Author Topic: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?  (Read 10108 times)

Re: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tough break.  The 76ers have gotten a lot better, and Butler was the one FA that I think we mistakenly missed on.  Chemistry and spacing concerns are generally valid, but talent wins championships and they're now fleeced with it.  I've got 'em giving Toronto a serious issue.

Now that the Wolves have moved Butler I hope we try to find a way to pry Taj Gibson away from them. Would be a really nice bench piece for us.

Great call.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tough break.  The 76ers have gotten a lot better, and Butler was the one FA that I think we mistakenly missed on.  Chemistry and spacing concerns are generally valid, but talent wins championships and they're now fleeced with it.  I've got 'em giving Toronto a serious issue.

Now that the Wolves have moved Butler I hope we try to find a way to pry Taj Gibson away from them. Would be a really nice bench piece for us.

Great call.
Didn't see fwf's idea about Gibson. That would be an awesome piece for us to nab somehow. Rebounding, interior defence and the ability to stretch the floor if necessary (hopefully he wouldn't fall in love with it like Baynes) would be sweet.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this trade is the best thing that could have happened to the Celtics. Now they realize that this season is going to be anything but a cakewalk and that there are now 3 other teams in the East capable of beating them out. 

I think this focuses them a bit more to the task at hand and pretty soon we're going to start seeing more consistent performances.  They know they have a lot of work to do.

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Minnesota really screwed this up. couldve had 4 first round picks.

On the other end, The 76r's had to do something and got an all-star player. But on the other hand they have no 3 point shooting as of right now..

much less yeah.  Butler not horrible from three (i;m not sure)?  Embiid hits threes...Reddick and Chandler.  McConnel?  They really need Chandler to come back and be good after this trade.  And I think they are a bit thin up front..

I don't think anyone should count on chandler. Two of the last 4 seasons he has missed. I would be surprised if he stays healthy. On the plus for them they need him less with butler

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think you guys are seriously underestimating Fultz's value.  He has played 27 career games and was the #1 pick for a reason.  Lots of teams would acquire Fultz without giving it a second thought.  He obviously isn't getting a top 5 pick at this point, but the Sixers could quite easily move him for value and pretty decent value I think.

Did you see his free throw the other night? He has regressed back to his worst shooting form. His contract is also expensive making 12 million in 2019-2020 (if that does get picked up). He is approaching negative trade value if he does 20 more games of this

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love Jimmy but he will help them win maybe ONE game versus BOS.

I don't see how they will win no more than TWO games in a seven game series with us.

When he was with CHI, I'd say RONDO had more of an effect on us than he did, and that's no offense to Jimmy.

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
PHI won this trade, but not by as big of a margin as people think.

Saric was actually pretty good for PHI and even some folks on here kept saying this all last year and early part of this year. Butler's a better player, but to be honest, has he really shown he can help carry a team far? Like @GreenFaith said above, Rondo had a bigger impact on the Chicago-Boston series 2 years ago than Butler, and remind me again, did the Wolves even make the playoffs last year after acquiring Butler?

Like I said in another thread, they still need Fultz and Simmons to shoot better, otherwise I still think PHI is the 3rd best in the East. Butler isn't a great perimeter threat either, and that's where PHI did most of their damage last year with Reddick, Covington, Illyasova, Belinelli, etc.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think you guys are seriously underestimating Fultz's value.  He has played 27 career games and was the #1 pick for a reason.  Lots of teams would acquire Fultz without giving it a second thought

That was before other teams figured out his college season was a fraud and he has serious issues.   They hid him half his college season.  I think you're wrong and I think the cat is out of the bag in regards to him being false goods.

If Butler thought KAT was soft, and he did.   What will he think of a cupcake like Fultz?

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Great call.
Didn't see fwf's idea about Gibson. That would be an awesome piece for us to nab somehow. Rebounding, interior defence and the ability to stretch the floor if necessary (hopefully he wouldn't fall in love with it like Baynes) would be sweet.

We need to sign Noah first to get Thibs to go along, so we can throw him into the deal and make it a Bull-for-Bull swap.

