Author Topic: Who should we get with the MLE?  (Read 6215 times)

Re: Who should we get with the MLE?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2023, 09:38:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am not sure they are going to use the MLE, or the portion of it we can use.  If we do, we end up hard capped.  Depending on the player we are able to get, it may not be worth it.

As to priorities, a bench PF is now our biggest need in my mind.  A bench wing is probably the second need.  OKC has 18 players on the roster.  Maybe we can get a useful PF with the TPE from them, or something like that.  Then use vet min contracts to round out the bench.  That is probably a better path than getting hard capped. 

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2023, 09:41:55 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am not sure they are going to use the MLE, or the portion of it we can use.  If we do, we end up hard capped.  Depending on the player we are able to get, it may not be worth it.

As to priorities, a bench PF is now our biggest need in my mind.  A bench wing is probably the second need.  OKC has 18 players on the roster.  Maybe we can get a useful PF with the TPE from them, or something like that.  Then use vet min contracts to round out the bench.  That is probably a better path than getting hard capped.

I think that is the correct approach now.   What skills/fits do the Celtics need?

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2023, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can someone explain to me the whole 1st apron/2nd apron ramifications?  I was under the impression that the penalties associated with the 2nd apron didn’t take effect until after next season, but Brad’s moves seem to be in order to avoid that 2nd apron.  What does that do in terms of restricting the current moves they can make?

The basics:

1.  If we use the MLE at all, we can't exceed the second apron;

2.  If we do exceed the second apron, it starts us onto a "repeater" clock.  We wouldn't be allowed to trade our 2030 first rounder, and if we exceeded the second apron in 3 out of 5 seasons, our 2030 #1 would be sent to the end of the first round

Those are the two new rules in effect this year.  Also, for teams that exceed the first apron, they can only take back 110% of what they send out in trade, compared to the traditional 125% + $100K.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Anyway, to answer the original question, the guy out there I'd like us to sign, and would be willing to offer more than the minimum, is Oubre.  He's flawed, but for around $4 million he'd easily be worth it.

Then I'd ideally fill the roster out with minimum guys like Green and Biyombo.

Was unaware he was still available. Grab him if we can at $4mm.  Good call.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2023, 09:58:54 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Chris forsberg pretty much alluded to that the roster is primarily set and Brad is looking more to trade deadline or even next season to use any of the picks or TPE. Didn’t sound like from him the Celtics would be adding much more. More of a they want to wait and see going forward.

I would not expect any other players being added other than the ones they might have on their summer roster to just fill it out.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:07:59 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »

Online smicker16

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
Anyway, to answer the original question, the guy out there I'd like us to sign, and would be willing to offer more than the minimum, is Oubre.  He's flawed, but for around $4 million he'd easily be worth it.

Then I'd ideally fill the roster out with minimum guys like Green and Biyombo.

Was unaware he was still available. Grab him if we can at $4mm.  Good call.

Yeah, Oubre would be great.  Sadly, see him preferring a team where he could get a lot more minutes.  Tough because his position is where our two best players are and generally the two most durable players are so there will not be as minutes for him as opposed to some other contenders.  Do not think he is yet at the stage where winning will be his top priority and think winning will be something he looks for, but also where he can have a large enough role.

I do think Green is someone that we could pull here as he likely has lower expectations for playing time.  Hopefully Brad wants him as well, but I have my doubts at this stage. 

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2023, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Can someone explain to me the whole 1st apron/2nd apron ramifications?  I was under the impression that the penalties associated with the 2nd apron didn’t take effect until after next season, but Brad’s moves seem to be in order to avoid that 2nd apron.  What does that do in terms of restricting the current moves they can make?

The basics:

2.  If we do exceed the second apron, it starts us onto a "repeater" clock.  We wouldn't be allowed to trade our 2030 first rounder, and if we exceeded the second apron in 3 out of 5 seasons, our 2030 #1 would be sent to the end of the first round

Those are the two new rules in effect this year.  Also, for teams that exceed the first apron, they can only take back 110% of what they send out in trade, compared to the traditional 125% + $100K.

What if we included the 2030 1st round pick in a trade before we exceed the 2nd apron, but afterward do.  Does the restriction apply to the 2031 first rouond pick?  How far out are we allowed to trade picks anyway?

