Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16150 times)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think Capela is being underrated.  He averaged 17 / 13 on 65% shooting, and he’s above-average as a defender.

Smart is an asset, but he’s a luxury as compared to a starting center.
I’d say it depends on the cost but if personally prefer Turner. I think he “fits” better. He’s a better defender in the paint and can give them some spacing with his ability to shoot a three. Maybe a Hayward to Indy deal for Turner and a contract Indy wants to send back makes sense for both sides. Cs get a center and loosen up the wing logjam. Indy get a chance at another all star player in local guy Hayward to pair with Oladipo and then they can pay Sabonis as well.

I don’t dislike Capella but always mindful of bigs who really can’t impact the game offensively who make big money.

Would you rather trade Smart for Capela, or Brown for Turner (let's assume you could)?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't value Capela more than Turner, because I don't trust his superior offensive value when he's not next to a one man supernova to open him up for easy dunks and put backs.

Harden missed an 8 game stretch last year. Capela averaged around 15 / 10 on 61% shooting and was a +28.

It’s a small sample size, but for 10% of the season Capela produced quite well without Harden.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't value Capela more than Turner, because I don't trust his superior offensive value when he's not next to a one man supernova to open him up for easy dunks and put backs.

Harden missed an 8 game stretch last year. Capela averaged around 15 / 10 on 61% shooting and was a +28.

It’s a small sample size, but for 10% of the season Capela produced quite well without Harden.

Good info Roy, really helps me realize if I had to to move Smart to get Capela I would. Not just for the need at center but also to loosen up the log jam of wings. IMO that was a huge locker room problem last year and I understand people wanting more PT.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:10:15 AM by dreamgreen »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Could we S&T Rozier to a team with cap,(and who actually wants him) to open up space if we sign Walker, so that we could go after Capela. Or does that have to happen before the signing?

Also Saltlover said we could S&T Rozier to the Hornets since hey may be interested and wouldn't really have the cap to sign him out right. Would that keep enough open to absorb Capela, or keep Horfod?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Last year CP3 was a similar force offensively though and glancing at the game logs it looks like CP3 played those 8 games.

I'm just skeptical he wouldn't struggle similar to Turner to impact the game offensively without the ability to play off such dominance. Capela is a much better rebounder and vertical spacer, Turner can shoot the ball and space that way and is was a better defender the last two years (though Capela is also very good)

I think I value them about the same, if Turner would shoot more of the 3s he has available to him I might lean towards him. But similar to Horford he takes a while to wind up and doesn't seem to want to take 4 in a row if they are there.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Could we S&T Rozier to a team with cap,(and who actually wants him) to open up space if we sign Walker, so that we could go after Capela. Or does that have to happen before the signing?

Also Saltlover said we could S&T Rozier to the Hornets since hey may be interested and wouldn't really have the cap to sign him out right. Would that keep enough open to absorb Capela, or keep Horfod?
I think in the post Saltlover made about that it would enable us to get Horford / Adams, or whoever else. I would assume Capela would fall under that umbrella?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Last year CP3 was a similar force offensively though and glancing at the game logs it looks like CP3 played those 8 games.

I'm just skeptical he wouldn't struggle similar to Turner to impact the game offensively without the ability to play off such dominance. Capela is a much better rebounder and vertical spacer, Turner can shoot the ball and space that way and is was a better defender the last two years (though Capela is also very good)

I think I value them about the same, if Turner would shoot more of the 3s he has available to him I might lean towards him. But similar to Horford he takes a while to wind up and doesn't seem to want to take 4 in a row if they are there.

How do you see Kemba on that CP3/Harden dominance continuum?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would like Capela, but I don't want Smart or Brown in Philly.

Now the Hayward idea, I could be ok with it with the extra depth and that Boston likely only does it if it believes he will not be star level soon.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

How do you see Kemba on that CP3/Harden dominance continuum?
I think Kemba is more in the IT4/Kyrie category. Definitely can create looks and space for his teammates but not the sort of gravity that a Harden (MVP level) type can create.

Of course I don't think Stevens would run the extreme 3 shooters, 1 dunker, and isolate all game system even if he had a Harden/KD type who could run it.

Looking up Kemba's iso numbers he's 82 percentile with 2 per game, a bit better than Kyrie with one less per game. Harden's isolation numbers are so silly they look like data errors when compared to the rest of the league.

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Now the Hayward idea, I could be ok with it with the extra depth and that Boston likely only does it if it believes he will not be star level soon.

Been seeing this thought a lot, we don't want Smart in Philly. Is there a version of this trade where Smart goes to Houston?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Been seeing this thought a lot, we don't want Smart in Philly. Is there a version of this trade where Smart goes to Houston?
No.

If Houston has CP3/Harden/Jimmy and are hard capped at the apron they cannot afford a contract the size of Smart's

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..
Shocking overpay in my opinion

Who would trade Jaylen instead of Smart?
I don't wanna trade either!

I'd trade Smart over and over and over again.

Jaylen Brown- proven on offense and defense and can keep growing.
Marcus Smart- excellent hustle-defense, bad offense. Can't stay healthy in critical times, though, but that's just my viewpoint of him.

Make it happen Danny! Get us Kemba Walker and Clint Capela!
If it was between Smart and Brown I'd definitely move Smart. But I wouldn't trade Smart and a pick for Capela

I wouldn’t wanna throw in a pick because I prefer Smart to Capela outright, but Smart + Yabu for Capela reduces wing clutter and gives us the starting big we need so it’s tempting. But I’d prefer an Indy big to Capella and I imagine Turner is the guy they deal, not Sabonis.

Would you trade Smart, Yabu, and maybe a lottery or top 20 protected 1st for Myles Turner?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Before the draft, Houston had discussions with the Brooklyn Nets, Boston Celtics and New Orleans Pelicans about a possible trade involving Capela, including the possibility of moving him for the fourth overall pick in those proceedings. – via The Athletic

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..
Shocking overpay in my opinion

Who would trade Jaylen instead of Smart?
I don't wanna trade either!

I'd trade Smart over and over and over again.

Jaylen Brown- proven on offense and defense and can keep growing.
Marcus Smart- excellent hustle-defense, bad offense. Can't stay healthy in critical times, though, but that's just my viewpoint of him.

Make it happen Danny! Get us Kemba Walker and Clint Capela!
If it was between Smart and Brown I'd definitely move Smart. But I wouldn't trade Smart and a pick for Capela

I wouldn’t wanna throw in a pick because I prefer Smart to Capela outright, but Smart + Yabu for Capela reduces wing clutter and gives us the starting big we need so it’s tempting. But I’d prefer an Indy big to Capella and I imagine Turner is the guy they deal, not Sabonis.

Would you trade Smart, Yabu, and maybe a lottery or top 20 protected 1st for Myles Turner?

YES!

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm skeptical it is us just because it'd need to be a 3 team deal with either 76ers themselves or a 4th team.

But who knows!