Poll

Should the C's trade Smart + filler for Capela?

Yes
20 (22.7%)
No
58 (65.9%)
Maybe
10 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?  (Read 7501 times)

Re: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sign and trade for either Terry or Morris giving Houston 125% less to help with a Butler trade.    After we make our FA signings of course.   

To sign Kemba with cap space we need to renounce both Terry and Morris.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Sign and trade for either Terry or Morris giving Houston 125% less to help with a Butler trade.    After we make our FA signings of course.   

Oh, if it were only that easy.  With our contracts, we are at about $66M.  The Cap is $109M. That leaves only about $43M to either sign or sign and trade.  If we give $36M to Walker as has been reported, that only leaves $7M.  Rozier has a hold of $9M and Morris $10M.  Capela makes about $15M.

Now I am probably missing some of the nuance of all this but if we renounce everyone but  not renounce Rozier, we have to deduct his $9M from the cap space plus rookies and other things.  If they do that, they can't pay Walker.  My guess is the Walker number of $36M leaves enough to sign rookies but not much else, certainly not Rozier or Morris.

Point is we have to renounce Rozier and Morris before we can sign Walker, at least if we are going to sign him for $36M.  Once renounced we can't use them in a sign and trade,  We can trade Smart or Smart + Yabusele as some have speculated.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
If anyone is to be traded it's Brown 8)

Yeah, I think I agree with you. Given the value of Smart's salary and what he brings to the team. JB is going to be a restricted free agent after this year and you have to determine what you are willing to pay to keep him. Some team might want to blow him away with an offer next year that the C's are not comfortable matching.

I like Capela but I do worry about his outside shooting or lack thereof, and his poor FT%. He's tough to play at the end of games.  I think I might be more interested in Sabonis. He is making a few million less than JB but you could probably make a deal work. He put up 14 pts and 9 Reb last year in 24 min a game. He can shoot it from outside and could probably work on extending his 3 point range. I like his game a lot and think he would be a solid fit on our team.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I feel certain, without being certain, that Danny would not do Smart straight up for Capela.  He'd ask for more.  Ending the chance at a deal.   And I think he'd be right not to do Smart of Capela, unless there was further compensation. 

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Based on the assumption that Kemba is coming I think I would.  Team needs a big man and that seems like the best way to do it.  Now in a totally unrealistic and ideal world all of the various teams would work out a massive trade where Boston can acquire Walker and Capela without the need to give up Smart, but that just isn't going to happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I don't want to trade Smart, specially for Clint Capela. I think we could get what Capela gives from Nerlens Noel, for a way cheaper contract and without the need to trade any player
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't want to trade Smart, specially for Clint Capela. I think we could get what Capela gives from Nerlens Noel, for a way cheaper contract and without the need to trade any player

What am I missing?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford

What am I missing?

Sorry, did not understand. What do you mean?
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What am I missing?

Click on my text. It’s a link.

I don’t understand the argument that Noel and Capela can produce similarly.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still looking for a reason why Houston would want anyone in deal for Capela.  the premise of Houston trading him is to free up cap space to sign Butler as a FA.  sending them Smart defeats that purpose.  if the goal is to have Houston reroute Smart to Philly, no way I want Smart playing for Philly.  Certainly not for Capela who I think is overrated.

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford

What am I missing?

Ah ok, my bad. Did not see it was a link. Will check it out now.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford

What am I missing?

Ah ok, my bad. Did not see it was a link. Will check it out now.

I think there's a big difference in context. Noel played behind Steven Adams and Capela did not have anybody actually competing with him for minutes.

So, the per 36 minutes stats kind of even the things a little bit. I did not see Capela as a much better player by this stat. Rebounding is almost even. Noel is behind in points, but has a better FT% and is way ahead in steals and blocks, which would be way more valuable for us than points scored, as we are looking for a defensive Center.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Man I dunno, Capela at center would be a decent get.  But I don't think we are contending next season with :
Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Capela

So I don't know that trading Smart makes sense.  Smart is the better player.  So I guess I am voting no.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
still looking for a reason why Houston would want anyone in deal for Capela.  the premise of Houston trading him is to free up cap space to sign Butler as a FA.  sending them Smart defeats that purpose.  if the goal is to have Houston reroute Smart to Philly, no way I want Smart playing for Philly.  Certainly not for Capela who I think is overrated.

Yeah if Smart just ends up in Philly, don't do this deal.

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Yeah if Smart just ends up in Philly, don't do this deal.

Yea Smart can't go there he will carry them to a dozen championships!! LOL you guys crack me up, he will miss 15-20 games from injury don't forget.