Author Topic: 2010 FIFA World Cup  (Read 179354 times)

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The teams that really have a chance are: Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Italy, England and Holland.

And Denmark.

;D

Here ya go, Bud. ;)

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 01:32:45 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

That is why we were in the finals of the Confederations Cup and beat Spain in the semis.  We may not have all the kids in our country growing up to be soccer players, but we do have the best athletes in our country and as long as we have some dreaming to be soccer players we definitely can be contenders.

The US beat Spain in a game Spain outshot the US 29-9, but the US just happened to have a great keeper playing out of his mind. That sort of thing may happen in a short tournament like the confederations cup, where you only have a first round, semifinal, and final. But that rarely happens in world cups.

And while nice for US confidence, the confederations cup doesn't mean much. Australia was a runner up in 97. Mexico won it in 99. Japan was a runner up in 2001. Cameroon was a runner up in 03. Would you say any of those nations are contenders? Or will be contenders for years to come?

Now, regarding the future of US soccer: it is somewhat bleak, given that there really is no one at the same level to replace the Beasley/Donovan/Howard/Johnson generation. The Beasley/Donovan/Howard/Johnson generation finished 4th in the 99 u17 world cup, reached the quarter finals before losing to Argentina in the 03 u20 world cup, and finished 4th in the 2000 olympics (olympic soccer is u23). Since then, the US youth teams have only made it out of the round of 16 once, in 07.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:25 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
[quote author=misha link=topic=37055.msg737629#msg737629
Some is not enough. The teams that really have a chance are: Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Italy, England and Holland. They proved it time after time and soccer there is in the highest priority. US team is far from being on that level. Right now you don't have even one player in a top european team. You belong to the level below with teams like Croatia, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Serbia. Sure you can make a surprise like reaching the 1/4 in 2002 but in order to take US seriously like Germany or Italy - a lot have to change. That's why in 2006 WC when US finished last in a group with Italy, Ghana and Czech Republic it wasn't a surprise.

Confederations Cup means nothing and players don't take is seriously.
[/quote]

Oguchi Onyewu plays for AC Milan.  Also regardless of where Tim Howard plays, he's one of the top goalies in the world right now.  USA may not have a chance to win it all, but they do have a chance to make some serious noise in the cup.  I also guarantee that after the World Cup, you'll see Clint Dempsey getting offers from some big time teams, you'll see Michael Bradley getting offers.  Teams will ask Landon Donovan to go back overseas.  I also see Tim Howard going to a big time team as well.  Also to players not taking the confederation's cup seriously, that was not the case here.  The USA beating Spain was HUGE for this country.  Regardless of whether or not we can play with Spain most of the time, it makes the rest of this country think that we can play with teams like Spain.  It makes them think we are a good team and I think it will help with ratings for the cup this year.
do it

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 03:26:57 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Today football is more about great athletes and tactics.Talent of course is always welcomed but more than often it`s not enough. Take a look at argentina`s failures and the greek euro win.

I agree with you that USA can be a "quarterfinal contender" but i think that you are overrate the players

Oguchi Onyewu is a AC Milan player but hasn`t played a single minute. Howard is a top keeper only if we are talking about top 30. Donovan had struggled in europe many years and hadn`t done much.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 05:36:39 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum

Oguchi Onyewu plays for AC Milan.  Also regardless of where Tim Howard plays, he's one of the top goalies in the world right now.  USA may not have a chance to win it all, but they do have a chance to make some serious noise in the cup.  I also guarantee that after the World Cup, you'll see Clint Dempsey getting offers from some big time teams, you'll see Michael Bradley getting offers.  Teams will ask Landon Donovan to go back overseas.  I also see Tim Howard going to a big time team as well.  Also to players not taking the confederation's cup seriously, that was not the case here.  The USA beating Spain was HUGE for this country.  Regardless of whether or not we can play with Spain most of the time, it makes the rest of this country think that we can play with teams like Spain.  It makes them think we are a good team and I think it will help with ratings for the cup this year.