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I think you guys are seriously underestimating Fultz's value.  He has played 27 career games and was the #1 pick for a reason.  Lots of teams would acquire Fultz without giving it a second thought.  He obviously isn't getting a top 5 pick at this point, but the Sixers could quite easily move him for value and pretty decent value I think.

Well, San Antonio reportedly didn't want him as the "primary piece" in a Kawhi package according to reports. I truthfully don't think Boston would swap Tatum for him right now (even with how Tatum's looked lately). Same with a Lakers and Ingram/Kuzma - Fultz swap.

Obviously he still has value and could get back something good, but definitely not as a #1 pick anymore. He probably isn't getting you a superstar I mean (unless Fultz is considered like the 3rd best guy in the trade package). He could have easily been in the Butler package via trade but frankly MIN really messed that whole thing up IMHO. Either that or MIN actually thought Saric+Covington > Fultz... which would be, wow...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:18:54 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think you guys are seriously underestimating Fultz's value.  He has played 27 career games and was the #1 pick for a reason.  Lots of teams would acquire Fultz without giving it a second thought

That was before other teams figured out his college season was a fraud and he has serious issues.   They hid him half his college season.  I think you're wrong and I think the cat is out of the bag in regards to him being false goods.

If Butler thought KAT was soft, and he did.   What will he think of a cupcake like Fultz?

He'll probably feel sorry for him.  He won't call him out, and I'm guessing he'll try to help him (everyone will take a crack at helping him). 

Butler doesn't have a  problem with the Fultz's of the world.  He has a problem with guys he thinks should be superstars but are too lazy to rise to the occasion.  Fultz will barely be on Jimmy's radar, unless he really takes him under his wing as his mentor.  Which, by the way, is not Jimmy's MO. 
I won't be surprised if Jimmy leaves Philly to play on a more vet laden team next year, despite that Philly will be very good.     

Edit:  Embiid, Simmons and Butler all have very strong personalities.  I expect there to be some tension for a while (Butler related not between the two youngsters).  Let's see if they can iron out that tension.  I have doubts. 

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Well, San Antonio reportedly didn't want him as the "primary piece" in a Kawhi package according to reports. I truthfully don't think Boston would swap Tatum for him right now (even with how Tatum's looked lately). Same with a Lakers and Ingram/Kuzma - Fultz swap.

Obviously he still has value and could get back something good, but definitely not as a #1 pick anymore. He probably isn't getting you a superstar I mean (unless Fultz is considered like the 3rd best guy in the trade package). He could have easily been in the Butler package via trade but frankly MIN really messed that whole thing up IMHO. Either that or MIN actually thought Saric+Covington > Fultz... which would be, wow...

Ainge probably wouldn't trade Tatum for fultz and two first rounders

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He'll probably feel sorry for him.  He won't call him out, and I'm guessing he'll try to help him (everyone will take a crack at helping him). 

Butler doesn't have a  problem with the Fultz's of the world.  He has a problem with guys he thinks should be superstars but are too lazy to rise to the occasion.  Fultz will barely be on Jimmy's radar, unless he really takes him under his wing as his mentor.   
It would really be crazy if butler assaulted fultz and went to jail. Then they would lose two players. I hope that doesn't happen of course

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

good post that raises a number of question. one of them, for me, is how exactly did the minnesota-philly talks proceed? was fultz ever a realistic part of the discussions? or did philly not put him on the trade table? or, did minnesota not want fultz as part of the package?

i would be curious to know all these.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Ainge probably wouldn't trade Tatum for fultz and two first rounders

Another thing I realized. The Process might officially be over now.

If they sign Butler to an extension (as has been reported), then I think that's basically their team going forward (barring another big trade though I imagine that trade would include one or two of their key pieces too). Don't think PHI would have cap space to sign another max-FA this summer (Butler is that guy). So yeah, the Process would be Fultz/Reddick/Butler/Simmons/Embiid, something to that extent. Extremely good, but Fultz is still the real wild card here.