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2023, 10:14:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The basics:

What if we included the 2030 1st round pick in a trade before we exceed the 2nd apron, but afterward do.  Does the restriction apply to the 2031 first rouond pick?  How far out are we allowed to trade picks anyway?

Seven years.

My guess is that if a team moves / encumbers its 2030 draft pick this season, they're be hard-capped at the apron.  I think the only teams that have traded their 2030 pick are Dallas and San Antonio, with the pick swap potential.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2023, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Kornet is sacred to Brad so he’s not getting moved. Celtics stand pat and go with what they have. No one else is brought in.

Going to get the old “I believe in Sam Hauser, Luke Kornet” speech we got last year.

Brogdan, PP, Hauser, Brissett and Al/Rob will be your bench.

Kornet, Davison, Walsh, Banton and champaigne get cheerleading duty in games.

Winning 50 games will be a tough task this season with this bench (especially if brogdan is healthy)
Absurdly negative string of posting from you. Just devoid of rationality. We’re going to be worse than last seasons Cavs? Are you actually serious?

First neither of us know what is going to happen. But I am concerned that Boston has several players that are injury prone thar one or two injuries really hurt this team because they don’t have depth to get through it.

If they are healthy they should win at least 55 games.

I will take the under right now just because we don’t know how hurt brogdan is. We don’t know how Joe will improve this season.

They are certainly a playoff team but last year showed us the season was an absolute slog.

I’m not negative. I still think this team wins the east if healthy. The regular season might not be a masterpiece though

Yeah, I agree. If they stay reasonably healthy, I have them up in the mid to high 50s win total wise.

But given how many injury prone players we have (Brogdon, Timelord, Porzingis) and old age Horford, it is certaintly possible that this team fails to achieve it's maximum and ends up closer to the low 50s due to lost games / games missed due to injury. How poor the end of the bench is when replacing those guys lost to injury will hurt the regular season W-L record.

And a bad set of injuries? Getting to 50 itself could prove difficult. May end up more as a 45-49 win team.

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2023, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The basics:

The second one is NOT in effect this year. That doesn't start until 24-25.

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The basics:

Link?  Everything I've read says that second apron teams can't trade their 2030 #1.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2023, 01:54:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

The basics:

Link?  Everything I've read says that second apron teams can't trade their 2030 #1.

You’re both right and wrong.  The pick restriction comes into effect based on where you end the season, only including bonuses actually paid.  The second apron cap (from using the MLE) includes all bonuses, and is in effect the entire season.  So the C’s could go over the limit now, but the draft pick penalty wouldn’t take effect unless they’re over it at the end of the year.

EDIT: I conflated two rules from my memory.  It's year 2, but it is based on an end of year calculation I think. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:02:32 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2023, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The basics:

https://imgix.cosmicjs.com/25da5eb0-15eb-11ee-b5b3-fbd321202bdf-Final-2023-NBA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-6-28-23.pdf

I would refer you to the CBA itself above, page 196-197 where its discusses the "draft pick penalties." It specifically says the draft pick penalty begins in the 24-25 cap year. For that league year it would apply to the pick in 2032, ie the farthest pick out that a team over the 2nd apron in 24-25 could not have yet traded.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:04:27 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2023, 01:59:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Chris forsberg pretty much alluded to that the roster is primarily set and Brad is looking more to trade deadline or even next season to use any of the picks or TPE. Didn’t sound like from him the Celtics would be adding much more. More of a they want to wait and see going forward.

I would not expect any other players being added other than the ones they might have on their summer roster to just fill it out.

When did Chris Forsberg become the patron saint Celtics insider?

Has he ever broken any kind of actual news about our roster at any point? I've always thought of him as a glorified fanboy with a little team access.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC

When did Chris Forsberg become the patron saint Celtics insider?

Has he ever broken any kind of actual news about our roster at any point? I've always thought of him as a glorified fanboy with a little team access.

This kind of confirms what he said:

"This [draft] capital will eventually serve as currency in a larger deal, with the Celtics well-positioned for a seismic strike, league sources said." (though unlikely to be soon) via
@AdamHimmelsbach
1:59 PM · Jul 6, 2023