Author Topic: If Nerlens Noel opts out, any interest in bringing him in?  (Read 6584 times)

If Nerlens Noel opts out, any interest in bringing him in?
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, so I have to admit, Nerlens was my neighbor and he grew up with my son. Always thought him a good kid, though sometimes he hasn't surrounded himself with good people. Wish he was more like his older brother Jim.

But Nerlens has unbelievable defensive skills and can rebound...something I love in big guys. If I am Danny, I would think about bringing him home and using him in the 2nd/3rd center position with Baynes.

As we saw last year, this team has a difficult time with the pick and roll when opposing teams are sending bigs rolling to the rim. I think Nerlens would be a great tool for shutting that stuff down, if it looks like that is the way a team is going to attack the Celtics.

Yes, I know Nerlens has some baggage. Yes, I know he has acted immaturely in the past. But the kid still has DPOY potential. Perhaps Ainge and Stevens can bring that out of him and make him finally realize his potential.

I think he would come fairly cheap. Probably be able to give him some of the BLE, not the whole thing. For the money it would cost, I think it would be a good gamble. And it would allow Williams to go to Maine for the year to get playing time and develop.

Re: If Nerlens Noel opts out, any interest in bringing him in?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Definitely. Big fan.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd be interested. Good player and I love defense-first-players.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd be interested. Good player and I love defense-first-players.
Uh he's not a defense first player, he's a shot block first player or wild overhelp first player.

He messes up defensive rotations and box out responsibilities almost as often as he makes the correct ones. The talent is certainly there, just needs to put it together...

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm fine with talent play like him, the only issue I see is that I don't think there is room for more than one backup C type to develop on a team. I worry that if we sign him both him and Timelord won't get enough minutes to progress like they need to.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If he doesn’t cost MLE, we should definitely give him a look. I always thought he had great defensive skills. CBS needs to coach him through his mistakes though
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd be so for this. He's an amazing defender. I still remember his crazy rookie season where he nearly averaged 2SPG and 2BPG.

His per-minute numbers on OKC were quite staggering, especially on defence. Plus he's a passable free throw shooter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I doubt Stevens wants a player like Noel, and remember, Stevens has an equal say in personnel as per his contract. I heard Ainge say that.

In my view, it was a mistake for the Celtics to give a young coach with no NBA experience such leverage in a contract.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Absolutely if he's willing to take 3M or less so that we have a sizeable chunk of the MLE to throw at a vet.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I mean, I’ve always been a big fan of Noel, but I do have to wonder why we would try to add him when we have Timelord already? Not saying that Timelord is anywhere near ready at this point, but he has similar potential as Noel and needs those minutes to develop. Given that we have both Horford (assuming) abd Baynes already, I’d prefer to push those minutes to Timelord and try to get him up to par to be our longtime starting five. I think he could eventually be what Noel was supposed to be or something akin to a Clint Capela type.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I mean, I’ve always been a big fan of Noel, but I do have to wonder why we would try to add him when we have Timelord already? Not saying that Timelord is anywhere near ready at this point, but he has similar potential as Noel and needs those minutes to develop. Given that we have both Horford (assuming) abd Baynes already, I’d prefer to push those minutes to Timelord and try to get him up to par to be our longtime starting five. I think he could eventually be what Noel was supposed to be or something akin to a Clint Capela type.

I don’t know. Time lord looked lost a bunch and was only good for blocking shots and lobs (plus a spectacular offensive rebound every other game). He still looks real raw though and is probably a couple of years away from contributing meaningful minutes. By then, Noel’s contract would’ve expired.
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:20:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I could see maybe giving him cheap $$ to compete with Baynes and Rob Williams for a 10-20 minute rotation role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd be so for this. He's an amazing defender. I still remember his crazy rookie season where he nearly averaged 2SPG and 2BPG.

His per-minute numbers on OKC were quite staggering, especially on defence. Plus he's a passable free throw shooter.
I second this. Plus if I remember correctly, he actually made those horrid Phily teams much better on defense when he was on the court. I wasn't just the stats. My only problem would be if he can keep his head on straight while here, since he seemed to be a bit of a headcase in Dallas. Other than that, I don't see why we shouldn't offer the MLE.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
wouldn't be against him being signed to a 1 or 2 year deal (team option second year) if he's cheap.  would allow us not to rely on Baynes' health nor Williams' development to have a decent big man backing up Al (or even Baynes when he's healthy).  the 2-year deal may really be to our advantage should he prove to be a real asset where we can rely on him that second year and not have to worry about resigning Baynes.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Williams was too raw to rely on for steady minutes next year.

The team needs a dependable veteran big man like Noel.