Author Topic: Can the C's resign KP long term?  (Read 3657 times)

Can the C's resign KP long term?
« on: June 26, 2023, 11:46:04 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed - but I was wondering if there's any possibility the C's can realistically retain KP beyond next season?  Or was the trade really just for what is likely a one year rental?  I did realize at time of trade KP had to opt in which typically is the last year of a deal.  But it didn't quite sink in until later that it's a rental scenario.

Let's assume Brown gets his supermax - would we have any rights that allows us to go over the cap for KP and have to pay some luxury penalties?

In any case, I'm for the trade.  You know one of Brown/White/Smart/Brogdan had to go - there is just not enough minutes for all of them.  And unless there was some overwhelming offer you wouldn't expect it to be either of the first 2 guys on that list.

Re: Can the C's resign KP long term?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 11:50:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
The expectation is that the C’s and Porzingis are open to working out an extension with each other.  The question is whether they will come to an agreement or not.  He can get up to two years, $77 million, but that seems like an overpay to me .

I predict they get it done, for 2 years in the $60 million range.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 11:51:33 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
The Celtics will reportedly offer Kristaps Porziņģis a long-term contract extension in July upon the completion of a three-team trade sending the big man to Boston.

NBA insider Marc Stein reported an extension is the "expectation" between the two parties. A handshake agreement to discuss an extension was likely a condition of Porziņģis opting into his $36 million player option for the 2023-24 season

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The expectation is that the C’s and Porzingis are open to working out an extension with each other.  The question is whether they will come to an agreement or not.  He can get up to two years, $77 million, but that seems like an overpay to me .

I certainly hope it's in the range.  KP at $30 million would be quite reasonable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:07:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

60-65 over 2 years would be good to me. Gives us KP for 3 seasons. That’s a good window for several legit title campaigns with that big 3
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:19:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Watching with eyes wide open for now

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 02:23:14 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392
They can certainly re-sign him if they want. The question then becomes who else can they afford to re-sign as well. Assuming they want to stay below that second apron next season, because the penalties won't be just financial but will affect roster building and draft. Depending on what KP wants, having two supermax contracts and a third max one won't leave much left in the cookie jar. So a lot of it will be based on what KP is willing to take.

The Suns are clearly willing to take on not just the financial but also the roster building penalties with Beal. The question will be, will Brad and Wyc?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423
I am surprised Porzingis is willing to sign a 2 year deal. If I were him, I'd be trying to get as long term a deal as possible given his injury history. Far from a sure thing that he can get comparable 2yrs from now. Just coming off his career year, lock in that long term money now.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 10:41:10 AM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I am surprised Porzingis is willing to sign a 2 year deal. If I were him, I'd be trying to get as long term a deal as possible given his injury history. Far from a sure thing that he can get comparable 2yrs from now. Just coming off his career year, lock in that long term money now.
"Stein: Boston Celtics were Kristaps Porzingis' preferred team, threat of Jazz as FA destination sealed deal"

I really think he wants to be a Celtic. Like I said before if we sign our new big 3 long term, it should be fun for years to come! obviously, we pray they all stay healthy.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The longest we can sign him for this summer is 2 years. Given his injury history, it makes sense that he wants to lock in money now. Would probably different if he had an option for next season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 10:55:08 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
"Stein: Boston Celtics were Kristaps Porzingis' preferred team, threat of Jazz as FA destination sealed deal"

I really think he wants to be a Celtic. Like I said before if we sign our new big 3 long term, it should be fun for years to come! obviously, we pray they all stay healthy.

Hahaha we beat the Jazz in another big-named player sweepstakes again. Now, hopefully he remains healthy.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 12:01:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554
I think a 2 year extension as already been reported as highly likely. Which makes sense, hard to believe KP is opting in if he's not getting an extension. That would mean he's locked up for three years, his age 28, 29 and 30 seasons.

The interesting part is that's going to make it almost impossible to avoid the 2nd apron going forward. Maybe that means they plan on spending past it for the next few years until KP expires. Or maybe it means they will deal one of KP or Brown in a few years.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554

Its also possible he and his agent looked for a longer term deal and found that there wasn't going to be that kind of offer for him. Other teams know about his injury history, its not exactly a secret.

It could be that his best financial decision was opt in this year at 36, extend off that.

Or maybe a longer offer was available but on some junk team and KP decided he wanted a chance to win. He's made a fair amount of money in his career already.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 01:07:12 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 474
Hopefully the cap continues to go up at the rate that it has.  Under the new CBA the max the cap can increase per year is 10%.

2023 - 2024 = 136.021 and 165.294
2024 - 2025 = 149.623 and 181.823
2025 - 2026 = 164.59 and 200.005

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 01:11:06 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Hopefully the cap continues to go up at the rate that it has.  Under the new CBA the max the cap can increase per year is 10%.

2023 - 2024 = 136.021 and 165.294
2024 - 2025 = 149.623 and 181.823
2025 - 2026 = 164.59 and 200.005

I was really surprised the players agreed to limiting increases to 10% — I think it’ll go up by 10% every year of the CBA.