Author Topic: Porzingis injury  (Read 9882 times)

Re: Porzingis injury
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2023, 08:21:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Better get a backup PF/C cause TimeLord & Porzingis will need some time off this season

Get ready for a fair amount of Luke Kornet and Sam Hauser during the regular season.

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2023, 12:50:49 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373
I don’t think there’s any backup we can get that moves the needle more than who we already have without blowing though the second apron. I don’t even think we can use our MLE without blowing through the second apron. When you have your first 5 players taking you over the cap already and $42k to spend on the next 10 it’s hard to have a stacked roster. Right now we can spend $4.1m before we hit the second apron.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Better get a backup PF/C cause TimeLord & Porzingis will need some time off this season

Get ready for a fair amount of Luke Kornet and Sam Hauser during the regular season.
Bummer thought. He's a 4th string center in this league. Has to be someone else they can get....

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2023, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
It is pretty expected that Horford, Williams, and Porzingis are all going to miss games and require minutes management.  This recent news on Porzingis does not really change that expectation.  Kornet is going to get his chances, but he is clearly a C.  Who is going to play PF?  I think Porzingis is our starting PF and Horford is our back up PF, at least as it stands now.  Williams plays C and Kornet plays C.  But both Porzingis and Horford are kind of hybrid PF/C, can play both but not really either.

I think we are going to see a fair amount of Brissett at PF (he is injured too).  And there will be some small ball where there is no PF.  And before anyone jumps in, Grant Williams was not really a PF either.  He could play the position as a back up but was really undersized for the position.  More so even than Brissett.

We need a PF, not a C.  Actually, calling it a "need" may be a bit strong.  A solid back up PF would address a weakness, but I am not sure it is a big enough issue to be a "need".

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kristaps Porzingis on injury: 'During the training process, it started to hurt'

“I have an idea where the injury occurred. But an injury develops during a career and then jumps onto the field. During the training process, it started to hurt. There has never been anything like it. I felt that there were no options to achieve the shape I wanted. There was no logic in trying to break my feet,” Kristaps Porzingis concluded.” – via EuroHoops.net

“I said being around is important, even though I’m not playing. They supported my decision. Also, there’s a long season ahead. It’s important for me to spend time with my teammates, with my family, and Boston respected my decision,” Porzingis explained in an interview with Sporta Studija. – via EuroHoops.net

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2023, 08:54:18 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really concerned this becomes another lingering injury for him and Celtics.

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
In his career (8 seasons), Porzingis has had 3 seasons with 65 or more regular season games, 4 seasons with between 43-64 games, and 1 season with 0 games.  He has played a total of 10 playoff games.  He just turned 28 years old and is under contract for 3 seasons.  Can we expect maybe 2 of 3 of these seasons with over 65 games plus playoffs?  Maybe the 3rd season with 50 games plus playoffs?  I don't think that is unrealistic if maybe optimistic.

We know Porzingis is going to need to miss games, have his minutes managed.  That is why is trade value was what it was and why his contract is $30M not $60M.  He is a calculated risk.  I feel good about the trade still at this point.  Porzingis is a really good player, there is high potential reward that comes with the risk.  I think he understands that these 3 seasons are a huge opportunity for him to define his legacy, and that isn't hyperbole.  It literally could mean a couple of championships, or even just deep playoff runs, and his whole career redefined.

I think he is now a mature player who gets it, which wasn't always the case earlier in his career.  I think he was miffed he got traded by the Knicks, kind of pouted in DAL, and wasn't much happier in WAS.  Now I feel he wants to be in Boston, he recognizes the opportunity that he has.  To me, that part of this is why I think he is worth the risk.  I don't think we have even seen all of his potential, he can be even better than 23 pts / 8.4 Rebs / 38.5 3P% / 1.5 Blks that he put up last season.  To me, it is pretty clear he wants to win and is ready to assume whatever role is needed to help the team.

Now let's see if he can stay on the court.

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2023, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Kelly Olynyk had the same issue his rookie year and had to miss playing for team Canada.

10 years later he's still playing in the NBA averaging 22.5 minutes and 68 games played per season.

Porzingis is older than Kelly was, and the degree might be different, but both are 7 footers and the injury can be managed without serious detriments unless you think plantar fasciitis is the reason why KO isn't a top 5 player like Giannis.

Unless there's a serious setback between now and October it shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2023, 03:42:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It is pretty expected that Horford, Williams, and Porzingis are all going to miss games and require minutes management.  This recent news on Porzingis does not really change that expectation.  Kornet is going to get his chances, but he is clearly a C.  Who is going to play PF?  I think Porzingis is our starting PF and Horford is our back up PF, at least as it stands now.  Williams plays C and Kornet plays C.  But both Porzingis and Horford are kind of hybrid PF/C, can play both but not really either.

I think we are going to see a fair amount of Brissett at PF (he is injured too).  And there will be some small ball where there is no PF.  And before anyone jumps in, Grant Williams was not really a PF either.  He could play the position as a back up but was really undersized for the position.  More so even than Brissett.

We need a PF, not a C.  Actually, calling it a "need" may be a bit strong.  A solid back up PF would address a weakness, but I am not sure it is a big enough issue to be a "need".

