Author Topic: Porzingis injury  (Read 9885 times)

Re: Porzingis injury
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2023, 09:43:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I had tendinitis in my plantar tendon. It healed. Took a while, but it healed. You definitely don’t want to rush it so resting all summer is the right thing to do.

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2023, 06:13:30 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
seems to be more precautionary than anything IMO. just like Brissetts knee injury. and now Horford isnt playing. Zinger had videos of him practicing just last week.

i'm sure celtics staff said "hey we are paying you $37million you may want to sit this one out"

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2023, 07:16:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm kind of relieved that it is planter fasciitis and not something more serious or structural.  Also pleased that he is prioritizing his NBA career.
Agree and glad it came in the off-season since the main remedy is rest.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2023, 08:14:34 AM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
And let the injuries begin...

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Had that once , it’s not fun and mean to get rid off , just lingers . Once was enough .  Can’t do anything that aggravates it or that prolongs healing. Hard for active person to do.

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2023, 09:24:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Maybe the C's learned something from Gallinari and told some players "Hell no".

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2023, 09:33:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
For the record, I am not suggesting that this shouldn't concern fans.  It is not good news that this is bothering him.  I am less concerned than many other scenarios and I am glad he is not playing.  At this point in his career, he should not ever play in these things.  Most USA veterans skip this or play for one run and then move on.  Latvia of course does not have as many options as USA does.

I think playing through the summer absolutely wears these players down at best, and at worst, they suffer career threatening injuries.  All players, and especially a player like Porzingis, need the entire summer to rest and heal.

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 10:16:39 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
For the record, I am not suggesting that this shouldn't concern fans.  It is not good news that this is bothering him.  I am less concerned than many other scenarios and I am glad he is not playing.  At this point in his career, he should not ever play in these things.  Most USA veterans skip this or play for one run and then move on.  Latvia of course does not have as many options as USA does.

I think playing through the summer absolutely wears these players down at best, and at worst, they suffer career threatening injuries.  All players, and especially a player like Porzingis, need the entire summer to rest and heal.

I find the whole club vs country debate fascinating. It happens a lot more in soccer because they have a lot more international games, FIFA World Cup qualifiers, European Cup qualifiers, the Copa America, and the pride and importance to players of representing one's country is very high, not just for the marquee teams like Brazil, England, France, Argentina but also for the small teams like Iceland, Senegal, South Korea etc. I'm sure a lot of our European, Latin American and Asian members here are familiar with this debate as it's been ongoing in that sport in particular for such a long time, and because the money involved is comparable if not greater to what is involved with NBA players and teams.

Soccer has had to deal with this for years - because the clubs obviously pay the player's wages, and some of these players are getting paid (and are worth) millions of their clubs, just like NBA players are. Nothing annoys a club that is either in a fight for a championship, or a fight to avoid relegation, more than having to release one of their best players to their national team to play in some friendly or qualifier on the other side of the world. Even worse when they pick up a serious injury and miss out on playing for their club for months. But can you really tell someone like Lionel Messi that he can't play for Argentina because Barcelona (or PSG, or even Inter Miami now) want to wrap him up in cotton wool? Right now Inter Miami's current success in the MLS after being one of the worst teams is 100% due to Messi, they're now in the final of the Leagues Cup after hardly having won anything all season. Or can Bayern tell Harry Kane not to play for England's minor games because they just paid over $127 million USD for him? Or maybe someone like Erling Haaland, would Manchester City stop him from playing for Norway, when without him they would struggle to qualify for the European championships?

But from the clubs' perspective, they've shelled out a lot of money for these players, and then they risk picking up injuries playing in a competition outside that which they are getting paid for. Like Kristaps and the FIBA world cup...obviously for Latvians this is a huge competition, and Kristaps is a big part of their team. Same with Slovenia, take Doncic out of their team and it's a huge loss. It's different for Team USA, we have so much depth that we could probably field five competitive teams in the competition, same as the bigger soccer teams like Spain, England, Brazil...but the national pride that many non-Americans have in representing their country is different to the way we see it here. In the US the pinnacle of achievements for fans are our domestic competitions, the NBA championship, the World Series...for international players they usually consider playing for their country to be the ultimate achievement, it's what stirs their blood, hearing their anthem and seeing their flag raised up above the others.

So I can kind of see both sides...as a Celtics fan I would love for none of our players to play in the FIBA World Cup, especially since it's kind of a secondary competition to the Olympics anyway, and I'm sure if the teams could forbid their players from participating in it they would, but I can understand why players would risk their health playing for their national team, and I'm not sure how you could tell them not to, if it's such a big thing for them. I'm not sure what the solution is. Soccer has had to deal with this type of club vs country issue for decades now and they haven't really been able to tell players not to play for their national teams.

Now from a homer point of view...I'm not Latvian and so am pleased by Kristaps not playing. Sucks to be him and sucks to be a Latvian fan though, I sympathize  :police:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 10:25:45 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 10:33:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Though the 7-foot-3 sharpshooter indicated he’s not fully ready for competition at this point and determined it was necessary to continue the recovery process, a Celtics source reached later Tuesday downplayed any concern over the issue. The source was granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. – via Jay King, Josh Robbins, Jay King and Josh Robbins @ The Athletic

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Though the 7-foot-3 sharpshooter indicated he’s not fully ready for competition at this point and determined it was necessary to continue the recovery process, a Celtics source reached later Tuesday downplayed any concern over the issue. The source was granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. – via Jay King, Josh Robbins, Jay King and Josh Robbins @ The Athletic

Celtics sources are contractually obligated to downplay any and all injuries (apparently).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2023, 01:45:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Chris Haynes: Boston Celtics say Kristaps Porzingis will go through four-to-six-weeks of rehab for plantar fasciitis and is expected to be cleared for start of training camp. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

This seems reasonable, but not all that reassuring.  I won't feel better until I see him on the court.  This can heal.  Stretching and rest.  Maybe some advanced PT.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2023, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Chris Haynes: Boston Celtics say Kristaps Porzingis will go through four-to-six-weeks of rehab for plantar fasciitis and is expected to be cleared for start of training camp. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

This seems reasonable, but not all that reassuring.  I won't feel better until I see him on the court.  This can heal.  Stretching and rest.  Maybe some advanced PT.

Yeah, that is the type of injury that can follow you around all season limiting your movement / effectiveness. Painful.

I think it was Rasheed who had that all through the Pistons title winning year. I saw him say in an interview the other day the one regret he had was not getting to play in DET when he still had all his athleticism.

Hopefully, Porzingis is lucky and it heals quickly. I'd think about sitting him out of training camp as well. Give him some more time to heal. I don't care much about the regular season. I'd rather have him healthier.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2023, 04:12:05 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Goodness. Think Brad should be looking for an extra big or PF type just in case. Cannot imagine KP getting hurt for a long stretch and how that would impact this team.

Probably go back to the double bigs? Would Brogdan start with White leaving PP as the back up PG and keeping Rob on the bench?

Not happy seeing the two guys Boston brought in (KP and Brissett) out with injuries already.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2023, 07:36:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Better get a backup PF/C cause TimeLord & Porzingis will need some time off this season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2023, 07:47:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Better get a backup PF/C cause TimeLord & Porzingis will need some time off this season

Don't worry, they'll get time off when they're injured.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis