Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16279 times)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I apologize if this has been posted:

The source is kinda sketchy by according to a sports talk radio host in sacramento the Celtics are trying to squeeze in on a trade the 76ers and Rockets are talking about, trying to acquire Capela

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/27/celtics-rumors-third-team-rockets-76ers-trade-nba-free-agency-clint-capela/?fbclid=IwAR0w8p8_ayHR9kdD-ywEqlIFRf12vJmud5mZQuHg4lcEg5rUTCBZGTAaMvE
I've been told by a source in Houston that the Boston Celtics have significant interest in being the third team in a Rockets/76ers sign & trade.

Speculation: Boston, who has now emerged as the front runner to land Kemba Walker, will try and move in and acquire Clint Capela.

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

Im not sure I want to give up Smart to get Capela, and I think its the only way we could make this deal happen
Greg

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
 i trade Smart in a second..think im only one who doesnt care for him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Would this mean smart goes to Philly? Wouldn't want to come up against him in the playoffs

Not sure Capela has the size to go with Embiid either. Think we'd be better off signing a fa centre with more size and keeping smart. Either that or a stretch 5 to open up the floor and just go all in on offence

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

The source is kinda sketchy by according to a sports talk radio host in sacramento the Celtics are trying to squeeze in on a trade the 76ers and Rockets are talking about, trying to acquire Capela

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/27/celtics-rumors-third-team-rockets-76ers-trade-nba-free-agency-clint-capela/?fbclid=IwAR0w8p8_ayHR9kdD-ywEqlIFRf12vJmud5mZQuHg4lcEg5rUTCBZGTAaMvE
I've been told by a source in Houston that the Boston Celtics have significant interest in being the third team in a Rockets/76ers sign & trade.

Speculation: Boston, who has now emerged as the front runner to land Kemba Walker, will try and move in and acquire Clint Capela.

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

Im not sure I want to give up Smart to get Capela, and I think its the only way we could make this deal happen

Langford, yabusele and a pick

One ofbthe above and cash and a pick.

There are other ways.

And I can see philly liking the idea of more capspace as opposed to smart who I am not sure on the fit with simmons

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
if we can make up the 16m without giving up Smart, id be up for it.

Id like to talk to Indiana about Turner first though, but i guess beggers cant be choosers
Greg

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, it would take one of our mid-range or large contracts.

I don’t want to move Smart, but Capela is a good player on a solid contract.  The idea of Smart on Philly does make me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

If I’m Houston, I’d prefer Smart, Gordon and Tucker over Butler.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

There are other ways.

And I can see philly liking the idea of more capspace as opposed to smart who I am not sure on the fit with simmons

I am no expert on cap/trade rules, but if the C's absorb salary in the trade which I think they can as they are under the cap -- wouldn't that then mean that they won't have enough space to sign Kemba?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

There are other ways.

I am no expert on cap/trade rules, but if the C's absorb salary in the trade which I think they can as they are under the cap -- wouldn't that then mean that they won't have enough space to sign Kemba?

Correct. Those aren’t legal trades if we sign Kemba.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Love Marcus Smart. He’ll make some fan base very happy and I’ll be sad to see him go. But let’s go get Capela and contend.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1028
i trade Smart in a second..think im only one who doesnt care for him

I'm with you. Defense is great but his offense not so much. And been injured many times when he's needed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1028
Kinda weird that the 76ers want to help their division and east rival, the Celtics, out.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The topic was being discussed in the summer rumors thread since it came
Out.  The twitter originator went on to say it would be for Hayward then he continued to lose all credibility. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The topic was being discussed in the summer rumors thread since it came
Out.  The twitter originator went on to say it would be for Hayward then he continued to lose all credibility.

To be fair, the original sources might be correct about the Celtics being in on Capela and the Twitter user posting it just couldn't come up with a better scenario.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is giving up Smart in exchange for Capela really a major improvement?

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Is giving up Smart in exchange for Capela really a major improvement?

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.

I love Smart, but isn’t that Brown... and Romeo.