Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16171 times)

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
i trade Smart in a second..think im only one who doesnt care for him

I am with you!  Smart for Capela without a second thought.

As much as Smart hustles he still is a liability on offense, and not a starting PG.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Capela would be nice but I'm also interested in setting our sights a little higher in order to become a great team. I have no idea if KAT is available now, but I would make a serious offer now, and if rejected, I would continue to closely monitor what I expect to be a deteriorating competitive situation in Minnesota ripe for a total rebuild.

Career 22.3PTS  11.9REB   53.7%FG%  39.2%3P%  83.6%FT%

Smart, Jaylen Brown, Langford, Memphis pick, 2020 Celtics 1st Round pick.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Smart and a 1st rounder for Capela is a good deal.

Celts get the starting Center they need.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Really hate the idea of losing our two best defenders and leaders in one offseason
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
If it means dealing Smart/Brown in any sort of deal, then HELL NO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Capela would be nice but I'm also interested in setting our sights a little higher in order to become a great team. I have no idea if KAT is available now, but I would make a serious offer now, and if rejected, I would continue to closely monitor what I expect to be a deteriorating competitive situation in Minnesota ripe for a total rebuild.

KAT is not available. Come back in about 3 years.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

KAT is not available. Come back in about 3 years.
Yeah, sadly even Minnesota aren't dumb enough to ship KAT

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Is giving up Smart in exchange for Capela really a major improvement?

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.

I love Smart, but isn’t that Brown... and Romeo.

Smart or Brown needs to be traded for a center. If Ainge doesn't want to pay Brown a big contract next year, than Brown needs to yield a starting caliber center. Otherwise you keep the most talented player and Smart has to go, plus a pick perhaps.

Didn't want to go after another undersized scorer, but now we have gone on the Walker-route it makes a lot of sense to trade for Capela. Fills a huge hole in the roster, positionally and fit.

Also if we 'keep' Walker-Smart-Brown on the roster (+ our wing rotation Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye) there are basically no minutes available for Langford. Don't like the pick at all, but if you're that high on him than you need to give him minutes to play.

no need to rush and trade either of those 2 guys. none at all. and Tatum or Horford can play PF, not ideal, but better than trading smart.

Looney, Noel, Vonleh, Robin Lopez, Zach Collins Jakob Poeltl, theis, Okafor, Maker, OQuinn,  all guys that could be gotten at far less of a cost, and I firmly believe still makes playoffs. then next year there is poentiall 3 first round picks and capspace. address center then.

Could we not do a Smart + Yabu + protected pick trade for a Capela or Turner, and then hopefully sign one of the above guys to an exception so we have 2 quality big men instead of 1 or 0?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:42:04 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Hate to say it, but I think trading Smart for Capela is a mistake.

Smart can go out there, shoot 2-9, frustrate everyone with missing shots, but at the end of the game you look in the boxscore he has a positive +/-, and frustrated the other team's best perimeter player.

IMO, we're closer to winning the East with Smart + Room exception big than we are with Capela here and Smart in Philly.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Smart can go out there, shoot 2-9, frustrate everyone with missing shots, but at the end of the game you look in the boxscore he has a positive +/-, and frustrated the other team's best perimeter player.

IMO, we're closer to winning the East with Smart + Room exception big than we are with Capela here and Smart in Philly.
I 100% agree

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Agree. Smart stays. Forget Capela

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Is giving up Smart in exchange for Capela really a major improvement?

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.

I love Smart, but isn’t that Brown... and Romeo.

Smart or Brown needs to be traded for a center. If Ainge doesn't want to pay Brown a big contract next year, than Brown needs to yield a starting caliber center. Otherwise you keep the most talented player and Smart has to go, plus a pick perhaps.

Didn't want to go after another undersized scorer, but now we have gone on the Walker-route it makes a lot of sense to trade for Capela. Fills a huge hole in the roster, positionally and fit.

Also if we 'keep' Walker-Smart-Brown on the roster (+ our wing rotation Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye) there are basically no minutes available for Langford. Don't like the pick at all, but if you're that high on him than you need to give him minutes to play.

no need to rush and trade either of those 2 guys. none at all. and Tatum or Horford can play PF, not ideal, but better than trading smart.

Looney, Noel, Vonleh, Robin Lopez, Zach Collins Jakob Poeltl, theis, Okafor, Maker, OQuinn,  all guys that could be gotten at far less of a cost, and I firmly believe still makes playoffs. then next year there is poentiall 3 first round picks and capspace. address center then.

Could we not do a Smart + Yabu + protected pick trade for a Capela or Turner, and then hopefully sign one of the above guys to an exception so we have 2 quality big men instead of 1 or 0?
Capela's not good enough to justify trading Smart.  I do like Turner but I have no desire to trade Smart within the conference

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The Celtics currently have nobody that can guard Joel Embid or Giannis. Capella is the best option. A healthy Hayward is better than Jaylen Brown. I would send Brown, Yabusele and a pick for Capella. It’s worth it. Langford is a 2 Guard that can play point, he’s more skilled than a lot of you realize...but Boston can’t advance without someone that can slow down Embid and Giannis..

why do you think that Capela is more valuable than Brown?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Shocking overpay in my opinion