Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948494 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2595 on: July 02, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Rififi. Basically a French "Concrete Jungle". Excellent in every way with one of the best capers ever put on film.

« Reply #2596 on: July 02, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Rififi. Basically a French "Concrete Jungle". Excellent in every way with one of the best capers ever put on film.

The 1955 film? Meant to watch it for some time, I love noirs and Jules Dassin is big in Greece for obvious reasons.

Btw, Asphalt Jungle is one of my favourite movies. Sterling Hayden is amazing, I think his career was hindered by his height (6'5), can't think of any other reason why he remained a B movie star.

« Reply #2597 on: July 02, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

The 1955 film? Meant to watch it for some time, I love noirs and Jules Dassin is big in Greece for obvious reasons.

Btw, Asphalt Jungle is one of my favourite movies. Sterling Hayden is amazing, I think his career was hindered by his height (6'5), can't think of any other reason why he remained a B movie star.

Me too. I've been meaning to watch Rififi for like 10 years now but I never did until last night. It's every bit as good as Asphalt Jungle. Asphalt Jungle is one of the best noirs ever and Rififi is in the same class. I've got two more Jules Dassin movies, Night In The City and Thieves' Highway, on my Netflix list.
Sterling Hayden was still in some great movies, Johnny Guitar, The Godfather, The Long Goodbye, Dr. Strangelove, I think he was bored playing a lot of the B movies he played in and was more selective as he got older.

« Reply #2598 on: July 03, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Me too. I've been meaning to watch Rififi for like 10 years now but I never did until last night. It's every bit as good as Asphalt Jungle. Asphalt Jungle is one of the best noirs ever and Rififi is in the same class. I've got two more Jules Dassin movies, Night In The City and Thieves' Highway, on my Netflix list.
Sterling Hayden was still in some great movies, Johnny Guitar, The Godfather, The Long Goodbye, Dr. Strangelove, I think he was bored playing a lot of the B movies he played in and was more selective as he got older.

Throw in the aforementioned Asphalt Jungle and The Killing and he was in as many classics as anyone could hope for.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2599 on: July 03, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Throw in the aforementioned Asphalt Jungle and The Killing and he was in as many classics as anyone could hope for.

Took me some time to find this quote, but IMO it was worth it

John Huston first met Sterling Hayden in Washington, DC, during a protest against the House Un-American Activities Committee investigation of "subversives" in the film industry. When the pair met to discuss the project, Huston said to Hayden, "I've admired you for a long time, Sterling. They don't know what to make of a guy like you in this business." Huston was honest with Hayden about his chance for the lead role. Hayden recounts in his autobiography Huston's pitch: "Now, Sterling, I want you to do this part. The studio does not. They want a top name star. They say you mean nothing when it comes to box-office draw--I told them there aren't five names in this town [that] mean a [dang] thing at the box office. Fortunately, they're not making this picture. I am. Now let me tell you about Dix Handley . . .

Dix is you and me and every other man who can't fit into the groove." Rumored to be fighting severe alcohol and psychiatric problems, Hayden landed the role of Handley, his first major starring role, over the objection of MGM chief Dore Schary. Hayden's gritty performance proved many Hollywood naysayers flat wrong. For instance, Hayden himself was nervous about the climactic scene in the picture, when Dix breaks down in tears in front of Jean Hagen. According to the director, though, Hayden did not have anything to worry about. After the actor delivered the scene beautifully, Huston took Hayden aside and said, "The next time somebody says you can't act, tell them to call Huston.
"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042208/trivia

For a more "respectable" source, see here

Apart from alcohol and psychiatric problems, his ostracism might have also been politically motivated as he was a member of the Communist Party and had given names to the Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/24/obituaries/sterling-hayden-dead-at-70-an-actor-writer-and-sailor.html

« Reply #2600 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
So, I finally watched In Bruges (2008). The casting was great indeed , and you have several great actors in the movie (Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes). I liked Brendan Gleeson's performance in particular (incidentally he played Hamish in Braveheart - didn't recognize him at first).

I was a bit disappointed with the script, at times I felt like watching a tourist prom of Bruges.

Btw, I had a slight disagreement with my friend. I claimed that Farrell saying at the end of movie "I really wanted to live", meant he had finally overcome his suicidal tendencies; he claimed that four bullets are four bullets and he died.

Pasolini's Canterbury Tales (1972). Not as good as his two other movies based on literature's greats (Decameron, Arabian Nights); partly because England's nature is not as interesting for film purposes as Italy or Arabia, and partly because the stories in Chaucer's text are not particularly suitable for filming.

Still, the movie has several of Pasolini's strenghts. What I liked the most is his ability to make the best out of amateur actors. Seeing a young girl smiling genuinely at the camera can be really beautiful. And the settings are convincing despite the film being relatively low budget.

L'inferno (1911). Based on Dante's Divine Comedy. It was an international success to the point some people say its the first blockbuster in film history. Personally, although I like silent cinema, I didn't much enjoy this one. Rendering Dante's work in film is difficult, let alone if you do so without dialogue. The result was an endless succession of long intertitles explaining to the viewer what was actually going on.

At its time, the movie must have made an impression a human "freak show" due to the appearance of all kinds of mutilated and oddly shaped humans (mostly with the help of special effects) - but today this aspect of the movie feels like meh.

Still the movie did contain a few memorable powerful images.

Dante's Satan chewing Judas, Brutus and Cassius (don't ask me which of the three it is)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:28:45 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #2601 on: July 10, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
finally saw a few on the firestick:
- Annihilation.  ok movie.  killed some time.
- A Wrinkle in Time.  God-awful.  just awful writing and storyline. 
- The Commuter.  ok movie.  could see how pretty much everything was going to go about 1/4 of the way through the movie.  killed some time. 

« Reply #2602 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

better than the live movies!!!!

*sippin*

« Reply #2603 on: July 11, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

ssshhhh...

« Reply #2604 on: July 11, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Justice League. Actually liked it a fair amount
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2605 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sicario 2 is an excellent film. Best of 2018 so far..

« Reply #2606 on: July 14, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I liked it as well - more than the critics did apparently

« Reply #2607 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I liked it as well - more than the critics did apparently
Hate the whole "wow your mom is named Martha too....well never mind all this hate, let's be buddies" end of the movie, but really enjoyed it otherwise.

Going to see Ant-Man and the Wasp tomorrow. I'll be happy if its as good as the first Ant-Man.

« Reply #2608 on: July 14, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Saw Jaws on the big screen last night for the first time since the original run. Awesome.
Yup

« Reply #2609 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Saw Jaws on the big screen last night for the first time since the original run. Awesome.
Saw Jaws during its first run. Bit of an old man get off my lawn moment here but remember when you had to look in newspapers for movie times, usually one movie per theatre shown twice a day, and the advertisements would say: "The number one movie in America for the 18th straight week" stuff.

I think movies like ET, Star Wars, Jaws, the Godfather 1 and 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark and so on were the #1 movie in America for like half the year or more.

Now if you have the #1 movie for more than 3 weeks, its an epic event.