I'm sorry, man, but none of the guys you mention are exactly new to the game. People already know their names and their game. They are not all of the sudden become starters at top teams after struggling to start in middle of the road teams.

And I don't say this to disrespect the American team, and I would love for soccer to catch on here. But the thing is that I think expectations are completely unrealistic at this point, and that can hurt the sport's popularity more than it can help. If they make it out of the group stage, in the round of 16 the US would face one of Germany, Serbia or Ghana. And after that, likely either Argentina or Nigeria. Given the expectations, a huge let down is possible.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 05:53:39 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I don´t know what to think about Germany´s chance to win the WC.

Group D seems to be relatively easy, and we should have a good chance to advance, but I just don´t see this team being able to win it all. Then again, stranger things have happened, and we have a tradition of overachieving at the tourneys.
So, my guess is we´ll make it to the quarterfinals, and depending on the matchup, maybe the semis.

To be honest, I don´t see one clear favorite for the WC this year. Argentina has the most potential, but Maradona is just not a good coach. Italy, England, Brazil, Holland all have a strong roster, but are not very balanced and seem to have too many flaws to become champion. Spain seems to be the best bet to win it all, but I could also see a surprise team like Greece 2004 win the Cup.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:00:02 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Donovan had struggled in europe many years and hadn`t done much.
Donovan was excellent for Everton this season. A big part of their success .... first time I've seen him play well on a regular basis in Europe.

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Spain + Brazil + England are the true contenders.

The other teams are outsiders who need a huge chunk of luck to win the tournament.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Spain imho is the best team today and they are in excellent form the last 2 years. That`s my only concern about them... Can they keep it up?
I don`t know about england.... They`ve proved me wrong many times before. The difference this time is that on the bench they have a real coach. I want them to do well though.

About donovan. I haven`t seen him more that once or twicewith everton (i can`t say i was impressed) so i take your word about his performance this season. But so far he`s played in europe in 6-7 seasons about 30 games and has scored 2 goals.

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
Donovan was excellent for Everton this season. A big part of their success .... first time I've seen him play well on a regular basis in Europe.

"A big part of their success" is a bit of a stretch. He played in 10 of their 36 games.

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

"A big part of their success" is a bit of a stretch. He played in 10 of their 36 games.
Donovan was only there for a short while (two months). He would have been an important first team player for the remainder of the season if he didn't have to return to the LA Galaxy (loan deal).

Everton had 5 wins, 7 draws and 6 losses in the league when Donovan joined them in early January.

In the time he was at the club -- Everton won 6 games, 2 draws and 2 losses.

Landon Donovan opened up their attack, providing width and penetration with his dribbling + runs + passing. He was also a goal threat. That weapon changed the dynamic of their team and turned around their form.

He played a pivotal role in Everton turning around their season.

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Today football is more about great athletes and tactics.Talent of course is always welcomed but more than often it`s not enough. Take a look at argentina`s failures and the greek euro win.

I agree with you that USA can be a "quarterfinal contender" but i think that you are overrate the players

Oguchi Onyewu is a AC Milan player but hasn`t played a single minute. Howard is a top keeper only if we are talking about top 30. Donovan had struggled in europe many years and hadn`t done much.

Tim Howard is a top 10 goalie in the world.  If you think he is barely top 30 then name 29 goalies in the world better than him.  If you can do that I will give you a tommy point every day for a year.  Also Donovan was great for Everton this year.  He was on a loan there, but when he was there he played and was very successful for the EPL.  Also Gooch hasn't played a minute yet because of a knee injury, not because he isn't good enough to play for them. 

I'm sorry, man, but none of the guys you mention are exactly new to the game. People already know their names and their game. They are not all of the sudden become starters at top teams after struggling to start in middle of the road teams.

And I don't say this to disrespect the American team, and I would love for soccer to catch on here. But the thing is that I think expectations are completely unrealistic at this point, and that can hurt the sport's popularity more than it can help. If they make it out of the group stage, in the round of 16 the US would face one of Germany, Serbia or Ghana. And after that, likely either Argentina or Nigeria. Given the expectations, a huge let down is possible.

Also most players don't go straight to big time teams when they're young.  Look at Fernando Torres, he started at Atletico Madrid, hardly a power house.  The superstars in the game do, but there's not too many of them in the game.  Clint Dempsey has been successful for Fullham and he's still only 27, this is his prime now.  The MLS really screwed over a lot of these American players by not letting them go overseas.  Either way, this is basically an audition for many players in the tournament.  Expect guys like Michael Bradley to come in and be successful.
do it

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum

Tim Howard is a top 10 goalie in the world.  If you think he is barely top 30 then name 29 goalies in the world better than him.  If you can do that I will give you a tommy point every day for a year.  Also Donovan was great for Everton this year.  He was on a loan there, but when he was there he played and was very successful for the EPL.  Also Gooch hasn't played a minute yet because of a knee injury, not because he isn't good enough to play for them. 

Also most players don't go straight to big time teams when they're young.  Look at Fernando Torres, he started at Atletico Madrid, hardly a power house.  The superstars in the game do, but there's not too many of them in the game.  Clint Dempsey has been successful for Fullham and he's still only 27, this is his prime now.  The MLS really screwed over a lot of these American players by not letting them go overseas.  Either way, this is basically an audition for many players in the tournament.  Expect guys like Michael Bradley to come in and be successful.

Fernando Torres started at Atletico Madrid because that was his youth club. And Atletico Madrid might not be an elite clube, but is one of the top teams (9 Spanish championships, 1 champions league, top 4 the two previous seasons) in one of the top leagues.  Certainly a much bigger club than Fulham. And then he went to Liverpool at age 23.

I can't think of anyone who struggled to crack the rotation at a middle of the road team suddenly becoming an impact player at a top team at age 27 or above.

Tim Howard is a borderline top 20 goal keeper in the world. He might get a spot at a top team if they need a goalkeeper. No one else in the US has any chance of doing that. Gooch wasn't the starter before the injury.

There is a reason oddsmakers are giving the US 80-1 odds.

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 03:02:21 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Spain`s first calls

Goalkeepers    
Iker Casillas    Real Madrid
David De Gea    Atletico Madrid
Diego Lopez    Villarreal
Pepe Reina    Liverpool
Víctor Valdes    Barcelona

Defenders    
Raul Albiol    Real Madrid
Alvaro Arbeloa    Real Madrid
Cesar Azpilicueta    Osasuna
Joan Capdevila    Villarreal
Carlos Marchena    Valencia
Gerard Pique    Barcelona
Carles Puyol    Barcelona
Sergio Ramos    Real Madrid

Midfielders    
Xabi Alonso    Real Madrid
Sergio Busquets    Barcelona
Cesc Fabregas    Arsenal (ENG)
Andres Iniesta    Barcelona
Javi Martinez    Athletic Bilbao
Marcos Senna    Villarreal
David Silva    Valencia
Xavi    Barcelona
Santi Cazorla    Villarreal
Jesus Navas    Sevilla
Juan Mata    Valencia

Forwards    
Pedro    Barcelona
Daniel Guiza    Fenerbahce (TUR)
Fernando Llorente    Athletic Bilbao
Alvaro Negredo    Sevilla
Fernando Torres    Liverpool (ENG)
David Villa    Valencia

Del Bosque will have to choose 23 players.
Three will be keepers. So he`ll have to cut 5 more!!!
That`s a difficult task! 

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:56 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Del Bosque will have to choose 23 players.
Three will be keepers. So he`ll have to cut 5 more!!!
That`s a difficult task! 
Every coach would love to have problems like that :) For me, they are the team to beat.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels