Author Topic: Dewayne Dedmon for MLE, who says no  (Read 1709 times)

Dewayne Dedmon for MLE, who says no
« on: June 29, 2019, 04:58:19 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Capela will require moving Smart (or worse) to match salaries.
Sabonis will cost premium assets.
Cousins can barely move.

I would sign Dewayne Dedmon as a stop gap until we find or develop our center. He’s an UFA, costs about the MLE, can rim protect, rebound, shoot a midrange, defend, shoot free throws, he’s athletic and can catch lobs. Oh, and you don’t need to teach him how to shoot 3s like Capela (38% 3pt last season). What’s not to like? He’d be the perfect mentor for RW3.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOBkBpCfYg

His per numbers compare well with Capela as well. And we wouldn’t have to give up Smart. Seems like a no brainer to me.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Clint+Capela&player_id1_select=Clint+Capela&y1=2019&player_id1=capelca01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dewayne+Dedmon&player_id2_select=Dewayne+Dedmon&y2=2019&player_id2=dedmode01&idx=players

Re: Dewayne Dedmon for MLE, who says no
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 05:00:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm all aboard the Dedmon idea, if he's willing to come here for the MLE. He'd get as much playing time here as anywhere else, and he'd actually be winning games under one of the best coaches in the game.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 05:39:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the Celtics sign Kemba using the cap space, all there will be is the Room Exception at $4.7 million and not the $9.2 million the team would have if they were over the cap and using the non-taxpayer MLE. If Dedmon would take the much lower Room Exception, that would be okay by me.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 06:02:03 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
If the Celtics sign Kemba using the cap space, all there will be is the Room Exception at $4.7 million and not the $9.2 million the team would have if they were over the cap and using the non-taxpayer MLE. If Dedmon would take the much lower Room Exception, that would be okay by me.
Did not know that. Now I wonder who could we get to play the Center position for that little money. Can only think of garbage players such as Koufos, Jeff Withey, Greg Monroe etc
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Did not know that. Now I wonder who could we get to play the Center position for that little money. Can only think of garbage players such as Koufos, Jeff Withey, Greg Monroe etc
Probably Nerlens Noel, and use the min to sign Ed Davis/Robin Lopez.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 06:17:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Do we have cap to offer Kemba the max, and Dedmon a contract in the 7-11 million range, assuming that we're renouncing Horford, Kyrie, Morris, Rozier, Theis, Wannamaker, etc?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Do we have cap to offer Kemba the max, and Dedmon a contract in the 7-11 million range, assuming that we're renouncing Horford, Kyrie, Morris, Rozier, Theis, Wannamaker, etc?
Nope. After signing Kemba they’ll be pretty close to maxed out. They might be able to keep Theis as a bench option.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 07:17:43 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Edit:
I guess the room is the only exception, unless we are over the cap.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:23:12 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 07:49:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Nope. After signing Kemba they’ll be pretty close to maxed out. They might be able to keep Theis as a bench option.
I'd rather not keep Theis, signing Robin Lopez to a min would be a better move if we're looking for a backup center.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Isn’t there a way to get over the cap in order to get the MLE?

Somebody will probably offer Dedmon more than the MLE, but we would at least be in the ballpark and we could offer him a big role on a playoff team...

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
For MLE I'd say pass. For RE though that is a fair price and beggars can't be choosers.