Author Topic: Grant Williams: Ime was my favorite Celtics coach  (Read 5276 times)

Re: Grant Williams: Ime was my favorite Celtics coach
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2023, 08:09:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Ime wasn't fired. He was suspended and then got another job.  I can't get over the longing for a guy who cost us a championship.

tp

First, Ime was fired.  I'm not sure what difference it makes, but saying he wasn't is just wrong.

Moreover, I don't think there's a single fan longing for Ime, in particular.  A lot of us simply want a coach as good or better than Ime.  That's not Joe.

I think comparing Joe and Ime first seasons is unfair. Ime had a full offseason to prepare with his staff. Joe had a week, a left over staff and a p---ed off and confused team. This season is where we find out if Joe is better than Ime.

Very well said. TP.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2023, 05:43:40 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Meh, if Ime keeps his personal life in check, we keep the coaching trio together, and we probably make it to the finals and lose. Again. That’s not worth dwelling on but it’s not unrealistic.

So Udoka is worth at least 1 win in the postseason. That’s not nothing, but it’s not all that much either. I have very little confidence he’ll be of much merit in Houston.

in the end its on Ime. fans can blame the celtics organization for firing him and potentially "costing us a chip"  but you know he could've just not gone after married co-workers who are his subordinates. Just because it happens from scumbag politicians/some companies doesn't mean everyone should just accept it. From a business perspective. imagine if they told the woman "well we are keeping Ime on, go back to work for him" thats a lawsuit waiting to happen and bad optics in the #metoo era.

I feel like alot of fans have some idealized view of Ime's time here that i'm not sure its too based in reality. A case could be made if Tatum doesn't sprain his ankle we end up in the same place. a finals loss.

people easily forget that the same issues that pushed the sixers series to 7 games and going down 0-3 to Miami. were right there last year as well. these weren't new issues that popped up with Joe.

Our offense was horrendous that playoffs and we followed up EVERY win with basically a blowout loss. I remember, i had to turn off half the games because we were down 20 points almost every other game. Took heroics from tatum to force a game 7 against milwaukee. and the Miami series NEVER should've gone 7 games. and we nearly blew that.

finally our issues caught up to us just being this unserious team against golden state and we lost in 6 games.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2023, 07:40:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I know Grant was a good interview but I wish the local reporters would quit covering him as he is a Maverick.

Almost every time you google Celtics for news you get a Grant Williams story and that is utter nonsense.

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2023, 11:29:00 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Meh, if Ime keeps his personal life in check, we keep the coaching trio together, and we probably make it to the finals and lose. Again. That’s not worth dwelling on but it’s not unrealistic.

So Udoka is worth at least 1 win in the postseason. That’s not nothing, but it’s not all that much either. I have very little confidence he’ll be of much merit in Houston.

Completely agree.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2023, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ime wasn't fired. He was suspended and then got another job.  I can't get over the longing for a guy who cost us a championship.

tp

First, Ime was fired.  I'm not sure what difference it makes, but saying he wasn't is just wrong.

Moreover, I don't think there's a single fan longing for Ime, in particular.  A lot of us simply want a coach as good or better than Ime.  That's not Joe.

I think comparing Joe and Ime first seasons is unfair. Ime had a full offseason to prepare with his staff. Joe had a week, a left over staff and a p---ed off and confused team. This season is where we find out if Joe is better than Ime.

At the same time, Ime built up a .500 team; Joe was given a team coming off a Finals run that also added the 6MOY.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2023, 03:23:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Joe got rightfully criticized last year. Yes, he didn't have an offseason, and yes, there was too much drama regarding Ime. I think its plausible that Grant Williams wasn't the most professional player, and I think Marcus Smart had moments of undermining the new coach. None of that set him up for success.

That being said, I have real concerns about Joe's ability to get this defense back on track.

I'm willing to give Joe another shot. If things continue like they did prior to the comeback against the Heat, then he should be fired. Ignoring the comeback all together would be a mistake too. This isn't a black/white problem. The team did look good during certain stretches.

By rebalancing the squad and letting some of the malcontents head out, Brad has given Joe a better shot at success.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

tp

At the same time, Ime built up a .500 team; Joe was given a team coming off a Finals run that also added the 6MOY.

Addition of Al Horford and Derrick White and subtraction of Kemba Walker didn't hurt that .500 team.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2023, 03:30:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

tp

It feels like you're giving Ime a lot of credit.

They were 36-36 the year before because they underperformed and didn't have a front court. Brad brought back Al Horford and Rob Williams went from 20min a game to 30 min a game under Udoka. The Celtics weren't even that good for the first part of the season. They were downright hot in the second half of the season, but sputtered in the Finals.

I like this current squad more than any of the prior versions of the team. They are balanced and 8 deep. They can always look for their 9th and 10th player during the season.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2023, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

tp

I don't think fans can know what was going on in the locker room last season.  It all seemed fine all season, if there were issues, they were keeping them in, but then in the playoffs and since, things have been leaking out.  You have to accept that this may not have been a fair test for Mazzulla.  There may have been forces against him, assistant coaches and player attitudes.  No excuses this season though.  If they don't play defense and don't execute on offense, it will be fully on Mazzulla.

I honestly have no idea to what extent "issues" may have been a factor, but at best, it was a difficult situation for a young, in-coming coach.  And I guess for the players too.  I also don't really buy into the theory that Smart and Grant were traded because they were the main source of the "bad forces" against Mazzulla.  Smart was only traded after a trade of Brogdon fell through and Grant was sent out because in the end, he didn't want to be here and the Celtics didn't want to pay a guy that is not that good anyway and didn't want to be here, that much money.

I still have my questions about Mazzulla.  I thought the offensive scheme was primitive.  The team did sleep walk through games.  I question some of the playing time decisions, especially in the playoffs.  But I feel he deserves the benefit of the doubt for last season for the reasons described above, plus, in the end, the result was not all that bad.  The Celtics may need a relatively quick hook (to steal a baseball cliché).  Have a Plan B quietly in mind, keep track of available options, if needed.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2023, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

tp

I don't think fans can know what was going on in the locker room last season.  It all seemed fine all season, if there were issues, they were keeping them in, but then in the playoffs and since, things have been leaking out.  You have to accept that this may not have been a fair test for Mazzulla.  There may have been forces against him, assistant coaches and player attitudes.  No excuses this season though.  If they don't play defense and don't execute on offense, it will be fully on Mazzulla.

I honestly have no idea to what extent "issues" may have been a factor, but at best, it was a difficult situation for a young, in-coming coach.  And I guess for the players too.  I also don't really buy into the theory that Smart and Grant were traded because they were the main source of the "bad forces" against Mazzulla.  Smart was only traded after a trade of Brogdon fell through and Grant was sent out because in the end, he didn't want to be here and the Celtics didn't want to pay a guy that is not that good anyway and didn't want to be here, that much money.

I still have my questions about Mazzulla.  I thought the offensive scheme was primitive.  The team did sleep walk through games.  I question some of the playing time decisions, especially in the playoffs.  But I feel he deserves the benefit of the doubt for last season for the reasons described above, plus, in the end, the result was not all that bad.  The Celtics may need a relatively quick hook (to steal a baseball cliché).  Have a Plan B quietly in mind, keep track of available options, if needed.

My sauces say otherwise. Marcus was getting traded regardless of the Brogdon move.
ok fine

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2023, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

tp

My sauces say otherwise. Marcus was getting traded regardless of the Brogdon move.

OK, well I have no sauces other than what I read in the news but why go through all of that with Brogdon to LAC if all along you plan to trade Smart?  It doesn't make any sense.  I am not sure I believe that if the Brogdon/LAC trade did go through that they do still trade Smart.

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2023, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

tp

OK, well I have no sauces other than what I read in the news but why go through all of that with Brogdon to LAC if all along you plan to trade Smart?  It doesn't make any sense.  I am not sure I believe that if the Brogdon/LAC trade did go through that they do still trade Smart.

I guess in that scenario we end up with Tyus Jones and more money in Wyc's pocket?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

tp

It feels like you're giving Ime a lot of credit.

They were 36-36 the year before because they underperformed and didn't have a front court. Brad brought back Al Horford and Rob Williams went from 20min a game to 30 min a game under Udoka. The Celtics weren't even that good for the first part of the season. They were downright hot in the second half of the season, but sputtered in the Finals.

I like this current squad more than any of the prior versions of the team. They are balanced and 8 deep. They can always look for their 9th and 10th player during the season.

A .500 team that made it to the ECF the year before the 36-36 Season. Sure, they needed a new voice, but that core was already having success before Ime arrived.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.