Author Topic: Who's your favorite sport's analyst(retired player)?  (Read 9580 times)

Re: Who's your favorite sport's analyst(retired player)?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I like/hate listening to knicks broadcasts because of Clyde Frazier. I hate his homerism (I live in NY so I see the knicks all the time), but I love his deadpan humor when they suck

He just sounds like your sarcastic stoner friend.

"Randolph has the ball at the top of the key..and he shoots it. Wow, I guess that shot was too good to pass up! The Hornets grab the airball and are pushing it back upcourt..."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
A non-Celtics announcer that is a former player. Let's see, Kenny Smith has been mentioned a few times and is a good choice. Dominique Wilkins is growing on me (he's a Hawk in my mind). 

I think Doug Collins would be my pick.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I grew up on Mike and Tommy and I find it hard to listen to the C's in any other way. I do however find Cedric Maxwell to be entertaining.

Other than C's guys...

I've always thought Barkley was hilarious, but he never seems to give any love to the Celtics. I like that he says whatever he feels, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. I like him even more for telling Lebron to shut the hell up! ;D

Greg Anthony is a pretty good analyst. I've only heard him call a few NBA games but I like listening to him at halftime and such.

I can't stand Stephen A. Smith. Never have, never will.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I grew up on Mike and Tommy and I find it hard to listen to the C's in any other way. I do however find Cedric Maxwell to be entertaining.

Other than C's guys...

I've always thought Barkley was hilarious, but he never seems to give any love to the Celtics. I like that he says whatever he feels, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. I like him even more for telling Lebron to shut the hell up! ;D

Greg Anthony is a pretty good analyst. I've only heard him call a few NBA games but I like listening to him at halftime and such.

What did Stephen A. Smith ever play? I can't stand him either. Acts like he knows everything. Has the audacity to argue with players about basketball strategy by shouting out cliches. I feel bad for Jalen Rose when they are paired up together.

Gary Payton is pretty bad. Wannabee Barkley without the charm. Barkley is effective because he doesn't try to be cool or witty. He also doesn't care if you make fun of him. Payton tries too hard.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I have to go with Kenny Smith, though he doesn't call games. He is intelligent, insightful, and balanced. He should run for governor before Barkley.

The weirdest is Brad Daughtery doing Nascar analysis for ESPN. That surprised me the one time I watched Sportscenter in the last year.

I like Cedric Maxwell too, especially when he is a guest on the afternoon sports radio shows. Hilarious. It would be fun if he did more Celtics TV games.

For baseball, Ron Darling is my favorite. Very insightful and intelligent. I'm glad to see him get picked up for national broadcasts, so long as he continues to do Mets broadcasts too. We need someone like him for the Celtics, who is insightful, has history with the team, and is balanced. Max is a little too goofy to fit that role.
You know Kenny is probably tied for  being my favorite because he and Steve are both very intelligent without being boring and bias.I feel what you saying about  Brad Daughtery...i think its his West Virginia roots that give him that Nascar background somewhat.Brad is a unique kind of guy. Max is great,funny with it.Max will hopefully someday join the Comcast team.tp for your interesting post. :)

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I enjoyed Doc and Steve Kerr when they were in the booth. If it's not Mike and Tommy, JVG and Mark Jackson are the best of the TNT/ESPN/ABC group. I really hate Mike Breen and Kevin Harlan even though neither were players.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

Other than C's guys...

I don't think Stephen A.Smith  was ever an NBA player,but i agree with you as far as not liking him as a analyst .

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
mike smith of the clippers...he has a good feel for the nba game and relates historical references to today's game.  i like him a lot...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 09:59:41 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
mike smith of the clippers...he has a good feel for the nba game and relates historical references to today's game.  i like him a lot...

Smith is good. Actually he and Lawler do a really good job for the Clippers.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jon Barry for ESPN is execellent. He is bright, and is pretty good at avoiding cliche, and discerning a trend quickly. Most are not. They just read the newspapers before the game and regurgitate the same garbage.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:35 AM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
From a comedic standpoint, I love Clyde Frazier. I've actually always liked Greg Anthony's contributions over the years as a legit commentator.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't mind Clyde at all. He makes up a ton of words - and uses a ton wrong but he is amusing and yet low key. I think JVG is the best but he didn't play. Walton is funny too. People think he is an idiot but I think he is just kidding around.

I remember one time when he was commenting on Kandiman. And he is like wherever KANDI goes disaster is SURE TO FOLLOW. He said that like a dozen times during the game. And next year he came to the C's and we won 24 games... <g>

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Tommy!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
Tommy!
now tell us who your non-Celtics retired NBA analyst?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:37:14 PM by housecall »

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Charles Barkley. He has rubbed me the wrong way on a few occassions but I think that can be said with most analyst. The bottom line is he's not afraid to be honest and will say what a lost of announcers are thinking but don't say because they are are trying to be politically correct. The Van Gundy and Jackson team also gives me a good laugh.