Poll

Should the C's trade Smart + filler for Capela?

Yes
20 (22.7%)
No
58 (65.9%)
Maybe
10 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?  (Read 7502 times)

Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
 :P

Smart and filler for Capela

Re: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This is tough. I get we need a C but could we get one thats close to Capela and keep Smart.

Smarts the closes to KG we have, were it's about team, doing what needs to be done to win and toughness.

How many times has Smart done some thing on D that wins you a game. How many times has he missed every shot but the one to tie, or clinch you the win?

He was really missed during the playoffs. He has that it factor when it comes to the little things. Never going to be a lights out shooter, but man, you want that kid on your team during a championship run.

I'm still hoping for a S&T with either Rozier or Horford that gets us Kemba and either Capela or Adams.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I voted yes because of need, but I would hate to lose Smart.  He gives everything he has and is a team leader.

I wonder who people would prefer to trade away, Brown or Smart.  Smart makes more money so he makes more sense for trading for Capela.  But that aside, who of the two who would people prefer to keep?  Brown is looking at a huge pay day after this season.  I'm guessing over $20 million per season.  I'm not sure he's that good.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 01:08:42 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I’m a no.

Mahhcus Smahht......hahht and soul.

I like Capela and all, but just not enough to give up Smart.

If we had to take one thing from that debacle of a season last year, it should be that attitude and Fire are required elements for a successful team.

Smart brings those things in spades… Maybe Kemba will, but right now I don’t see anybody else on the roster that does that.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I voted maybe .If Kemba is coming then it’s a yes.

I love the things Smart brings to the team but with Kemba he’s replaceable.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I would only trade Smart for Kawhi Leonard. And I'm being deadly serious! I have so much faith in him that his number is part of my credit card password.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted yes because of need, but I would hate to lose Smart.  He gives everything he has and is a team leader.

I wonder who people would prefer to trade away, Brown or Smart.  Smart makes more money so he makes more sense for trading for Capela.  But that aside, who of the two who would people prefer to keep?  Brown is looking at a huge pay day after this season.  I'm guessing over $20 million per season.  I'm not sure he's that good.

I would trade Brown, but would want Gordon too in addition to Capela.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I voted no. Smart is the type of player a contender needs. He’s not going to be one of your best players (nor is he paid like one) but he makes a huge impact in games and brings elite defense.

I’d much rather trade Brown and filler.

Now I know what you’re thinking. But Brown > Smart!

Well, true. But Brown also needs more shots, and is due for a HUGE payday next summer. He needs to be treated as one of your best players to succeed and we already have Tatum and Hayward (who I’m convinced will have a bounce back year) as well as Kemba (hopefully!) ahead of him. Also, will he be paid max? I think someone will swoop in with the max or close to it. Do we want to pay max? I don’t know. If I had to choose, I’d rather max out Tatum the following offseason tbh. .

I’d trade Brown+filler for Capela and 2 unprotected 1st rounders. The first of those might be crap (considering Houston will probably have a good record) but the second one (which will have to convey 3 years later) might be awesome.
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'd trade brown for a quality big...wouldn't want to give Smart away for Capela. To me Capela, doesn't really set himself apart from other mid level bigs.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
No way.  Freaking love Smart.  He's my favorite Celtic and it's not close.  Bob Williams is a year or two away from becoming as good or better than Capela.  I'm content to wait on him.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No.

I think Capela is a valuable player.  The Celtics need a center. 

Even so, I wouldn't give up Smart.  In a playoff series I think he's more valuable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The Celtics odds are better of winning the east if Smart is in green and we use an exception to add whatever big man we can get, than we are of sending Smart to Philly in exchange for Capela. I like Capela, but i don't think his value over the center we can get otherwise is enough to compensate for subtracting Smart from Boston and adding him to Philly.

Those suggesting Brown, not that I like that idea either, but is that feasible? The salary difference between Brown and Capela is huge, would require us to send everything not tied down to make it work.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would only trade Smart for Kawhi Leonard. And I'm being deadly serious! I have so much faith in him that his number is part of my credit card password.

Between you and me, what's your credit card number?

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We won’t win a championship without Smart.

So no.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I feel like Smart is the one guy who should remain a Celtic because he's been here since 2014 and feel like we need some kind of continuity.

If I'm Ainge, I pursue other avenues first like offering Jaylen Brown. I'd rather trade him before Smart.

By the way, not that I'm opposed to Capela. However, Smart has been the one constant on our team.