Author Topic: Whether or not we win a title all comes down to JT and JB right?  (Read 19143 times)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The combination of drafting and team building by Ainge and Brad have helped the Celtics out together the best roster top to to bottom in the league.  Great offense, great defense.  Not a single soft spot defensively among any of the regulars.  This has made the celtics the favorite to win the title the past two years, yet there has been no joy to end the season.

The reason?  At the end of the day, super stars win championships.  Super stars BREAK the models and lift one team over another when it matters the most.  Curry did it to us two years ago and we watched Jokic do it last year.  Super stars make regular guys play above their heads.

Obviously brad needs to continue to tweak the roster to get a title but the pieces except for the very top are already there.  It won't happen unless the stars take us there.  And I know that threw JB in the title but it really comes down to JT.  He has to elevate his game to dominate every playoff series.  As for JB, he needs to become a great second option, which isn't the case right now. 

Re: Whether or not we win a title all comes down to JT and JB right?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 12:32:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think that take is too simple. There's a lot of other things that have to go right...JT's supporting cast in the top-8 players, HEALTH, better coaching, better team chemistry...

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I would say that we are not going to win a title unless Tatum and Brown both play well, but that alone does not assure anything.  A lot more than that has to go right.  Those may be the two most important things, but they are not the only things.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 01:02:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think that take is too simple. There's a lot of other things that have to go right...JT's supporting cast in the top-8 players, HEALTH, better coaching, better team chemistry...

I'd say health, coaching are two big things.

But alot starts with the top of the roster and trickles down. If Celtics play with the same lack of urgency in the playoffs next year that they did the last 2 they are playing with fire and ultimately will end up in the same spot.

And by lack of urgency I mean not taking teams seriously and coming out in these lulls like the other team is just going to lay down playing lazy defense and offense.  We've seen it too often. Treating the garden as an automatic win and having a below .500 playoff record there is pathetic.

It's commendable how they perform after a loss or can claw back from a 20pt deficit. But why we lose winnable games and get in those 20 pt deficits is what needs to be fixed.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Unfortunately, the difference between being a really good player and a superstar is too big a leap for some players. For the Celtics, Tatum is the only player on the team that has that potential. Once he reaches that cheat code level, I don't think we need to worry about coaching, not taking teams seriously, or winning at home in the playoffs anymore.

The first step Tatum needs to take, is to hate losing more than he may want to win. Come playoff time, stop being friendly with your opponents if the series is still ongoing.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
It's not all on them, but it's mostly on them.  White and KP and Williams and Brogdon and the rest will have roles to play.  But JT and JB have to be the guys. 

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I generally don’t agree with this post, but I specifically think that the exclusion of Porzingis from Tatum and Brown’s importance is a mistake.  Porzingis has the ability to take over games, the same as Brown and Tatum.  The Celtics are the only team to have three current players with multiple 40-point games last season.  KP has been less reliable historically, especially health wise, but his ability is much closer to that of Tatum and Brown than it is of White, Brogdon, etc.  He can be completely unguardable in the way that changes games and series.  A healthy Porzingis is an All-Star for the C’s this year, and possibly All-NBA.  He just turned 28 last week, and is ready to have the best season of his career.  Such a huge pickup by Brad.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 02:31:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I generally don’t agree with this post, but I specifically think that the exclusion of Porzingis from Tatum and Brown’s importance is a mistake.  Porzingis has the ability to take over games, the same as Brown and Tatum.  The Celtics are the only team to have three current players with multiple 40-point games last season.  KP has been less reliable historically, especially health wise, but his ability is much closer to that of Tatum and Brown than it is of White, Brogdon, etc.  He can be completely unguardable in the way that changes games and series.  A healthy Porzingis is an All-Star for the C’s this year, and possibly All-NBA.  He just turned 28 last week, and is ready to have the best season of his career.  Such a huge pickup by Brad.

I agree regarding Porzingis.  Last season, Sabonis was 3rd team all nba Center and Randle 3rd team forward.  Lauri Markkanen just missed it.  I think Porzingis is easily as good as any of these 3, although admittedly not as durable.  As the number 3 on the team, his minutes can be managed.  I think Porzingis right now is more durable than Davis or Embiid, just for perspective.  I think Davis and Embiid are both better than Porzingis but we also don't need as much from him.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It could come down to how much rope management gives coach Mazzula.

The Ime incident is what it is but IMO we’re making a bad situation worse by trying to break in a young inexperienced coach while in the middle of title contention.  I’m worried that by the time management realizes their mistake and wants to fix it, we might start having some disgruntled stars that want a fresh start somewhere else.
Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 03:12:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is all going to come down to two things:

1.  Performing when it matters.   If your a title team you overcome adversity and prevail to win.
2. Staying healthy.   This is even more important I think given our personnel.

This is on the whole team and organization as I see it.   There will be tons of blame to go around if they fail.

here is is extra pressure on  JT and JB because they are stars and that is who you rely to get you past the tough times, though.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
C's were actually healthy until ECF when Brogdon went down and Tatum ankle. They ought to learn how to close out a series faster rather than extending it.

That means playing at an exceptional record at home. Why is the team sub .500 at home in the playoffs with practically home court advantage throughout the East.

Health is important, but good coaching is another...and instilling a killer mindset is another.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 03:44:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

The Ime incident is what it is but IMO we’re making a bad situation worse by trying to break in a young inexperienced coach while in the middle of title contention.  I’m worried that by the time management realizes their mistake and wants to fix it, we might start having some disgruntled stars that want a fresh start somewhere else.

I'm worried about JT on that aspect if C's keep falling short. By that time, maybe it's time for new management.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 03:50:54 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I'm worried about JT on that aspect if C's keep falling short. By that time, maybe it's time for new management.

Yeah Tatum is the one I would see doing it too.

We all take a lot of enjoyment seeing the 76ers fail year after year and Embiid has already hinted at a change of scenery.  I think if things don’t work out with Nurse this year and next, he’s going to ask for a trade.  I could see Tatum doing the exact same thing.  If we can’t get back to the finals this year or next, I can see him wanting out.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 03:55:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Unfortunately, the difference between being a really good player and a superstar is too big a leap for some players. For the Celtics, Tatum is the only player on the team that has that potential. Once he reaches that cheat code level, I don't think we need to worry about coaching, not taking teams seriously, or winning at home in the playoffs anymore.

The first step Tatum needs to take, is to hate losing more than he may want to win. Come playoff time, stop being friendly with your opponents if the series is still ongoing.

I think that Brown has that potential, as does Porzingis. Brown has been stuck behind Tatum, and Porzingis has been hurt. That being said, Brown got his shots last year and was a top 10 scorer in the league, and Porzingis had his best year as a pro. He shot 38.5% from 3, and he's 7'3. All three players can make an All NBA team. Two of them were nationally voted as top 10 players last year, and Tatum was a top 5 player.

The best part- they are 25, 26, and 28 years old. Yes, they have gotten far in the playoffs without a ring. This is the best young core in the NBA and should have multiple more shots at a title.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Health is the biggest concern. Always is.

Beyond that, I’m expecting us to have a more multifaceted offense and a slight regression on the defensive side of the ball, mostly because I have a nagging voice in my head whispering that Rob’s best years might be behind him and I don’t think Smart’s value, even after a down year, has been replaced.

Happy to be talked off the ledge though, if anyone wants to have a go at my bad opinions :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.