Author Topic: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension  (Read 16795 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This really feels like a death sentence.
Just waiting in line for the execution.

We're going to regret this so much.
Other fans laughing at the Celtics for this insane contract.

Is this a copy and paste from 2019? I swear I read the same thing 1000 times when he signed his first extension

Well, we are still waiting on a title.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2023, 02:28:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2023, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
This is good news and really the only option the Celtics had. Just stalemating him or trying to lowballing him would have really set back our franchise. The guy made second all nba last season and some people act like he is Derrick white.

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2023, 02:31:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

This seems like overkill. They literally just extended a guy who made all nba second team. Yeah, it’s a lot of money but it is what it is. If they win a ring or two during that time I don’t think anyone will care. Same fans mocked Ainge for his first contract extension saying it was too much too and JB ended up being underpaid by the end of it.

Any fans laughing at us for signing jaylen brown are gonna really hate what their front offices do or their own roster. What a joke

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2023, 03:33:48 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Hopefully he and that albatross of a contract is traded within the next year

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

From what I’ve seen, people on NBA Reddit generally understand that the deal needed to be done and even said they would take him on that salary. Very few people are laughing at us for this.

You can think it’s a rough contract, but still think he is a valuable, two way star entering his prime.

Was the Bradley Beal deal looked at with derision at the time?  That one seemed crazy!

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2023, 04:49:15 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I’m in the camp of this is a bad contract that we shouldn’t have offered. That’s just way too much for a secondary star. That money should go to the very elite, and Jaylen just isn’t that.

He’s a good player but he’s basically unmovable from here on out.

I hope Porzingis is the missing piece because this is our shot. Horford is going to be aging out of playing time, who knows what will happen with Derrick White and Robert Williams’ next deals, Brogdon probably won’t be here beyond next year (if not sooner). It’s basically all on the Jays now and the foreseeable future.

He just made the All NBA second team. I believe that means he’s part of the, “very elite”.

A very good player can make an All NBA Team once, as better players sometimes won't qualify because of games played. However, the "very elite", make All NBA teams multiple times. Sometimes in life, it's all about timing. For Jaylen,  making his first All NBA Team couldn't have happened at a more opportune time. I have my doubts that he'll ever make another All NBA team.

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2023, 04:52:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
2 high level super stars in their prime or about to enter their prime plus one high level star  who  had best season as they entered their prime.

Big 3 and we are all in.

Go Celtics

2 titles next 4 years

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2023, 05:28:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Glad it is done, now sign some vets

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2023, 05:55:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

From what I’ve seen, people on NBA Reddit generally understand that the deal needed to be done and even said they would take him on that salary. Very few people are laughing at us for this.

You can think it’s a rough contract, but still think he is a valuable, two way star entering his prime.

Was the Bradley Beal deal looked at with derision at the time?  That one seemed crazy!

People were freaking out more about the NTC than the money. We're lucky that wasn't even an option here.

In our case, Jaylen is healthier, plays a more premium position, is a better defender, has been a part of more team success, and is younger. Even with Beal's situation, he was still able to be traded. I would hope that we could do better than WAS, but this isn't going to be some albatross of a contract that nobody wants. Pretty much every team in the NBA would love to add Jaylen.

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2023, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Hopefully he and that albatross of a contract is traded within the next year

Might want to adjust your expectations because Brown can’t be traded for a year from the signing date.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2023, 06:00:57 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
****!
Good luck green teamers

The definition of a Star player has really changed over the years, I wonder what the great Air Jordan, Larry Bird or Jerry West would be worth?

I was all for letting Brown play out the Deal, 1 year with Porzingas. If they didn’t win a Title, let ‘em walk and start the rebuild or take the $$ cap savings and find another Player..

Good luck!

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2023, 06:33:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not like we really had a choice. If we didn't extend him, his value would be diminished in a trade because teams would know that us keeping him wasn't an option. Now we put trade rumours to bed for a while (at least for JB).

I am not his biggest fan, but I'm nonetheless excited about our new big 3. Keen to see what they can do
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2023, 06:34:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
****!
Good luck green teamers

The definition of a Star player has really changed over the years, I wonder what the great Air Jordan, Larry Bird or Jerry West would be worth?

I was all for letting Brown play out the Deal, 1 year with Porzingas. If they didn’t win a Title, let ‘em walk and start the rebuild or take the $$ cap savings and find another Player..

Good luck!

One of the problems is that if JB walked, there's no practical way to "take the cap savings and find another player".  In all likelihood, you end up replacing a departing max free agent with a $12 million player.

Also, JB is a star.  He's certainly All-Star worthy.  He's not an MVP candidate, but he's around the top 5% of all NBA players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2023, 07:15:28 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
****!
Good luck green teamers

Good luck!

One of the problems is that if JB walked, there's no practical way to "take the cap savings and find another player".  In all likelihood, you end up replacing a departing max free agent with a $12 million player.

Also, JB is a star.  He's certainly All-Star worthy.  He's not an MVP candidate, but he's around the top 5% of all NBA players.
I am Not even sure What Good Luck even Means? It's Not your money! Teams who want to win a chip are going to have to Pay Up!! That's just the way the NBA is Now. KP is a bargain if he stays healthy!!! JB is now maxed, but he is a Celtic!!! Thank Goodness!! Who do you plan on replacing him with??
It is a good thing!!!! JB is Not Cheap, but he is a Celtic!!!! JT is Next, the good news is this says that the Celtics are willing to Pay to Play!! How can anyone be upset?? It' Not your Money! He is staying!!! With the huge Salaries we will be carrying, Ownership is going to want a CHIP!! WE Are the Winners!!!!! we hopefully will get a Chip and guess what, we don't have to pay for it, sign me up!!!
I must add, I am Not saying he deserves to be the NBA's highest paid player, But that is the timing of it. I am sure he won't be for long. But again, the only way to make it worth it is to build a Championship Team, Let's Goooooo!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:28:33 PM by lbgreen33 »