Author Topic: 2014-15 UEFA Champions League  (Read 54255 times)

Re: 2014-15 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Danny Welbeck just dropped a hat trick on Galatasaray.

Outside of a Szczcesny Red Card, this was a total trashing.

How about that, Mesut Ozil in the middle and it worked wonders for everybody...
Glad i wasn't watching that one, Madrid game was entertaining for sure.  Liverpool needs to get their ishh together

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Ozil`s performance is no surprise to anyone.... He needs to be in the middle to be productive.

The refs were awful both days !

In Malme and Manchester didn`t call two clear penalties for Olimpiacos and City (but i enjoyed both no calls !!) and Real got 2 penalties that only Perez and the ref saw....

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:37 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
In Malme and Manchester didn`t call two clear penalties for Olimpiacos and City (but i enjoyed both no calls !!) and Real got 2 penalties that only Perez and the ref saw....

I thought the first penalty was probably fair enough but the second one was a pathetic dive by Ronaldo.

I'm happy Chelsea got a win but really should've scored 2 or 3 goals.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:39 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Ozil`s performance is no surprise to anyone.... He needs to be in the middle to be productive.

The refs were awful both days !

Yes, he handled in the box to sweep the ball away so that's an automatic red and a penalty kick.  Except it didn't work out that way.  Oh well, I'm still annoyed that Pellegrini played two up top against Roma, even at home.  As far as I am concerned, against squads like Bayern and Roma you play one up top, home and away, in the CL.  Another blunder by Kompany, a great defender who has unfortunately become a bit gaffe-prone.

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I m not sure about the red card .. he didn`t handball on purpose but it was definately a penalty.

Since the WC the officiating has been "strange"

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
What a beautiful header from Benzema! 2-0 Real Madrid over Liverpool

Lovely 1-2 by Ronaldo and James Rodriguez for first goal. Picture perfect pass.

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Chelsea cruising, up 3-0 away against Schalke. Should top the group comfortably.

Man City take the lead on a penalty + red card then concede 2 goals just before half time to trail 2-1!

UPDATE: Chelsea take it 5-0. Schalke were ridiculously bad.

Where would Man City be without Aguero? Superb hat-trick gives them a 3-2 win.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:51:33 PM by Adelaide Celt »
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chelsea cruising, up 3-0 away against Schalke. Should top the group comfortably.

Man City take the lead on a penalty + red card then concede 2 goals just before half time to trail 2-1!

Not to take away an amazing showing from Kun Aguero, but that was more about Bayern not playing well than Aguero taking over.

All those goals were a result of being careless with the football, the penalty in the first half is probably the only one in which I think was created by him. The other two was just careless passing and handling and they took advantage.

But yes, that was an impressive showing nonetheless.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
This is it for Liverpool and Arsenal. Can they get their acts together?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Not to take away an amazing showing from Kun Aguero, but that was more about Bayern not playing well than Aguero taking over.

All those goals were a result of being careless with the football, the penalty in the first half is probably the only one in which I think was created by him. The other two was just careless passing and handling and they took advantage.

But yes, that was an impressive showing nonetheless.

As a City diehard, you're incorrect in asserting that two of the City goals were down to carelessness on Bayern's behalf.  In fact, all three goals were due to that, as Benatia's foul on Kun in the box was the result of an exceedingly careless decision.  ;)  Nevertheless, Kun pounced on those two opportunities in the second half the same way a stalking tiger pounces upon an unsuspecting ungulate...

Sure is nice to defeat Bayern for the second season in a row, especially after all the smack talk that Hoeness, Rumenigge, Beckenbauer, et al. have directed at us over the years. By the way, I wonder if Uli viewed the match in his prison cell?

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
All of Germany's clubs through to the last 16, Liverpool have to settle for the Europa League, and I'm just waiting to see who'll be drawn with the task of knocking out the Arsenal, sparking their annual February collapse.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Chelsea vs PSG
Barcelona vs Manchester City
Atletico Madrid vs Bayer Leverkusen
Borussia Dortmund vs Juventus
Real Madrid vs Schalke
Bayern Munich vs Shakhtar Donetsk
Monaco vs Arsenal
FC Porto vs FC Basel

Brutal draw for Chelsea and Man City.

The PSG vs Chelsea tie is a toss up. Two top sides. Genuine contenders to win the tournament. Mourinho's out-coached Blanc last time around and I'd give Chelsea slight edge because of the two team's coaches rather than squad's overall talent which I think are comparable. I expect Barca to beat Man City. City lack organization in middle of the park. They will be exposed by top midfields of Europe which Barcelona has.

Arsenal are very lucky to get Monaco. The weakest #1 seed in the pool. Monaco have been very good defensively but Arsenal have enough firepower to find their way through to the quarter finals.

Dortmund and Juventus will be a very interesting matchup. I really like this Juve team but they repeatedly disappoint in Europe. Dortmund have done very well in Europe in recent years and should take care of business here. I am pulling for Juve though.

Atletico Madrid, Bayern, Real Madrid and Porto should win their matchups comfortably.

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Chelsea vs PSG
Real Madrid vs Schalke
Monaco vs Arsenal
FC Porto vs FC Basel

The PSG vs Chelsea tie is a toss up. Two top sides. Genuine contenders to win the tournament. Mourinho's out-coached Blanc last time around and I'd give Chelsea slight edge because of the two team's coaches rather than squad's overall talent which I think are comparable. I expect Barca to beat Man City. City lack organization in middle of the park. They will be exposed by top midfields of Europe which Barcelona has.

Arsenal are very lucky to get Monaco. The weakest #1 seed in the pool. Monaco have been very good defensively but Arsenal have enough firepower to find their way through to the quarter finals.

Dortmund and Juventus will be a very interesting matchup. I really like this Juve team but they repeatedly disappoint in Europe. Dortmund have done very well in Europe in recent years and should take care of business here. I am pulling for Juve though.

Atletico Madrid, Bayern, Real Madrid and Porto should win their matchups comfortably.

I was up at 0300 hrs to view the draw live.  Barca again?!  Must be groundhog day - first we draw Bayern and CSKA in the group stage for a second consecutive season, and then Barca in the Round of 16.  We've played them 5 times in recent years, so these two squads hold no surprises for each other.  I think City can win because we are much better organized in central midfield and defense in recent matches.  I am sure that Pellegrini will deploy two holding mids in front of the back four (Fernando and Fernandinho) and play one up top.  Should be a terrific tie, great football on display for neutrals. 

Chelsea vs. PSG is a great match-up, but I agree that Maureen is likely to outfox Blanc, just like last season...

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chelsea vs PSG
Real Madrid vs Schalke
Monaco vs Arsenal
FC Porto vs FC Basel

Indeed. Not that Monaco is a pushover, but getting them compare to Real Madrid or Barcelona is a much easier task.

Chelseas and PSG should be fun. I like the David Luis story of that matchup.

I disagree with Porto though, I've seen a few games of Basel in that Real Madrid group and I think they're defensively legit.

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Anyone tuned in?

I wager a TP bet that PSG will win this match.