Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 962147 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1425 on: February 05, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Amelie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

man that was a horrid film. Last time I let the librarian decide

« Reply #1426 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Take shelter.

A film about a family man that develops paranoid schizophrenia.

Excellent film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #1427 on: February 05, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »

Kiorrik

Amelie

Wow. Seriously? :x

I loved it.

« Reply #1428 on: February 05, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Amelie

I loved it.

yeh

i liked that one too
Yup

« Reply #1429 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Amelie

I loved it.

yeh

i liked that one too
Same here.

« Reply #1430 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Maltese Falcon. Kinda in shock it's in the top 100 films. I've seen a good 200 or so better than that..dated and unlikely. And Bogart is overrated

Its a brilliant film. Have you no soul man? :(
I suppose it's the first major film noir, but uhhhh.....there's like 9 things wrong with it and sloppy.
My philosophy is that I do not give old movies bonus points for breaking new ground. I will watch them for historical purposes, but I will rate them based on how I enjoy it and whether I would recommend it to others.

So I can see where you are coming from, though I haven't seen the movie.

« Reply #1431 on: February 05, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Chronicle.

Man, if you like superhero movies, you will LOVE this movie. GO, SEE, IT.

It reminded me of Akira, for those who know their anime/manga.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-M5Qx57_UU
Saw it last night too.  We all liked it.  Fun movie.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"
Agree 100%. Movie critiques are always subjective and the #1 factor should be how much you enjoyed it.

I am looking forward to catching this movie. I am glad every time I see someone from Friday Night Lights land a movie role.

« Reply #1432 on: February 05, 2012, 03:52:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Crazy. Stupid, Love.

« Reply #1433 on: February 05, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Maltese Falcon. Kinda in shock it's in the top 100 films. I've seen a good 200 or so better than that..dated and unlikely. And Bogart is overrated

Its a brilliant film. Have you no soul man? :(
I suppose it's the first major film noir, but uhhhh.....there's like 9 things wrong with it and sloppy.

I apologize for the harshness of my comments. To me, you've got great acting all around, a good storyline and a film that holds up well. I really liked it.

« Reply #1434 on: February 05, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25624
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Chronicle.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"
Agree 100%. Movie critiques are always subjective and the #1 factor should be how much you enjoyed it.

Yeah.  I think it's possible to appreciate a movie for moving the genre forward, but not loving it personally.  I feel that way about Citizen Kane.  From a technical / directing standpoint, it's revolutionary.  I can appreciate the themes.  However, I just didn't enjoy the movie very much. 

I had an argument with one of my former roommates regarding the film, and he kept citing how critics loved it so much.  My response was "Yeah, but what's so great about it?", and his response was "Watch Roger Ebert's commentary, and it will explain why this is a great movie."

Roger Ebert can tell me how a movie stacks up to its contemporaries, and perhaps some of the techniques its using.  He can't tell me, however, whether the movie should resonate with me on a personal level, or whether I should enjoy it.  That all is completely subjective.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1435 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chronicle.

Yeah.  I think it's possible to appreciate a movie for moving the genre forward, but not loving it personally.  I feel that way about Citizen Kane.  From a technical / directing standpoint, it's revolutionary.  I can appreciate the themes.  However, I just didn't enjoy the movie very much. 

I had an argument with one of my former roommates regarding the film, and he kept citing how critics loved it so much.  My response was "Yeah, but what's so great about it?", and his response was "Watch Roger Ebert's commentary, and it will explain why this is a great movie."

Roger Ebert can tell me how a movie stacks up to its contemporaries, and perhaps some of the techniques its using.  He can't tell me, however, whether the movie should resonate with me on a personal level, or whether I should enjoy it.  That all is completely subjective.
Yeah, but Roy... "the critic in you" appreciated Citizen Kane from a directing and technical standpoint and felt it was revolutionary... but you didn't enjoy and/or were bored by it.  That's all encompassing of your critical subjective opinion. That's all encompassing of your personal feelings about the movie.  Both should (and just did) factor into your "review".  I've never seen Citizen Kane, but I now have a better idea of what to expect.

