Author Topic: Celtics through 10 days are the best defensive team in the NBA  (Read 5547 times)

Re: Celtics through 10 days are the best defensive team in the NBA
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Are celtics an elite offensive team

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We were an elite defensive team last year, so this shouldn’t be all that surprising.

The fact that we are head and shoulders above everyone else is interesting, considering how poorly we have been offensively. Once we start putting the ball in the basket more consistently and have the opposing team take the ball out, we can set our defense more and actually improve that number.

IMO, out of our top-10, only Kyrie isn’t a plus defender (for the many of you that think Gordon isn’t right now, he will be).
I think that's a key point that may be overlooked so far this season

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Their main problem is they're missing a lot of 3s. And they shoot a lot of them, so they can die by them.

In OKC, they were missing almost every 3 in the first half, then came back strongly at the finish to shoot over 30% 3s. I think that's how I remember the box score. They shot around 30-35 3s, which is about normal in the NBA today. You shoot over 40, you are probably shooting too many 3s.

I wish Stevens would designate guys as 3P shooters. I think it's unwise to have some guys shooting 3s who can't hit at least 34% of them--the level where the 3P is preferred over the 2P. That just drives the 3P shooting % down, and loses games if you shoot enough of them.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We were an elite defensive team last year, so this shouldn’t be all that surprising.

The fact that we are head and shoulders above everyone else is interesting, considering how poorly we have been offensively. Once we start putting the ball in the basket more consistently and have the opposing team take the ball out, we can set our defense more and actually improve that number.

IMO, out of our top-10, only Kyrie isn’t a plus defender (for the many of you that think Gordon isn’t right now, he will be).

I think we'll also be helped a lot by the change to offensive rebounds resetting the shot clock.  Every team will benefit from that defensively, but teams that go through rough stretches on the defensive glass like we do will be helped quite a bit by the offense needing to work faster.  It'll be interesting to see how it works out
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:55 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
Pretty remarkable when you consider that we're:

- Missing a key defensive player in Baynes
- Can communicate, rotate, and overall play significantly better in my opinion - Brown and Tatum especially
- Struggling to score the ball, which is actually really important defensive because it allows our half court defense to set.  We've had some stretches of bad transition defense this season, so scoring the ball will help with that

A lot to be optimistic about.  Now if we'd just make our open shots...

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It’s pretty good that we are holding opponents under 100 PPG where scoring seems to be way way up around the league.