4 (20%)
Jimmer Fredette
0 (0%)
Kyrie Irving
6 (30%)
Derrick Williams
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: After watching last night's games, who do you think becomes the best NBA player?  (Read 19530 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I threw Walker and Fredette in there because all four guys had some amazing nights(though I guess Jimmer's night could have something to do with throwing up 36 shots, FTs and FGs combined). I agree though that Walker and Fredette aren't in the same league as the other two but I think you would be amazed at the amount of people who would think otherwise.

I wonder if Jimmer's night hurt his draft stock.  I know I came away thinking for the first time he was a total ball hog with terrible shot selection.
He's always been that guy.

Yeah, but for some reason, I think over the last few weeks (NCAA and conference tourney), it didn't show up as blatantly.  Last night it was just hard to ignore.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I agree though that Walker and Fredette aren't in the same league as the other two but I think you would be amazed at the amount of people who would think otherwise.

Big scoring numbers and media attention go a long way. 

I will say though that while Fredette has looked like a pure volume scorer, Walker has a much broader skillset and can play pretty good D at times too.  I think he'll have to rein in his offensive game a lot to fit in on a good team, but he'll be a NBA starter at some point.

I am not so sure with Walker.  I don't think he is a good enough shooter or floor leader to make it as an undersized PG in the NBA.

I mean, I don't think he does anything better than Nate Robinson for example, and is reportedly, not much bigger (it will be interesting to see actual measurements).

I wouldn't dismiss Walker by any means, I could see him being a very effective two guard. Maybe a smaller, faster version of Ben Gordon.
I can't see Walker as a 2 guard. Way too small and has very good court vision running the break and is lightening fast with a good handle. He's a PG. But is he Nate Robinson, TJ Ford or something better or something worse?

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I agree though that Walker and Fredette aren't in the same league as the other two but I think you would be amazed at the amount of people who would think otherwise.

Big scoring numbers and media attention go a long way. 

I will say though that while Fredette has looked like a pure volume scorer, Walker has a much broader skillset and can play pretty good D at times too.  I think he'll have to rein in his offensive game a lot to fit in on a good team, but he'll be a NBA starter at some point.

I am not so sure with Walker.  I don't think he is a good enough shooter or floor leader to make it as an undersized PG in the NBA.

I mean, I don't think he does anything better than Nate Robinson for example, and is reportedly, not much bigger (it will be interesting to see actual measurements).

I wouldn't dismiss Walker by any means, I could see him being a very effective two guard. Maybe a smaller, faster version of Ben Gordon.
I can't see Walker as a 2 guard. Way too small and has very good court vision running the break and is lightening fast with a good handle. He's a PG. But is he Nate Robinson, TJ Ford or something better or something worse?

Lets not forget that TJ Ford was a great passer.  I don't think Walker has anywhere near that kind of court vision.

Another guy who I think is somewhat comparable would be Johnny Flynn. 

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Williams might be the best front court prospect in this draft yet is only 6'8" but he has a pro offensive game being able to shoot from outside, create his own shot, play in the post and rebound.

People were saying similar things about Landry Fields (although clearly not as much). I think the NBA is moving towards an era where guys with Fields' skill set, or Jeff Green's, or Ryan Gomes/Jared Dudley will find a home out of what would've been considered their 'natural' position in college.

Difference is, I think those guys you mentioned were pegged as fill the gaps role guys from the start, while I think Williams (as only a sophomore), is more of a potential Odom type: true starter. Or a better Al Harrington.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Williams has the all around game that Odom does. He's got a similar body perhaps, but their are plenty of athletes who aren't players at the NBA level.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Derrick Williams looks worryingly small for a top flight PF in the NBA.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The problem is, Ben Gordon is a great shooter.  Walker is average at best.

Walker might not be the shoooter that Gordon is, but he's no where near 'average' in my opinion.

Nick, he worked pretty well without the ball last night, no?

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I really only watch UConn games, so I can't really comment on the other guys, but I wouldn't underestimate Walker.

He has improved so much from season to season.  Last summer he worked out with NBA guys (including Rondo) and it really showed.  He seems like a guy who would work on his weaknesses until he maximized his talent. 

I don't know if he'll be a NBA star, but I would want 15 guys with his determination on my team.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The problem is, Ben Gordon is a great shooter.  Walker is average at best.

Walker might not be the shoooter that Gordon is, but he's no where near 'average' in my opinion.

Yes but if he's as one-dimensional as Gordon is when it comes to his NBA game that's a serious red flag. Gordon's one elite skill is his shooting after all.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The problem is, Ben Gordon is a great shooter.  Walker is average at best.

Yes but if he's as one-dimensional as Gordon is when it comes to his NBA game that's a serious red flag. Gordon's one elite skill is his shooting after all.

Gordon is also elite at not giving a crap, whereas Walker seems very involved and shows good leadership skills.  I think that's a very important difference between the two at the next level. 

And I think Walker's scoring overshadows the rest of his game.  He's averaging about 4.5 assists, 5.5 rebounds, and 2 steals on top of his 24 ppg.  Not world-beating numbers, but they speak to a more well-rounded game than people give him credit for.  Fredette for example is lower in all three categories (barely in assists), despite a lower level of competition and what I'd guess would be a higher usage rate than Walker.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
The best comp I can think of with Williams is a sane Michael Beasley.

I think Beasley is a little more skilled, but overall they are similar.  Both are kind of tweeners, who dominated in college, partly because of their ability to match up with PFs, and really take advantage of their speed and shooting against the slower competition.  

In the NBA though, they really translate more as SFs, which takes away some of their quickness and skill advantage they had in college.  I think that is what will keep both of them from being true superstars...but still tremendously productive NBA players.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Gordon is also elite at not giving a crap, whereas Walker seems very involved and shows good leadership skills.  I think that's a very important difference between the two at the next level. 

Eh, I don't think we saw that from Gordon in college.  Coming out of college, he had some of the same intangibles as Walker.  He was seen as a tough guy with a killer instinct, and the ability to step up big time in big games. 

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Eh, I don't think we saw that from Gordon in college.  Coming out of college, he had some of the same intangibles as Walker.  He was seen as a tough guy with a killer instinct, and the ability to step up big time in big games. 

The latest "GOrdon doesn't care" thing is kind of new IIRC. Before it was "Gordon is streaky", but his effort was not in question.

Its that Pistons team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The best comp I can think of with Williams is a sane Michael Beasley.

I think Beasley is a little more skilled, but overall they are similar.  Both are kind of tweeners, who dominated in college, partly because of their ability to match up with PFs, and really take advantage of their speed and shooting against the slower competition. 

In the NBA though, they really translate more as SFs, which takes away some of their quickness and skill advantage they had in college.  I think that is what will keep both of them from being true superstars...but still tremendously productive NBA players.
Yeah, that was the comparison (Beasley/tweener) that leapt out at me too.

On the more positive side, Beasley struggled offensively as a PF due to his woeful shot selection. He had/has the skill + athleticism to be a prolific and effective scorer at the four but was unable to use those talents properly.

Derrick Williams has been one of the most efficient scorers in college basketball so maybe there is some hope for him to do better in this area than Beasley did.

It's a big "maybe" though.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Gordon was really pretty similar in college to what he is in the NBA - primarily a streaky volume scorer, a guy you went to in the clutch, but rarely a consistent force throughout a game and never a leader.  Okafor and Taliek Brown were the clear leaders of the 04 title team, whereas Walker is the undisputed head of this bunch.

EDIT:  I agree with IP that part of the apathy thing is being on such a mess of a team as the Pistons; but I still have a harder time seeing Walker sulking even in a bad situation.