  Horford can’t get his own shot fast enough.  Mook?

I’m not saying they can’t make it or that we should try to get the cleanest shot, but in that situation it’s Kyrie 10 out of 10 times and let him make the decision.
I'm on your side - was being sarcastic.

Saying having a PG take the last shot is bad coaching is a nonsensical take
I clearly got all twisted up since you responded to my comment about having some no name PG.

And I guess I answered my question.  You were not serous.

« Reply #632 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
EDIT Here's the replay, decide for yourselves, look at Morris. Kyrie screened him for a backdoor cut they spaced the floor but Middleton grabbed him and he got pushed to the ground. When Morris fell Kyrie had to run out to get the ball at the top of the key and had terrible position. But yes let's blame him for threatening to throw a tantrum if the ball didn't go to him  ::)

Criticize the guy by all means for a horrific shooting night and for being passive in the first half and waiting till the 4th quarter to really switch on and for being an all around annoying POS with his constant media statements, but criticizing him for unwarranted things isn't really kosher  :-\

The replies are fantastic. It really highlights how there is plain and simple an agenda against Boston.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #633 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I need Stevens to blow up once in awhile to try and get some make up calls. The FT difference has been bad in alot of games this season

lol ..... let me know when that happens.

« Reply #634 on: February 21, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That must be why Curry never gets a last shot, especially before Durant. Or why Damian Lillard never does either. Same with IT. Can even go further back a bit to Gilbert Arenas and AI, short guys who never succeeded with the last shot.

Gimme a break
Trying to figure out if you’re serious?  First of all, giving the ball to Durant instead of curry is meaningless.  Let me know when they start giving it to iguadala regularly over curry.  Second, you’re completely making ish up. Who says IT, AI, Liilwrd, and hell, even curry don’t regularly get the last shot? 

Finally, point to someone else on this team who deserves to get the balm over Irving? Tatum? I know he taller but he hasn’t earned jack.  Horford can’t get his own shot fast enough.  Mook?

I’m not saying they can’t make it or that we should try to get the cleanest shot, but in that situation it’s Kyrie 10 out of 10 times and let him make the decision.

I clearly got all twisted up since you responded to my comment about having some no name PG.

And I guess I answered my question.  You were not serous.
No problem, I probably wasn't as clear as I could've been. Still mad!

« Reply #635 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I have zero problem with this being a loss. The Celtics hung with Milwaukee for the entire game and you could tell they were locked in at both ends of the court.

If Hayward's playing, he's inbounding the ball on that final play and maybe he can get the ball to Morris because Lopez shut off the pass with his positioning against Smart. If the ball goes to Morris chances are they call that foul on him. (they should have called it anyway because it was a blatant grab).

Al was wide open but I'm not sure whether he gets the shot off in time - he was going to have to rush it.  It is what it is. 

The Celtics played well enough to win - Milwaukee got the breaks at the end.

« Reply #636 on: February 21, 2019, 11:18:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Wow, that's awful. I didn't realize lobbing the ball to Morris was the intended play. That's bull s**. That said, I try to never pin a loss on the officials because it's out of everyone's control and is just an exercise in futility. The Celts can only control their play and to improve. But man, that's an awful missed call.

« Reply #637 on: February 21, 2019, 11:30:06 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Meh.. Kyrie needs to set that screen like a man and either get Morris free or create enough contact it has to be called. 

Looked like he was late and more worried about rolling open.

NBA players suck at fundamentals

« Reply #638 on: February 21, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Gimme a break

its because you don't understand basketball

you want to say what I'am saying is nonsensical

well I'm returning you the favor

3.5 sec...Irving is hounded like glue

Forget Irving. Any smaller non Westbrook type PG (all NBA, all star whatever) that won't be able to shoot over his defender easily. Running around screens.  twisting his body away from the basket to try to secure the inbound pass

You think it is easy to get a clean shot off?? explain to me how

Even if he can catch the ball cleanly without running around like a mad man. He still needs to fake out his man and shoot a difficult shot, over defenders

This is the reason why PGs trying to make a shot in THIS situation (less than 5 sec, inbound play) is not a preferred , high percentage play

IF you don't understand this... then nobody can help you

Other options

1. He inbounds then gets the ball back.... at least square to the basket but still a tough shot
2. He gets the inbound pass and then passes to the open man (which he didn't do and threw up a circus shot)
3. Inbound to Tatum or Al and then Kyrie receives the pass (square to the basket)
4. Pass it to Tatum who can attempt to shoot over his man

I believe in Tatum and that he can make this shot.  Last season without Kyrie for much of the season....which players made crucial shots at the end of games?  The celts didn't win all games 10 plus.   I feel like CBS wants to be diverse and create plays/traps in this situation.  Its just he is prevented to do this

« Reply #639 on: February 21, 2019, 11:52:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Other options

1. He inbounds then gets the ball back.... at least square to the basket but still a tough shot
2. He gets the inbound pass and then passes to the open man (which he didn't do and threw up a circus shot)
3. Inbound to Tatum or Al and then Kyrie receives the pass (square to the basket)
4. Pass it to Tatum who can attempt to shoot over his man

I believe in Tatum and that he can make this shot.  Last season without Kyrie for much of the season....which players made crucial shots at the end of games?  The celts didn't win all games 10 plus.   I feel like CBS wants to be diverse and create plays/traps in this situation.  Its just he is prevented to do this

Actually there's option 5 which is the actual play - the play was for Kyrie to screen for Morris who was going to cut to the basket. Brad Stevens mentioned it in his post game, they were going for a layup. Nobody was preventing Brad from running a play for someone other than Kyrie, they were running it for Mook. But Middleton grabbed Morris and prevented him from cutting so the ball went to Kyrie who ended up having to take a lower percentage shot.

If they wanted to run a play for Kyrie they wouldn't have had him taking the ball inbounds as you mentioned, it would probably have been a dribble handoff or him coming off a screen to take a shot.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:03:38 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #640 on: February 21, 2019, 11:56:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Gimme a break

its because you don't understand basketball

Ah, thanks! Thought so ::)

« Reply #641 on: February 22, 2019, 12:47:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
When horfod rebounds, the celtics look great. But just a bad shooting night for us.
I cant stand terry anymore.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #642 on: February 22, 2019, 12:56:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
When horfod rebounds, the celtics look great. But just a bad shooting night for us.

If Kyrie did leave in free agency, I pray Rozier is not the permanent replacement. Great athlete, but he gets into these slumps where he can't shoot a ball into the Grand Canyon.

« Reply #643 on: February 22, 2019, 01:23:31 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

If Kyrie did leave in free agency, I pray Rozier is not the permanent replacement. Great athlete, but he gets into these slumps where he can't shoot a ball into the Grand Canyon.

Scary Terry did not look so scary to Bledsoe this time around. Looks like Bledsoe had the last laugh tonight.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #644 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:22 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Scary Terry did not look so scary to Bledsoe this time around. Looks like Bledsoe had the last laugh tonight.

Eric had one of the worst games of the season as well.
On a couple od occasions, terry took a bad shot and just jogged up the floor behind his man. I have a problem when kyrie does that, but when your 8th guy in the rotation does that, you sit him for the rest od the game
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger