Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16137 times)

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..
Shocking overpay in my opinion

Who would trade Jaylen instead of Smart?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..

I don't wanna trade either!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Me either but we need a big.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I agree, but I think we can find some exception level big rather than overpay for Capela, who I don't rate very highly

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I agree, but I think we can find some exception level big rather than overpay for Capela, who I don't rate very highly
I think ainge is hoping to replace rozier and smart with all the guards he drafted

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Proposed deals have #Celtics trade pick for Capela...EG & PJ head to Philly in Butler deal with the 1st acquired from Boston. Butler heads to HTown.

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/21/nba-free-agency-2019-centers/

There are a lot of bigman out there

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

I'd trade Smart over and over and over again.

Jaylen Brown- proven on offense and defense and can keep growing.
Marcus Smart- excellent hustle-defense, bad offense. Can't stay healthy in critical times, though, but that's just my viewpoint of him.

Make it happen Danny! Get us Kemba Walker and Clint Capela!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd trade Smart over and over and over again.

Jaylen Brown- proven on offense and defense and can keep growing.
Marcus Smart- excellent hustle-defense, bad offense. Can't stay healthy in critical times, though, but that's just my viewpoint of him.

Make it happen Danny! Get us Kemba Walker and Clint Capela!
If it was between Smart and Brown I'd definitely move Smart. But I wouldn't trade Smart and a pick for Capela

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
i trade Smart in a second..think im only one who doesnt care for him

You absolutely are not - I'm right there with you lol

Ironically this is EXACTLY the idea I thought up this morning and brought up in one of the threads.  Except that to my knowledge none of those three teams have cap space, so my idea was:

* Boston sends Gordon Hayward to Philly ($32,700,690)
* Philly sends Jimmy Butler to Houston in S&T
* Houston sends Clint Capella ($16,896,552) and PJ Tucker ($8,349,039) and Nene ($3,825,360) to Boston

Philly would be taking a gamble on Hayward - but if he proves healthy and returns to form, he'd be a PERFECT fit there.
 His outside shooting ability is exactly what Philly needs, and he has a modest enough ego that he will probably have no problems taking a #3 role next to Embiid and Simmons.    If it doesn't work out, then he becomes an expiring contract next season so the risk isn't THAT high. 

Houston gets their man in Butler.

Boston picks up a young starting calibre center who is locked in to a bargain contract for the next 3-4 years, and a serviceable and versatile role player in Tucker.

Boston could then move forward with a starting 5 of:

Clint Capella
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Kemba Walker

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

But not many who could (and would be willing to) produce on anything close to Capella's level for < $6m a year.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

But not many who could (and would be willing to) produce on anything close to Capella's level for < $6m a year.
6M?    Capela's making almost 17M next season. 

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
i trade Smart in a second..think im only one who doesnt care for him

You absolutely are not - I'm right there with you lol

Ironically this is EXACTLY the idea I thought up this morning and brought up in one of the threads.  Except that to my knowledge none of those three teams have cap space, so my idea was:

* Boston sends Gordon Hayward to Philly ($32,700,690)
* Philly sends Jimmy Butler to Houston in S&T
* Houston sends Clint Capella ($16,896,552) and PJ Tucker ($8,349,039) and Nene ($3,825,360) to Boston

Philly would be taking a gamble on Hayward - but if he proves healthy and returns to form, he'd be a PERFECT fit there.
 His outside shooting ability is exactly what Philly needs, and he has a modest enough ego that he will probably have no problems taking a #3 role next to Embiid and Simmons.    If it doesn't work out, then he becomes an expiring contract next season so the risk isn't THAT high. 

Houston gets their man in Butler.

Boston picks up a young starting calibre center who is locked in to a bargain contract for the next 3-4 years, and a serviceable and versatile role player in Tucker.

Boston could then move forward with a starting 5 of:

Clint Capella
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Kemba Walker
That's godawful for the Sixers.  The Sixers would be much better off just losing Butler and using all that cap space that is freed up. 

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I assume he was saying that not many centers we could get for the $4.5-$6 million we could offer would be close to what Capela gives.

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

Yeah I know. 

But if Boston signs Kemba Walker to a max deal, then my understanding is they will only have about $1,5M left ($4.5m maybe if they can find a way to dump Yabusele). And we need to cut pretty much all of our free agents in order to get there. 

That doesn't leave Boston with a lot of cap space to sign a starting caliber center, nor does it leave them with a lot of spare roster pieces to trade for one, 

Bringing in a big like Capella, who is a nightly double double (nearly 17 and 13 last season), solves the problem of Boston not having a starting caliber center for the upcoming season.

However the fact that he's only he's only 25 years old, has improved his stats every year in the league, and is signed to a reasonable deal for 4 years...that means it also solves Boston's hole at the center spot for the the future as well.

Most deals are made with the goal of either win now, or build for the future.  Capella can help Boston now AND in the future, and it's rare to find deals like that - especially when the player is on a reasonably good value contract. This is the type of deal Danny lives for, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many other deals out there that are actually doable, that are better for the team then this one is.