You are correct, though I'm not looking forward to the annual refrains of "Well, we only lost this game because X was out" (or "because X and Y were out") "but we'll be fine once the playoffs roll around," and then once again fall short of the title, mainly because guys were still hurt by the time the playoffs rolled around.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2023, 04:04:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

You are correct, though I'm not looking forward to the annual refrains of "Well, we only lost this game because X was out" (or "because X and Y were out") "but we'll be fine once the playoffs roll around," and then once again fall short of the title, mainly because guys were still hurt by the time the playoffs rolled around.

And also why more than ever, it's important to also not play sloppy ball or down to your competition. Close out a series faster than prolonging it. Tatum's ankle injury wouldn't happen if the C's simply took care of business earlier in the series, or heck, in previous series that run as well. More games played means more minutes and more risk for injuries.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2023, 04:28:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Given this team's poor performances at home and relatively good performances on the road during the playoffs, I expect the regular season will be oriented to give guys a lot of rest, minimize and manage injuries, and not worry about seeding other than perhaps top 4.  I would expect this team to win about 50-52 games.

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2023, 04:41:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

And also why more than ever, it's important to also not play sloppy ball or down to your competition. Close out a series faster than prolonging it. Tatum's ankle injury wouldn't happen if the C's simply took care of business earlier in the series, or heck, in previous series that run as well. More games played means more minutes and more risk for injuries.

I agree with this.  There were times when managing minutes made it harder to win some regular season games but there were also plenty of times when the Celtics let winnable games get away by just not playing well or with urgency.  The latter needs to be cleaned up.  I hope they learned their lesson.

As to who will be healthy in the playoffs, if Porzingis is not playing or not playing 100%, this "gamble" will be looked back on as a bad gamble.  On the other hand, if he is contributing in the playoffs and for most of the season, it will be viewed as a savvy move, beating the injury odds.  Nothing is certain, this is no different.  I think getting Porzingis is a good risk to take.

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2023, 08:15:46 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373
Kristaps has offered more detail on the injury.

In a more recent interview with Sporta Studija, the 28-year-old discussed the “funny” injury.

“The foot hurts after exercise, I feel almost nothing when walking, a really funny injury,” Porzingis explained, via translation. “I have an idea what the origin of the injury might be, but it’s something that builds up over the course of a career and pops out at one point. It got worse during the training process – it started to hurt, then I couldn’t get rid of the inflammation.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/08/24/kristaps-porzingis-injury-update-celtics/

He also shared that the Celtics preferred that he rehab in the US but he was determined to accompany his teammates to the Philippines and Japan to offer them moral support because he thought that was very important for his national team and that the Celtics were ultimately ok with it and respected his decision.

Though Porzingis will not play for Latvia in the World Cup (which is being hosted by Japan, Indonesia, and the Philippines), he said it was important to him to still show up and support the national team.

“It’s not the ideal scenario that I imagined, but it is what it is,” Porziņgis said. “I wanted to be with the team. I came to continue my recovery process, to support the guys, to be connected with the national team.”

This differed from what his new NBA team wanted, but Porzingis said the Celtics were flexible (and that he appreciates it).

“Boston wanted me to continue my recovery there, but I told them it was very important for me to be with the national team even though I wasn’t playing,” he said. “They supported my decision. Also there, most likely, I will have a long season ahead of me. It is important now to spend time with my teammates in the national team, family at home. Boston respected all of that and supported me.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/08/24/kristaps-porzingis-injury-update-celtics/.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2023, 09:47:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Kristaps has offered more detail on the injury.

In a more recent interview with Sporta Studija, the 28-year-old discussed the “funny” injury.

“The foot hurts after exercise, I feel almost nothing when walking, a really funny injury,” Porzingis explained, via translation. “I have an idea what the origin of the injury might be, but it’s something that builds up over the course of a career and pops out at one point. It got worse during the training process – it started to hurt, then I couldn’t get rid of the inflammation.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/08/24/kristaps-porzingis-injury-update-celtics/

He also shared that the Celtics preferred that he rehab in the US but he was determined to accompany his teammates to the Philippines and Japan to offer them moral support because he thought that was very important for his national team and that the Celtics were ultimately ok with it and respected his decision.

Though Porzingis will not play for Latvia in the World Cup (which is being hosted by Japan, Indonesia, and the Philippines), he said it was important to him to still show up and support the national team.

“It’s not the ideal scenario that I imagined, but it is what it is,” Porziņgis said. “I wanted to be with the team. I came to continue my recovery process, to support the guys, to be connected with the national team.”

This differed from what his new NBA team wanted, but Porzingis said the Celtics were flexible (and that he appreciates it).

“Boston wanted me to continue my recovery there, but I told them it was very important for me to be with the national team even though I wasn’t playing,” he said. “They supported my decision. Also there, most likely, I will have a long season ahead of me. It is important now to spend time with my teammates in the national team, family at home. Boston respected all of that and supported me.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/08/24/kristaps-porzingis-injury-update-celtics/.

OK. Great. Provide moral support for your international teammates and family off the sidelines, I'm fine with that. But just don't go busting moves on the court. He needs to be bubble-wrapped!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)