Author Topic: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?  (Read 10094 times)

Re: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Wow what a poor return is my initial reaction
Mine too.

They really wanted to get rid of Butler, didn’t they!

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Trade has to make Philly better, since they got the best player of the deal. But they did cut into their depth and Butler is basically a rental. Toronto did the same with Leonard. Both teams trying to catch up with the Celtics. You wonder what affect Butler will have on Simmons. Butler wants to be the man. He wants the ball. Simmons has the ball.

The Celtics have problems of their own. They aren't playing as well as they did last year, especially down the stretch. What's different? Well, Hayward for one. Making him a starter from game one may have been a mistake--especially with hardly any pre-season. Don't think he was ready for it, and neither was the team?

The way things look, the Celtics suddenly find themselves in a real horse race against Toronto and Philly. There may well have to be some changes in Boston for the Celtics to keep up with the pace.

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I hate to say it but that is an excellent trade for the Sixers. Covington and Saric are good but adding Butler takes them to the next level. Not a lot to give up IMO.

I still believe we have the better roster, however we really need to get it together soon... the division (and conference) have gotten a lot tougher.

On paper they look scary, but I dont know how Butler would fit here.

Simmons and Embiid are already ball dominant players, adding another one might kill their ball movement. And Butler also has a habit of calling out teammates when things don't go his way, and if this happens in Philly, it could be trouble.

I know Butler is a good to great player.  But I agree that he is ball dominant.  If Simmons could develop a 3 point shot, this move would have a lot more impact.  Butler is a decent 3 point shooter, so maybe he provides the spacing?  I am not happy about this trade ( I don't want Philly getting any better), but Butler hasn't been a very good team mate for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign long term with the 76ers.
People really overuse this "ball dominant" argument.  Hard to get more ball dominant and a redundant fit than Lebron and Wade but they won 2 titles.  Having multiple shot creators is a very good thing.  Simmons, Redick, Butler, Embiid should be a really nice fit.  The question is does Fultz step up to be the 5th guy or do they need to look elsewhere.

Neither Simmons, Embiid, or Butler are anywhere, I repeat anywhere near Lebron level circa 2012.  I just don't think that is a good comparison.   Butler and Simmons both play their best when they control the ball.  Simmons can't shoot.  Philly traded two guys that could shoot.  Maybe it will work out for Philly but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
I didn't say they were on Lebron's level.  I said Lebron and Wade were much more ball dominant and a much more redundant fit.  Simmons, Butler and Embiid are rather complimentary.  Just add Redick and another shooter.   

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 03:58:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This move takes pressure off Embiid in crunch time. 

They still need more outside shooters.  Watch them go after Korver.

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I hate to say it but that is an excellent trade for the Sixers. Covington and Saric are good but adding Butler takes them to the next level. Not a lot to give up IMO.

I still believe we have the better roster, however we really need to get it together soon... the division (and conference) have gotten a lot tougher.

Simmons and Embiid are already ball dominant players, adding another one might kill their ball movement. And Butler also has a habit of calling out teammates when things don't go his way, and if this happens in Philly, it could be trouble.

I know Butler is a good to great player.  But I agree that he is ball dominant.  If Simmons could develop a 3 point shot, this move would have a lot more impact.  Butler is a decent 3 point shooter, so maybe he provides the spacing?  I am not happy about this trade ( I don't want Philly getting any better), but Butler hasn't been a very good team mate for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign long term with the 76ers.
People really overuse this "ball dominant" argument.  Hard to get more ball dominant and a redundant fit than Lebron and Wade but they won 2 titles.  Having multiple shot creators is a very good thing.  Simmons, Redick, Butler, Embiid should be a really nice fit.  The question is does Fultz step up to be the 5th guy or do they need to look elsewhere.

Neither Simmons, Embiid, or Butler are anywhere, I repeat anywhere near Lebron level circa 2012.  I just don't think that is a good comparison.   Butler and Simmons both play their best when they control the ball.  Simmons can't shoot.  Philly traded two guys that could shoot.  Maybe it will work out for Philly but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
I didn't say they were on Lebron's level.  I said Lebron and Wade were much more ball dominant and a much more redundant fit.  Simmons, Butler and Embiid are rather complimentary.  Just add Redick and another shooter.

Well you were basically using Lebron as an example of how ball dominant players can win titles, I think that is more the exception to the rule due to Lebron.  I don't think Butler is complimentary to Simmons.  Simmons needs the ball to be effective, Butler is less effective when he can't drive and dish (the exact same thing that Simmons does). 

Butler is an ok 3 point shooter, but what Simmons and Embiid really need is a high level 3 point shooter that can play def really well and be more of a catch and shoot player.   They have 1/2 of that with Redick but he hurts their def.  Honestly Jaylen Brown would probably excel in that role for Philly.

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think people on here are undervaluing Saric. He's going to be great in Minnesota. Butler is a player with attitude problems on an expiring deal. It makes sense for the Sixers to take the risk and go for it, they likely don't have other options and its clear Fultz won't be their solution. But, Butler was never going to get anywhere close to what Kawhi got as a return.

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2018, 04:37:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't know. I feel like all three of those guys, and their bets prospect Fultz all need the ball to be the best versions of themselves. Not saying it can't or wont work, but its not a guarantee to be a fit. It just seems like the whole will be less than the sum of its parts, even if the whole is still very good or event elite.

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Sixers now need to add a big....isn't patten injured?  Or not good?  Amir Johnson and Mike Muscala
and that's it.

Embiid and Simmons as only good bigs and one is the PG.  A little precarious as things stand.
Have to wait and see on this but it doesn't make me fear Philly. 

Toronto is scary this year...

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sixers now need to add a big....isn't patten injured?  Or not good?  Amir Johnson and Mike Muscala
and that's it.

Embiid and Simmons as only good bigs and one is the PG.  A little precarious as things stand.
Have to wait and see on this but it doesn't make me fear Philly. 

Toronto is scary this year...

Muscala is pretty good, underrated imo. He can pick up some of Saric's role, has a similar skillset, although significantly less talented.

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Seriously... That is terrible news.  Incredible trade for the 6'ers. Obviously the Celtics are already reeling a little bit coming to grips with the whole Gordon Hayward situation and now this happens.

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Seriously... That is terrible news.  Incredible trade for the 6'ers. Obviously the Celtics are already reeling a little bit coming to grips with the whole Gordon Hayward situation and now this happens.
They're about to go through the same adjustment pains that the Celtics have been dealing with.  Time will tell for both teams.

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Still not very concerned about them. Don’t like the fit that much, and Saric was just coming into form. Hurts their depth considerably.

Butler is good, but I’ve always considered him overrated
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think people on here are undervaluing Saric. He's going to be great in Minnesota. Butler is a player with attitude problems on an expiring deal. It makes sense for the Sixers to take the risk and go for it, they likely don't have other options and its clear Fultz won't be their solution. But, Butler was never going to get anywhere close to what Kawhi got as a return.

TP.

Whatever Simmons is doing now, as a big who can pass, that wad Dario Saric coming in to hia draft. And he has a jumper.

He has been shackled in Philly because of Simmons, but he can be that projected Point Forward player that he showed he could be, this will be a steal for Minnesota.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd like to see Philly use Ben Simmons at PF defensively. Bring in two guards to play alongside him and Jimmy Butler at SF. That would make Philly very dynamic on offense. Lots of guys who can pass and dribble. Get more motion into the offense. More movement.

I worry a bit with Simmons at guard. With Jimmy at SF. Alongside Embiid and a PF who is far less talented than Saric. Who doesn't offer Saric's ball-handling, driving, passing, shooting and overall mobility around the court. Someone who is a threat to make a play from all over the court. Stick in a less mobile (like Muscala). Someone who is more of a standstill guy.

I worry if they get enough player movement off of all the ball-handling and slashing of Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons. I think they could become quite stagnant. Everyone standing around watching those two guys trying to make something happen. Or going into Embiid to go one-on-one inside. More one-on-one play. Less team play.

G: McConnell
G: Redick
F: Butler
F: Simmons
C: Embiid

And I think they gotta trade Fultz now. No way they can bring him along with Simmons and Jimmy Butler taking all those touches on the perimeter. And no way Fultz can play off of them with how sketchy his jump-shot is.

The Fultz situation just turned from bad to awful for both him and Philly.

They gotta make a change. Trade him for a guard who can defend and shoot. Doesn't need to be a PG. A second SG who is versatile enough to defend PGs would be perfect (to play alongside Simmons).

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It is a big acquisition for end of game options in playoffs. They gave away 25 pt and 10 rebounds a game to get him but it is advantage Sixers as they desperately needed th D upgrade and all star option to take over end of game. Embiid and him as two options are going to be tough. Would expect to see his numbers go higher with Simmons feeding him.

But hey, we added Kyrie for our playoffs this year so we are more stacked then before. Should be fun action.