I saw "Tree of Life" last week, appreciated the acting.  Appreciated the themes.  THe movie was shot beautifully.  It made me think about it for days.  I felt it was really an ambitious artistic undertaking and for the most part it was pulled off... but I can understand why some would find it slow-paced or boring.  It wasn't my favorite movie.  If I'm rating the movie on a 1-100 scale I'm factoring all of this in.  I don't have two separate scores.   If I said, "the critic in me loved "Tree of Life"... I personally didn't love it, though" I'd sound like an idiot.

On the flip side of that, I saw "Tower Heist"... acknowledged that it wasn't a great artistic achievement, acknowledged that it had a lot of "misses"... but Eddie Murphy made me laugh in it and I actually really enjoyed it.  If I score it on 1-100, I factor all of that in.  I'm not giving it two separate scores.  If I said "the critic in me hated Tower Heist, but I personally loved it", I'd sound like a pretentious d-wad.  My critical and personal opinion was that Eddie Murphy made me laugh enough to recommend it as a rental.

« Reply #1436 on: February 05, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Chronicle.

Saw it last night too.  We all liked it.  Fun movie.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"

Yeah.  I think it's possible to appreciate a movie for moving the genre forward, but not loving it personally.  I feel that way about Citizen Kane.  From a technical / directing standpoint, it's revolutionary.  I can appreciate the themes.  However, I just didn't enjoy the movie very much.  

I had an argument with one of my former roommates regarding the film, and he kept citing how critics loved it so much.  My response was "Yeah, but what's so great about it?", and his response was "Watch Roger Ebert's commentary, and it will explain why this is a great movie."

Roger Ebert can tell me how a movie stacks up to its contemporaries, and perhaps some of the techniques its using.  He can't tell me, however, whether the movie should resonate with me on a personal level, or whether I should enjoy it.  That all is completely subjective.
Yeah, but Roy... "the critic in you" appreciated Citizen Kane from a directing and technical standpoint and felt it was revolutionary... but you didn't enjoy and/or were bored by it.  That's all encompassing of your critical subjective opinion. That's all encompassing of your personal feelings about the movie.  Both should (and just did) factor into your "review".  I've never seen Citizen Kane, but I now have a better idea of what to expect.

I saw "Tree of Life" last week, appreciated the acting.  Appreciated the themes.  THe movie was shot beautifully.  It made me think about it for days.  I felt it was really an ambitious artistic undertaking and for the most part it was pulled off... but I can understand why some would find it slow-paced or boring.  It wasn't my favorite movie.  If I'm rating the movie on a 1-100 scale I'm factoring all of this in.  I don't have two separate scores.   If I said, "the critic in me loved "Tree of Life"... I personally didn't love it, though" I'd sound like an idiot.

On the flip side of that, I saw "Tower Heist"... acknowledged that it wasn't a great artistic achievement, acknowledged that it had a lot of "misses"... but Eddie Murphy made me laugh in it and I actually really enjoyed it.  If I score it on 1-100, I factor all of that in.  I'm not giving it two separate scores.  If I said "the critic in me hated Tower Heist, but I personally loved it", I'd sound like a pretentious d-wad.

Yeah, I think we're probably saying the same things.  If I'm reviewing Citizen Kane, I'll talk about it's revolutionary lighting and directing, and I'll talk about some of the themes the movie explored.  However, I'll also talk about the pacing, and how the story resonated.  Therefore, I'm giving it a "thumbs sideways", somewhere around a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10.  

If I did it the "internal critic" way, I'd give it a score of 9.5 / thumbs up on one scale, but a 3 / thumbs down on a personal enjoyment level.  It seems silly to do it that way.

Back to Chronicle, I'm surprised at the word of mouth I've heard, just because I think the trailer looks pretty lame.  However, I'll check it out, because usually when there's a lot of buzz for a movie, it's a least worth watching.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1437 on: February 05, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it is at once possible to acknowledge something as revolutionary, masterful, and also acknowledge you don't like it. Tree of Life is a great example. For me, it was a masterful, colorful, well-acted, ambitiously conceived exercise in tooth-pulling.

