Author Topic: Hayward for Adams + Filler: Who says no?  (Read 4338 times)

Re: Hayward for Adams + Filler: Who says no?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Good idea, but I think that a third team would need to be in on this, and that team gets Hayward.

Something like: (has to be done by June 30th)

Hayward Bucks pick to Cleveland
TT to OKC
Smith and Adams to Boston

Smith gets contract dropped and team is left with an additional 12 mill in cap.

Kemba/Edwards/Waters
Smart/Langford
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Adams/Williams
I came here just to know if you were the OP. You weren't, but here you are with another Hayward trade idea...  Never ends

To answer the OP: Danny, Stevens and Presti say no.

Stalker much?
Hayward has zero trade value so why would you think any team wants his contract

Celtics strong.

Where hayward has no value but will probably be the best player on the team next season.
Not sure that this is a CelticsStrong thing. I think it's easy to see that as trade value, Hayward has little value to teams across the league due to the uncertainty of his playing any better than he did last year. On top of that, he has possibly another $66+ million due to him over the next two years. That's a massive negative if he never regains his form.

But, there is the chance that he does return to the same quality of player he was in Utah, and if he does that, he could very easily be the best overall player on the team next year.

So you see, that's not a CelticsStrong thing, that's very much a reality thing. Hayward probably currently has no trade value and yet, it is possible he is the best Celtic player on the team next year.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Both teams say no. The idea of trading Hayward right now is just silly it's NOT going to happen for many reasons. Most importantly if he's healthy next year which I believe he will be, he will be by far the best player on the team.

For OKC I'm of the understanding they would trade Stevens for a salary cap dump so this would not help them in anyway.

best player on this team?

Hayward, will be 4th best player on this team next season, IF he is healthy.

Kemba, Brown, Tatum will all be better.

I'm going to guess you didn't watch much of Hayward in Utah? He was really good, in the playoffs he was having 30 point games, taking it to the basket, rebounding, passing, he's a complete player that can take over games.

That was 2 years ago and we have no idea of that player still exists. We all hope it does, but it's far from a guarantee.

Well that's the question if he can get back to 100% we will be really excited!

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I do.

My oldest son is getting me a Gordon Hayward CELTICS jersey for my birthday.

I'm going to look like an absolute BOSS wearing that thing next year - as he rounds back into All-Star form.

Keep him in Green and see his recovery through, please.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I do.

I'm going to look like an absolute BOSS wearing that thing next year - as he rounds back into All-Star form.

well that isnt a good reason the not want to trade a player.

What if he never fully recovers? how will you look rocking a gordon jersey then?

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Good idea, but I think that a third team would need to be in on this, and that team gets Hayward.

TT to OKC

Kemba/Edwards/Waters
Smart/Langford
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Adams/Williams
I came here just to know if you were the OP. You weren't, but here you are with another Hayward trade idea...  Never ends

Stalker much?

Celtics strong.

Where hayward has no value but will probably be the best player on the team next season.
Not sure that this is a CelticsStrong thing. I think it's easy to see that as trade value, Hayward has little value to teams across the league due to the uncertainty of his playing any better than he did last year. On top of that, he has possibly another $66+ million due to him over the next two years. That's a massive negative if he never regains his form.

But, there is the chance that he does return to the same quality of player he was in Utah, and if he does that, he could very easily be the best overall player on the team next year.

So you see, that's not a CelticsStrong thing, that's very much a reality thing. Hayward probably currently has no trade value and yet, it is possible he is the best Celtic player on the team next year.

thats utter nonsense.

A players value is the potential. you either have it or you dont. its why some players get chosen sooner than others in the draft. Either Hayward is viewed as having the potential to return to form, or he doesnt. and that has as much value on him as his play last season.

I bet Cousins gets a 20 mill a season contract, and he looked as bad as Hayward, but the potential is there.

that is only a recent example, this has happened many times.

Now he might not return an allstar calibre level trade package, but if he was 100% healthy I am not sure how great a package he would return as he is a 60 mill contract and he isnt and has never been a top 20 player, but he has trade value.

and if he is the best player on the celtics next season then the celtics will suck.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I do.

well that isnt a good reason the not want to trade a player.

What if he never fully recovers? how will you look rocking a gordon jersey then?

I get that jersey I'm wearing it.

I'm not counting the man out.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

TT to OKC

Kemba/Edwards/Waters
Smart/Langford
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Adams/Williams

Stalker much?

Celtics strong.

thats utter nonsense.

A players value is the potential. you either have it or you dont. its why some players get chosen sooner than others in the draft. Either Hayward is viewed as having the potential to return to form, or he doesnt. and that has as much value on him as his play last season.

I bet Cousins gets a 20 mill a season contract, and he looked as bad as Hayward, but the potential is there.

Now he might not return an allstar calibre level trade package, but if he was 100% healthy I am not sure how great a package he would return as he is a 60 mill contract and he isnt and has never been a top 20 player, but he has trade value.

and if he is the best player on the celtics next season then the celtics will suck.

Players have different values to different teams all the time, and Hayward is more valuable in Boston than anywhere else. He chose to sign here, he plays for his college coach, he knows the system, we have all the best medical info on him, etc, etc. The salary is a sunk cost that can't be changed. There's also not a person alive that knows whether he'll regain his old form, but Boston has the most information and best chance of realizing that outcome.

He was also the best player on a 51-win team in a tough Western Conference two years ago, and easily their best player in the playoffs when they lost in the 2nd round to Golden State. They did all that with George Hill and Rodney Hood as their starting guards.

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

TT to OKC

Kemba/Edwards/Waters
Smart/Langford
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Adams/Williams

Stalker much?

Celtics strong.

thats utter nonsense.

Sure, potential matters - in both the positive and the negative. Hayward has the potential to return to form and be the player he was in Utah, but he also has the potential to never return to form, and instead be a huge drain on a team's cap space for 2 years.  As a GM, you have to consider both the positive AND the negative, and weigh them against each other.  Just saying "well he could be good, so we can ignore all the downside if he isn't" doesn't work in the real world.

It's present in drafting, too.  You don't just take the guy with the most potential, you factor in the downside: if he busts, and you could have instead taken a better/actually useful player with the pick. You have to weigh the upside (and the chances of them reaching that upside) with the downside (and the chances of that happening)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

TT to OKC

Kemba/Edwards/Waters
Smart/Langford
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Adams/Williams

Stalker much?

Celtics strong.

thats utter nonsense.

Now now!! Let's be nice. No reason to insult my response.

Value is very much subjective so different teams will value the same player differently. In the NBA, due to the uncertainty of performance, risk must be factored into value.

If you are another GM and the Celtics come knocking trying to trade Hayward, because of the amount of money owed him and the uncertainty of performance because of his injury and tough first year of recovery, there is a lot of risk in tying up 30% of your salary cap for two years for a guy who has a possibility of never returning to Utah form and so get little return on your dollar. Therefore, as that GM Danny calls in trying to trade Hayward, you may come to the conclusion Hayward his little to no value due to the risk of return, so decide on not trading for him or offer only deals that are ridiculously in your favor. It's conceivable every GM across the way feels that way and does those things.

So Ainge, may find out, the only offers he gets are offers that aren't worth making because he values Hayward higher because he has way more info on Hayward's progress since the end of the season.

There is the explanation why Hayward can have no value around the league.

And, let's face it, if Hayward returns to being the player he was in Utah, and yes, that is a very real possibility, he will probably be the team's best player.