4 (20%)
Jimmer Fredette
0 (0%)
Kyrie Irving
6 (30%)
Derrick Williams
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: After watching last night's games, who do you think becomes the best NBA player?  (Read 19573 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Is Derrick Williams athletic enough + good enough defensively to play the SF position full time in the NBA?

As a power three?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The problem is, Ben Gordon is a great shooter.  Walker is average at best.

Walker might not be the shoooter that Gordon is, but he's no where near 'average' in my opinion.

Nick, he worked pretty well without the ball last night, no?
Yes but if he's as one-dimensional as Gordon is when it comes to his NBA game that's a serious red flag. Gordon's one elite skill is his shooting after all.

Gordon is also elite at not giving a crap, whereas Walker seems very involved and shows good leadership skills.  I think that's a very important difference between the two at the next level. 

And I think Walker's scoring overshadows the rest of his game.  He's averaging about 4.5 assists, 5.5 rebounds, and 2 steals on top of his 24 ppg.  Not world-beating numbers, but they speak to a more well-rounded game than people give him credit for.  Fredette for example is lower in all three categories (barely in assists), despite a lower level of competition and what I'd guess would be a higher usage rate than Walker.
Ben Gordon put up very similar numbers, he just shot less due to Okafor eating up more possessions.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The problem is, Ben Gordon is a great shooter.  Walker is average at best.

Walker might not be the shoooter that Gordon is, but he's no where near 'average' in my opinion.

Yes but if he's as one-dimensional as Gordon is when it comes to his NBA game that's a serious red flag. Gordon's one elite skill is his shooting after all.

I actually think we're relatively on the same page. I'm just saying I don't think he should be completely dismissed because of his height. I see his ceiling somewhere around what Ben Gordon's is.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is Derrick Williams athletic enough + good enough defensively to play the SF position full time in the NBA?

As a power three?

That's a really good question.  As of right now, no.  Potentially, yes.

You can't just rely on your athleticism to everything on the NBA level. The guys playing at that level are all world class athletes. I feel like Derrick Williams is currently at this point. You need to refine your game and become more of a basketball player than simply an athlete playing the game of basketball if that makes sense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

As a power three?

I think yes to the first and undecided to the second.  He'd probably struggle some with quicker 3s but his athleticism is overall up to the task.  I think it's almost always tough to know if a guy can consistently succeed at NBA defense until you've seen him try.  I see more than enough potential in Williams, but potential success comes a whole lot cheaper than actual success.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

As a power three?

You can't just rely on your athleticism to everything on the NBA level. The guys playing at that level are all world class athletes. I feel like Derrick Williams is currently at this point. You need to refine your game and become more of a basketball player than simply an athlete playing the game of basketball if that makes sense.
What about his offensive game?

I read that he has been very effective in isolations in creating shots as a PF in college. That he is simply too quick and skilled away from the hoop for PFs to stop him.

How does his offensive game shape up against NBA small forwards with above average quickness and defensive ability? For example, a Trevor Ariza or a Marvin Williams.

Is Derrick Williams an explosive enough + quick enough athlete to beat them one-on-one? And does he have the ball-handling and shot-creation ability to do so?

Or, does D.Williams needs to play the four to create a matchup advantage like this?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I actually think we're relatively on the same page. I'm just saying I don't think he should be completely dismissed because of his height. I see his ceiling somewhere around what Ben Gordon's is.
Gotcha.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't think he should be completely dismissed.  But I don't think he should be a lottery pick, or mid first round pick.  

Height makes a big difference in the NBA, and it takes a truly special player be a quality starter in the league when they are that undersized.  I would feel better about his chances if I think he was a true PG, but I see him much more as a 5'9" shooting guard, and he just isn't Allen Iverson.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'd be shocked if Irving doesn't have the best career of the four.  I'd rank them:

1.  Irving
2.  Williams
3.  Walker
4.  Fredette

Not saying Williams won't be a star.  But as a tweener I do believe his stardom or non-stardom may be partly decided by his outside shot...which they say is great...

Walker should do better than Fredette due to speed....he'll make it as a non-traditional PG I would think.....someone to play alongside a ball handling 2 guard like Evan Turner once he comes around...Or maybe Alec Burks if reports are correct..

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I don't think he should be completely dismissed.  But I don't think he should be a lottery pick, or mid first round pick.  

Height makes a big difference in the NBA, and it takes a truly special player be a quality starter in the league when they are that undersized.  I would feel better about his chances if I think he was a true PG, but I see him much more as a 5'9" shooting guard, and he just isn't Allen Iverson.

He's not Allen Iverson, but he's also not Nate Robinson. He's a lightning quick guard, who works well off the screen, has a great shot, and clearly isn't afraid to take the big shot. He's also made some drastic improvements this year that support a strong work ethic. Maybe he's somewhere between Jamal Crawford and Monta Ellis?

I think you have to consider him in this lottery. He's a talented player who could definitely serve a role in the NBA. There's not a whole list of players in this draft who fit that description.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

He's not Allen Iverson, but he's also not Nate Robinson. He's a lightning quick guard, who works well off the screen, has a great shot, and clearly isn't afraid to take the big shot. He's also made some drastic improvements this year that support a strong work ethic. Maybe he's somewhere between Jamal Crawford and Monta Ellis?

I think you have to consider him in this lottery. He's a talented player who could definitely serve a role in the NBA. There's not a whole list of players in this draft who fit that description.

We;re just going to have to agree to disagree here, because I see Jamal Crawford being close to his absolute ceiling. 

I just think you are dramatically overrating him based on college heroics.  He is a mediocre shooter, and mediocre floor leader.  His skill is his ability to get penetration and score, and I think that will be less effective in the NBA, due to his lack of size.  But we will see.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
We;re just going to have to agree to disagree here, because I see Jamal Crawford being close to his absolute ceiling. 

To me, his basketball IQ and speed are so much greater than Crawford's that I think he surpasses him, despite that Crawford is probably the more gifted player overall.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

To me, his basketball IQ and speed are so much greater than Crawford's that I think he surpasses him, despite that Crawford is probably the more gifted player overall.

I'll take the shooting and size of Crawford...and I am not so sure about the BBIQ either. 

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I'll take the shooting and size of Crawford...and I am not so sure about the BBIQ either.  

Fair enough.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

As a power three?

What about his offensive game?

I read that he has been very effective in isolations in creating shots as a PF in college. That he is simply too quick and skilled away from the hoop for PFs to stop him.

How does his offensive game shape up against NBA small forwards with above average quickness and defensive ability? For example, a Trevor Ariza or a Marvin Williams.

Is Derrick Williams an explosive enough + quick enough athlete to beat them one-on-one? And does he have the ball-handling and shot-creation ability to do so?
Or, does D.Williams needs to play the four to create a matchup advantage like this?

I believe so.  The kid certainly exudes explosiveness and he seems relatively quick to me.  I think his handle is pretty solid too.

I think it'd be a mistake to plug him at the 4 in the NBA.  I think he's better suited to play the 3.  Perhaps, throw him at the 4 in a smallball lineup but I think he's more suited for the SF at the next level.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team