But, I can understand why people lose their 'stuff' when describing it. Like Pink Floyd and the KFC Double-Down.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1438 on: February 05, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

But, I can understand why people lose their 'stuff' when describing it. Like Pink Floyd and the KFC Double-Down.

Haha.  Yeah, the Double-Down is a great example here.  Conceptually, it's amazing.  It pushes the genre of sandwiches forward in a revolutionary way, eliminating the pesky bread component.  There's a lot there to love, and it will be celebrated for generations to come.  And yet, it's a bit of a letdown at the same time, because you know, it just doesn't taste very good.

« Reply #1439 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chronicle.

Saw it last night too.  We all liked it.  Fun movie.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"

Yeah.  I think it's possible to appreciate a movie for moving the genre forward, but not loving it personally.  I feel that way about Citizen Kane.  From a technical / directing standpoint, it's revolutionary.  I can appreciate the themes.  However, I just didn't enjoy the movie very much.  

I had an argument with one of my former roommates regarding the film, and he kept citing how critics loved it so much.  My response was "Yeah, but what's so great about it?", and his response was "Watch Roger Ebert's commentary, and it will explain why this is a great movie."

Roger Ebert can tell me how a movie stacks up to its contemporaries, and perhaps some of the techniques its using.  He can't tell me, however, whether the movie should resonate with me on a personal level, or whether I should enjoy it.  That all is completely subjective.
Yeah, but Roy... "the critic in you" appreciated Citizen Kane from a directing and technical standpoint and felt it was revolutionary... but you didn't enjoy and/or were bored by it.  That's all encompassing of your critical subjective opinion. That's all encompassing of your personal feelings about the movie.  Both should (and just did) factor into your "review".  I've never seen Citizen Kane, but I now have a better idea of what to expect.

I saw "Tree of Life" last week, appreciated the acting.  Appreciated the themes.  THe movie was shot beautifully.  It made me think about it for days.  I felt it was really an ambitious artistic undertaking and for the most part it was pulled off... but I can understand why some would find it slow-paced or boring.  It wasn't my favorite movie.  If I'm rating the movie on a 1-100 scale I'm factoring all of this in.  I don't have two separate scores.   If I said, "the critic in me loved "Tree of Life"... I personally didn't love it, though" I'd sound like an idiot.

On the flip side of that, I saw "Tower Heist"... acknowledged that it wasn't a great artistic achievement, acknowledged that it had a lot of "misses"... but Eddie Murphy made me laugh in it and I actually really enjoyed it.  If I score it on 1-100, I factor all of that in.  I'm not giving it two separate scores.  If I said "the critic in me hated Tower Heist, but I personally loved it", I'd sound like a pretentious d-wad.

Yeah, I think we're probably saying the same things.  If I'm reviewing Citizen Kane, I'll talk about it's revolutionary lighting and directing, and I'll talk about some of the themes the movie explored.  However, I'll also talk about the pacing, and how the story resonated.  Therefore, I'm giving it a "thumbs sideways", somewhere around a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10.  

If I did it the "internal critic" way, I'd give it a score of 9.5 / thumbs up on one scale, but a 3 / thumbs down on a personal enjoyment level.  It seems silly to do it that way.

Back to Chronicle, I'm surprised at the word of mouth I've heard, just because I think the trailer looks pretty lame.  However, I'll check it out, because usually when there's a lot of buzz for a movie, it's a least worth watching.
Yeah I do get you... but I think if your "internal critic" gives it a 9.5 and you personally give it a 5.5... your "internal critic" isn't being honest.  It's perfectly ok to think a groundbreaking movie is overrated.  Haha.

Btw... it's not like Chronicle was some groundbreaking artistic achievement.  It's Blair Witch/Cloverfield meets the Superhero genre.  It was a fun movie, but it's not going to win any awards.  In other words...  the guy was an idiot.