Author Topic: Grant Williams: Ime was my favorite Celtics coach  (Read 5277 times)

Grant Williams: Ime was my favorite Celtics coach
« on: July 28, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Grant Williams names Ime Udoka as best coach he's played for

Clutch Points: “I thought he was the best of both worlds… [He] has a grit to him that allowed him to relate to players in a personal level… Ime [Udoka] is probably the best one I’ve played for.” Grant Williams on his favorite Celtics coach (via @OldManAndThree)

That reminds me of:

Quote from: Jayson Tatum
I love Coach K. I love Brad. I love Joe. I love all those guys but just a different kind of a relationship I had with Ime. Probably like my most favorite coach I've had and that's not a knock on anybody.

It's interesting that both Celtics who have played under Brad, Ime and Joe preferred Ime.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Grant Williams: Ime was my favorite Celtics coach
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 03:18:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think Udoka had a unique cred/aura.  To me he had kind of an Uncle Phil/John Thompson presence the way he seemed to carry himself, despite not being that big (compared to NBA players at least), he just felt like an imposing presence.

Then there's his resume, not highly recruited, did the JuCo route and low-level D1 schools,  As a pro, bounced around the minor and international leagues before finding carving out his spot in the NBA. He knows what it takes to grind and earn your spot.  This can appeal to the non-star players. 

But also played with and against Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, LeBron, Durant, Wade, etc.  This can help appeal to the star players.

And then coaching.  Coached under Pop, and coached Duncan, Kawhi, Embiid, Durant and knocked out LeBron and Wade's super team as an assistant.

Sure a lot of coaches have similar resumes (Kerr, Ham, Willie Green, Ty Lue, etc.), but they don't have that same imposing presence, IMO.

There's also the legend of him single-handedly beating up an entire team by himself. as well as being tied down to a well known TV/movie star, that helps his cred too.

One thing that stood out to me is the the time Smart injured Curry.  Steve Kerr is having a fit blaming Smart.  Ime stone cold says Smart did nothing wrong.  If I was a player, hearing Ime have my back like that would comfort me.  Brad Stevens, Joe Mazzulla, Nick Nurse, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Darvin Ham, Willie Green, etc. could all say the same thing, but it wouldn't feel the same, they just don't have that same "authoritative" presence that Udoka had.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Grant Williams names Ime Udoka as best coach he's played for

Clutch Points: “I thought he was the best of both worlds… [He] has a grit to him that allowed him to relate to players in a personal level… Ime [Udoka] is probably the best one I’ve played for.” Grant Williams on his favorite Celtics coach (via @OldManAndThree)

That reminds me of:

Quote from: Jayson Tatum
I love Coach K. I love Brad. I love Joe. I love all those guys but just a different kind of a relationship I had with Ime. Probably like my most favorite coach I've had and that's not a knock on anybody.

It's interesting that both Celtics who have played under Brad, Ime and Joe preferred Ime.

That doesn’t surprise me.

I’ve always thought that elite motivators & communicators win championships as head coaches, and elite strategists are their assistants.

The best example being Phil Jackson & Tex Winter.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 04:34:39 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I hear he was in good with ladies too  :P

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I keep hearing Media types saying things like: Joe is learning, he'll get better....C's don't have time to wait around for their Coach to get to Championship level, we're just wasting the prime "Championship" Years of our players careers. Dumb.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 03:50:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I keep hearing Media types saying things like: Joe is learning, he'll get better....C's don't have time to wait around for their Coach to get to Championship level, we're just wasting the prime "Championship" Years of our players careers. Dumb.

I am definitely not a huge fan of Joe and would have been totally fine if we moved on from him this offseason, but I do think our players will stop having a hissy fit about him being coach and properly listen to him and our now experienced coaching staff. The players seemingly never got over Ime being fired last season and the coaching staff even seemed miffed at Joe's hire.

I doubt Joe is this savant-like coach like Brad was, but I am confident everybody will at least be on the same page this season.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 04:05:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Ime let everyone down and probably cost us a title.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 04:12:53 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Yep.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 04:14:20 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810

I'm 100% with you on this Liam.  I am sick and tired of Ime was the best.  The guy screwed us big time and doesn't deserve our time and energy. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 04:31:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The front office let us down just as much by not filling out the coaching staff in a competent manner. And, when it was clear that Joe didn't have control of the team, he should have been replaced by a veteran coach.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

The front office let us down just as much by not filling out the coaching staff in a competent manner. And, when it was clear that Joe didn't have control of the team, he should have been replaced by a veteran coach.

Well said
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

Was it him or our front office? his "crime" was not something any other player or coach has ever been thrown out of town for. I think rumor had it that he slept with one of the ownership groups wives? Maybe that is why. But even though I personally did not love him (didn't dislike him either, just had no opinion), I never understood why our team is the moral police? Must be something about what he did that we don't know.. just does not make sense.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 07:51:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

Was it him or our front office? his "crime" was not something any other player or coach has ever been thrown out of town for. I think rumor had it that he slept with one of the ownership groups wives? Maybe that is why. But even though I personally did not love him (didn't dislike him either, just had no opinion), I never understood why our team is the moral police? Must be something about what he did that we don't know.. just does not make sense.

Well, we were never told of the transgressions so I’m not sure that’s accurate.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 08:13:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

I'm 100% with you on this Liam.  I am sick and tired of Ime was the best.  The guy screwed us big time and doesn't deserve our time and energy.

Yeah, he totally did.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 09:32:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Yeah. It's a shame because it does seem like he's a really good coach. Whatever he did to get himself fired really screwed everything up for last year. It's a shame.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008