Author Topic: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules  (Read 24317 times)

Re: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
BTW, Steven Adams went to Notre Dame Prep for a year (Massachusetts Connections). I'm reaching here...

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Really hard to believe Kemba to the Celtics.

I mean are the Celts trying to be the NBA team with the most midgets?

Carsen Edwards
Tremont Waters
Kemba?

Is Ainge trying to assemble a team of midgets?

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 06:00:26 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
BTW, Steven Adams went to Notre Dame Prep for a year (Massachusetts Connections). I'm reaching here...

Yea I'm on the Steven Adams bandwagon too! Love to have someone physical like him, need it against Embiid!!

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kemba is another ball dominant PG that would slow down the growth of Tatum and Brown

It is time to give the keys to Tatum, Brown and Hayward.... and see what this trio can do

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kemba is another ball dominant PG that would slow down the growth of Tatum and Brown

It is time to give the keys to Tatum, Brown and Hayward.... and see what this trio can do

Yea I am worried about another ball dominant PG. If I had to choose I'd go for front court help over a PG.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ya if I'm the nets and I watched the celtics reap the benefits of that KG trade for five years and I get to choose between draft picks and watching the celtics completely implode I'm picking implode. Kemba, Horford and run it back is a competitor, Kemba with no way to bring back Horford and rozier+Morris renounced is not.

It is why I said this proposal is easier done with a Western Conference team.

And why are you not working for the Celtic's front office?  Seriously, Mike Zarren would kill to have someone like you.

Thanks!  I wish...

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

As for Adams, if you did a S&T with Horford the same as described here with Irving, he might wind up making enough from his new team such that you could simply get a trade exception that would be large enough to cover Adams if that’s how you wanted to proceed — it wouldn’t necessarily have to be a 3-way deal.

I would miss Horford tho, and thus would prefer him to Adams.  But Adams and Walker could both be Celtics in a manner similar to Horford and Walker.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
TP Salty.

Question: I was under the impression that you couldn’t add any other salary to a TPE in order to trade for a player of a higher salary that is larger than the amount of the TPE itself - is this not true?

I swore I remembered that coming up with Pierce’s TP when we were trading it, but maybe I’m mistaken.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
TP Salty.

Question: I was under the impression that you couldn’t add any other salary to a TPE in order to trade for a player of a higher salary that is larger than the amount of the TPE itself - is this not true?

I swore I remembered that coming up with Pierce’s TP when we were trading it, but maybe I’m mistaken.

It depends if it’s a simultaneous or non-simultaneous trade.  What I describe in my post is a simultaneous three-way trade.  In that case, Irving’s salary could be combined with someone else to match up to 125% of the combined amount.  As a sign-and-trade example, this is how we acquired Courtney Lee, sending multiple small contracts to Houston for him, but also sending Sasha Pavlovic to Portland in a sign-and-trade to get up to the correct dollar amount.  With Pierce, because we were able to acquire an exception to be used in the future as a result of the trade, we could not add in any other contracts to aggregate the total amount we could take back.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 06:44:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
TP Salty.

It depends if it’s a simultaneous or non-simultaneous trade.  What I describe in my post is a simultaneous three-way trade.  In that case, Irving’s salary could be combined with someone else to match up to 125% of the combined amount.  As a sign-and-trade example, this is how we acquired Courtney Lee, sending multiple small contracts to Houston for him, but also sending Sasha Pavlovic to Portland in a sign-and-trade to get up to the correct dollar amount.  With Pierce, because we were able to acquire an exception to be used in the future as a result of the trade, we could not add in any other contracts to aggregate the total amount we could take back.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
IDK if fantasy sports are your thing, Saltlover, but you'd be perfect for the DKC League.  It might be a good outlet for you to exercise your CBA knowledge.  DKC GM's who are good at using the CBA to their benefit usually do well.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
All things being equal I'd rather the Celtics sign a big to replace Al Horford. But all things aren't equal, Kemba is better than any player we can realistically get in free agency. They should add the best player they can to improve the team.

This was an amazing post, TP to the OP. If we could keep Horford and sign and trade for Kemba then I think the Celtics would be a contender. Unfortunately, I think the Nets wouldn't do a sign and trade and I expect Kyrie to go there. If he wants to go to the Lakers then I think we would have a real chance at the sign and trade. This is probably the best possible outcome I can think of.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:50:25 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:58 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Pass on Al...his time has pass on this team..no need to give him a long contract
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 08:19:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Pass on Al...his time has pass on this team..no need to give him a long contract

I’m starting to agree with this thinking. Great guy and player but I don’t see how Walker+Horford can yield better results than Irving+Horford, besides the obvious chemistry issues and personalities clashing going on last season.

But if we can get a large TPE for Irving, I’d rather chase other players if we are keeping Horford. Maybe try for another big next to him and see what can happen with Hayward. I could live with Smart starting knowing the offense can also run through Hayward and Horford.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

As for Adams, if you did a S&T with Horford the same as described here with Irving, he might wind up making enough from his new team such that you could simply get a trade exception that would be large enough to cover Adams if that’s how you wanted to proceed — it wouldn’t necessarily have to be a 3-way deal.

I would miss Horford tho, and thus would prefer him to Adams.  But Adams and Walker could both be Celtics in a manner similar to Horford and Walker.

Was just going to ask if we could do this scenario.  TP.  It seems like Horford will be long gone, and given his age a hefty contract might be a little risky.  I would love to pull off an Adams Walker coup for this offseason.