Author Topic: Brown’s Not Going Anywhere (Soon)  (Read 1091 times)

Brown’s Not Going Anywhere (Soon)
« on: July 31, 2023, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Obviously just my opinion but after signing Jaylen Brown to a super-max contract, I can’t see how the Celtics trade Brown any time soon.

If things don’t go to plan this up coming season, I see multiple different directions the Celtics can go before even considering moving Brown.

Keeping Tatum happy has to be a priority until he signs his super-max deal, and trading away Brown for anyone but a superstar would cause problems.

The first major issue is the sheer cost of Brown’s contract & finding a team willing to trade a better player than Brown, and that matches his level of salary.

If a team is moving on from their superstar the most likely outcome would be a full scale rebuild. Would a tanking team want a 27 + year old Jaylen Brown on such a huge wage? And in turn would Brown accept going to tanking team?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:49:49 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Brown’s Not Going Anywhere (Soon)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 02:42:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Accounting for the fact that Brown can’t be traded for a year in any case, if they decided to move on from him a year after signing the super max it’s probably an admission that this current core has failed and Tatum will be next out the door. Not that they can’t trade him, I’m sure they will get lots of takers, but finding the right fit is always a challenge. It’s not as easy as trading someone in NBA2k and the player fits in perfect because an omnipotent player is controlling everyone on the team. But talking about potential trades and playing GM is the lifeblood of a forum like this  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 08:27:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The Celtics may reach a point where they need to look at breaking things up, if for no other reason than the new CBA and these second apron penalties.  But they are fine for this coming season (2023-24) and even for the following season (2024-25).  This has been hashed out in other threads.  Brown goes up in 2024-25 but the cap and all the aprons will also go up.  Then Tatum goes up in 2025-26.  2025-26 is also the season that White, Brogdon, and Horford all become UFA.  That is when the Celtics are likely to make major decisions on the roster.  I am sure they will assess how the core did and what they need to change moving forward.  But this won't be just about Brown.

This is too far in the future for me to start worrying about now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 09:50:25 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 09:19:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Shouldn’t we offer him another extension next year to get ahead of the game.

;D